Quantcast

Smokers

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I wish my sife would stop smoking. Any suggestions on how I can get her too?
My wife quit first, then made me feel like an ass until the day I stopped. It will be 9 years in October.

I still enjoy cigars about 4 times a year. I am down to my last wife-rolled Don Pedro from Costa Rica. I need to order up some more. Maybe send her ass back down there to roll me a bunch next time :D

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
I love to smoke. That's why I don't do it. I have a hard time quitting. I enjoy filterless hand rolled cigarettes. They are heavenly and delicious and very difficult to give up. But they make me feel like **** really and I don't miss the cough.

i smoke about a pack a day. i ride a fixed gear as my means of transportation. i ride xc too when i have time. i also smoke hookah quite often. seriously i have not seen any difference in my performance. I have been chain smoking hookah for a year and a half and cigs for a year. oh yeh an occasional cigar like 4 times a year maybe
Denial is not a river in Egypt.

Upgr8r

High Priest or maybe Jedi Master
May 2, 2006
Ventura, CA
I used to smoke twenty packs of cigarettes a day….. (wheeze, wheeze)….but since I lost one of my lungs….. (wheeze, wheeze)….I cut my smoking in half

:shocked: :brows:

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
I wish my sife would stop smoking. Any suggestions on how I can get her too?
I laid it out on the line for her back when we first started getting serious about each other. I told her that I really don't want to sit in a hospital years from now holding her hand as I watch her die. (I said it much more eloquently than that but you get the picture)

Cancer is no laughing matter. (Despite what some here seem to think) It's a cruel, cruel disease whose pain is felt long after it kills.

Since she is already your wife I would press the issue heavily, spy on her, and trash her cigs. Maybe take her to the cancer ward at your local hospital. Kind of a "scared straight" thing.

Good luck to you. I sincerely hope that you can convince her to quit.

And congrats to those of you who have quit.

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
Start taking sticky's and putting the words of smoking related illnesses on them and putting them everywhere. Like the toilet lid when she goes she'll see EMPHYSEMA stairing back at her. Nobody wants to think about that while their peeing.
Negative reinforcement, worked for me.

cadmus

Monkey
May 24, 2006
PNW
Start taking sticky's and putting the words of smoking related illnesses on them and putting them everywhere. Like the toilet lid when she goes she'll see EMPHYSEMA stairing back at her. Nobody wants to think about that while their peeing.
Negative reinforcement, worked for me.
Did you just imply his wife stands up to pee?

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Who here smokes tobacco?

I smoke in the off-seasons because I like to.

I quit again during the season, because I know smoking and riding/racing don't mix so well.

For some reason, quiting is easy for me.
I'm a bit perplexed by chefs who smoke. It has to affect your senses of smell and taste.

A friend of mine, a CIA graduate, smoked at least two packs a day. He claims that it doesn't make a difference, but I wonder.

antimony

M.N.F. Beer Wench
Nov 21, 2005
North Carolina
There's nothing I hate more in the world than cigarettes/smoking. When I get rich and buy my own tropical island, there will be no smokers allowed.

Kiss me, I'm smoke-free! :weee:

JustMtnB44

Monkey
Sep 13, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
I can't stand cigarettes and second hand smoke, but what really pisses me off is how often I see people tossing butts out their car window while driving. The road is not an ashtray, asshole! That's why cars have (optional nowadays) ashtrays, so you don't have to litter.

I have smoked a few cigars and a hookah once before. It's okay, but doesn't really do anything for me.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
I'm a bit perplexed by chefs who smoke. It has to affect your senses of smell and taste.

A friend of mine, a CIA graduate, smoked at least two packs a day. He claims that it doesn't make a difference, but I wonder.
I think it effects your palate but food stands up to smoke breath a lot better than wine. Even a hint of 2nd hand smoke makes it hard to taste wine.

...& yes I am one of those people who bitches about people smoking & wearing heavy perfume/cologne at wine tastings.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
I think it effects your palate but food stands up to smoke breath a lot better than wine. Even a hint of 2nd hand smoke makes it hard to taste wine.

...& yes I am one of those people who bitches about people smoking & wearing heavy perfume/cologne at wine tastings.
In some professional kitchens wearing cologne is prohibited.

There are some open kitchens that are dimly lit and the Chef and Sous Chef cook by sense of smell and hearing rather than relying totally on sight.

Personally I have not attained that level of culinary ability.

18 years of metalsmithing has damaged my hearing to the point that it's caused some problems in the kitchen. Last Thanksgiving I let a stock pot over flow and temporarily short out my parents oven because I couldn't hear it when my back was turned. When I checked the turkey it was still raw.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF

After reading Kitchen Confidential by Bourdain, I wonder which chefs do not smoke.

Jul 23, 2008
Morristown
yea so, just because you're not smoking during the season you're racing/riding, doesn't mean that the cigarettes you smoked in the off season don't affect your performance. and saying that smoking doesn't make a difference if you've never really quit for a significant period of time (at least an entire year) to see the actual results is like saying pudding is your favorite without ever tasting it.