Quantcast

Smart Phones and Blackberry's

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
Have you upgraded to os v4.7.0.148? Or are you still using 4.7.0.78? .78 was crap, .148 is much, much better. Still far from perfect, but its much more of a usable phone now.
Not sure what firmware it had on it. If there was an upgrade in the last few months I would be curious to see the improvements.

My buddy has the latest version of the hardware/firmware and is still not impressed.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Better integration to the OS in general, far better push, and in my experience its more compatible with a wider number of email accounts. You can also integrate them all into a single inbox.

edit: plus you get several free bb email accounts
We use a windows exchange server here at the office and I haven't had any problems pushing them to my Motorola Q with window's mobile. It would be nice if I could get hotmail and gmail to work on it properly though.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
We use a windows exchange server here at the office and I haven't had any problems pushing them to my Motorola Q with window's mobile. It would be nice if I could get hotmail and gmail to work on it properly though.
Gotcha. It still surprises me that Microsoft can't get their own web based email service to work on their own mobile software :confused:

I use Gmail and one of my own servers for email, and I could never get them to push properly with WinMo. Plus when I had it set to push I couldn't even get a full day out of the battery. I had a moto Q, other people I knew that had other winmo devices had similar issues.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Gotcha. It still surprises me that Microsoft can't get their own web based email service to work on their own mobile software :confused:

I use Gmail and one of my own servers for email, and I could never get them to push properly with WinMo. Plus when I had it set to push I couldn't even get a full day out of the battery. I had a moto Q, other people I knew that had other winmo devices had similar issues.
I get a full day's battery out of my moto q. We've been using them here at the office for over 3yrs and they've done us well but we're ready to move on.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
what's the story with the HTC Ozone? Don't know anyone with one, but they have a happy following in the review section of the verizon site.
Not sure, but I have not heard any major complaints about any HTC devices. The majority of minor complaints I've heard stem from the OS that some of them are loaded with (WinMo).

Mike B.

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2001
State College, PA
Gmail on the Blackberry is so-so right now as it is only a one way sync but there is a beta of the new app coming very soon.

If you want all the dirt on the phones, head to howardforums.com

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I still like having the trackball. The storm is considerably slower to scroll through stuff than my Bold.
I have found myself at times wishing it had a track ball as well. I don't think the lack of it greatly hinders it, but it suuuuuuuure would be nice to have ;)

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
I'm the only one with a bold at work. Everyone else has a curve or storm. My boss and I were searching for more or less the same thing on the web today. Me on my bold and him on his storm. The toich screen was way slower. It seems to lack the.....inertial properties of the iphone. If you swipe your finger with some authority it will keep scrolling and then slowly stop. The old doesn't do that as "realistically" as the iphone. The trackball picks up that slack....in my opinion anyway

And I dig having the wifi

And for those keeping track, my phone seems to have healed itself. Works fine again.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I'm the only one with a bold at work. Everyone else has a curve or storm. My boss and I were searching for more or less the same thing on the web today. Me on my bold and him on his storm. The toich screen was way slower. It seems to lack the.....inertial properties of the iphone. If you swipe your finger with some authority it will keep scrolling and then slowly stop. The old doesn't do that as "realistically" as the iphone. The trackball picks up that slack....in my opinion anyway

And I dig having the wifi

And for those keeping track, my phone seems to have healed itself. Works fine again.

MMike, you are aware that the swipe sensitivity on the storm is adjustable, right?

Austin Bike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Duh, Austin
They just replaced my work blackberry (8730) with a new pearl. Love the form factor. When I travel I would spend a lot of time walking around with a camera and money clip in front pockets (no wallet on the road, pickpockets...) so having a phone that can fit in my front pocket with that stuff is great. Got tired of the phone on the hip.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Not sure who asked what so just winging it here. Last night I got online to find out when the GPS on my Omnia would get an unlock...what do you know...how about now sir!

Unlocked GPS is up and running now, so it's the main "cool" feature that iPhone had that gave Windows people no reason to buy it. iPhone app store will still blow it away for choices (but who buys all those crap gadgets besides Kenan anyway?). As for it using WinMobile, since it's touch screen, Samsung has a touch screen shell of it's own over top of the Windows Mobile and you can use Verizon's email manager called VZ Apps that comes pre-loaded for up to 10 emails..hotmail and yahoo are my current ones and work flawless thru VZ Apps.

It comes with internet explorer and Opera, but Opera smokes IE...it's honestly as easy to surf as my home computer. I find myself trying to "swipe" or "zoom" with my mouse at home now.

It's got haptic feedback, which you can turn off for better battery life and if you look at a pic of it, right between the send and end buttons, there is square D pad. It helps huge on web pages b/c you can swipe your thumb over it to zip down a row of tiny links on a web page and click exactly what you need. It's similar in form to the BB's wheel.

Oh, as for Gmail, downloading google mobile is the answer. It's free and fast. Can you download that app to a Blackberry?

The other thing is if you don't like the touch interface Samsung installs, you can download other "shells" that may be more intuitive for your personal touch.

The only MAJOR thing people have to know about the Omnia is that if you're company is like mine, the ONLY service they allow us to sync up with is Blackberry Enterprise. So, ask you I.T. guy first if that is an issue. I work in insurance so the rules for us are different.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
Just went into the Verizon shop last night and played around with a few of the toys. I just picked them up and started messing around to see how easy they were to handle and how intuitive the interfaces were. Here were my impressions:

BB Tour - Looked nice, screen was smaller than I expected. Typing was harder than expected. Trackball was awesome. Web browsing seemed OK, but I only found stepped levels of zoom, not the infinite adjust of the pinch/spread available on the iPhones I've handled. I didn't like the calendar appearance; not sure if that is a skin that is changeable, but it looked meh. The web stuff moved slower than I expected - boo the sluggish.

BB Storm - I liked it. The screen was big enough, and the touch keys felt good and were big enough for my paws. I think if I were looking for a device that I needed to do lots of typing on, this would be a contender. The downside is most of the viewable screen goes away once the keyboard appears (in landscape). It moved as fast as the Tour.

HTC Ozone - It looked great, but felt a bit flimsy. It wasn't as intuitive as some of the other devices.

Samsung Omnia - I liked the faux-trackball optical mouse control. It made it super easy to move the cursor on screen (much more accruate than finger control) but I couldn't figure out how to type on it :(

LG enV / Versa / Dare - They were nice and all felt almost the same to me. The interface seemed OK, but the Omnia was cooler. I was too stupid to realize you needed to flip the enV open to get at the keyboard. The keyboard on the Versa was sweet, almost too large for typing with thumbs because of the stretch needed to cover the key pad.

I'm still gonna check out the Palm Pre. However, based on my man(down)handling of these, the Storm was the quickest and easiest for me to like. Granted I spent less than an hour in the story and just started picking them up and pushing buttons. I'm sure that each phone has ups and downs, and some are far more powerful than others.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
thetherberry app for BB is good if you have the unlimited data plan and a laptop. web surfing anywhere you have a cell signal
i've heard the tethering option is only on some BB models. is it that those BBs can do tether out-of-the-box, and that the tether app allows all BBs to do that trick? or is it that only certain models can be thethered?

Barbaton

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2002
suburban hell
I am pretty sure eric is on Verizon. Verizon charges $15/month for tethering. Tmobile was free last time I needed to tether. That app is designed to allow tethering without a tethering plan:

http://www.tetherberry.com/
Yeah, i saw that on their site but some of the reviews suggested otherwise. Last I checked tethering was a $50 premium and limited over the standard at&t blackberry unlimited data plan at @ $30. Not paying $80 / month for crappy EDGE tethering when I can get an EVDO card for the same...

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
Yep I'm on verizon. It costs zip extra to tether on my data plan. If you want to spend time on the phone with verizon tech support you can configure tethering with verizon supplied software. Based on my past use AT&T sucks donkey dick as a service provider

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
In the end I just replaced my broken Moto Q because nothing else Verizon has supports sync'ing with our microsoft exchange server.

ridiculous

Turbo Monkey
Jan 18, 2005
MD / NoVA
thetherberry app for BB is good if you have the unlimited data plan and a laptop. web surfing anywhere you have a cell signal
damn i need to look into this. Ive just been buying the tether feature as needed and disconnecting it when im done to get prorated months of service with it. FWIW you can add and subtract it from you verizon contract as much as you want. It just requires a 5min phone call with VZ everytime you want to add/subtract.