Quantcast

Snowshoe or Wisp?!?!?!

Hulkamaniac

Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
Germantown, MD
So which will it be for you this season??? Given the rate increases outlined in the "Snowshoe Update" post, is anyone else having to search out alternatives for this year???

For those that know me, you know I have a history and dedication to Snowshoe, but I feel like the big wigs at Snowshoe are trying to steer the program astray. I continue to give props to Trevyn, Brad, and crew......they continue to put a positive spin on things, continue to remain focused, and continue to put in 110% of effort and dedication. However, it just seems like they are being tossed to the angry mob to answer for a decision that clearly came from senior management.

That said, is anyone else considering riding more often at places like the Wisp this year? I was impressed with their initial efforts last year and early indications lead me to believe it will only be better this season. Daily and weekend rates are much more affordable, not to mention their race fees. The place has a lot of potential, a equally enthusiastic staff, and is much easier to get to from DC area.......not to mention a real town, nightlife, and lake for post-ride activities. They've come a long way and realize they've got a ways to go still, but is anyone else feeling the good vibe about Wisp besides me????

Not to turn this into a slanderous post, cause I am not questioning anyones commitment...especially Trevyn or Brad, but I can't see myself continuing to back a program that is attempting to capitalize on the southeast/mid atlantic dh crowd. I dropped nearly $300 a weekend to ride at Snowshoe last year (travel, race fees, lodging, food, beer, etc) and it's looking to escalate to well over $500 a weekend if all indications are correct from the "update" post. I will continue to make trips to Snowshoe to visit old friends, ride some of what I helped create, and reminisce about the old days of dh.........but those trips will become fewer and fewer if the rate hike sticks.

Thoughts, opinions, ideas, any other updates from Snowshoe???

Konabumm

Konaboner
Jun 13, 2003
Hollywood, Maryland, United States
Snowshoe has yet to release official prices - there is already a thread that talks all about pros and cons of the SS price increase. I really don't see a point in trying to muck up the water again - I'm sure T-Pro will let us know once SS has come up with this years rates.

Your post in my opinion slanderous - T-Pro was kind enough to ask out opinion about a rate hike - we voiced that opinion and he took out thoughts back to SS management! I think that says alot about the people at SS and I'm sure they will come up with a fair rate so they can continue to provide one of the best DH sites on the east coast -

So before you start bashing SS why don't you wait and see what there rates are going to be.

Hulkamaniac

Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
Germantown, MD
Snowshoe has yet to release official prices - there is already a thread that talks all about pros and cons of the SS price increase. I really don't see a point in trying to muck up the water again - I'm sure T-Pro will let us know once SS has come up with this years rates.

Your post in my opinion slanderous - T-Pro was kind enough to ask out opinion about a rate hike - we voiced that opinion and he took out thoughts back to SS management! I think that says alot about the people at SS and I'm sure they will come up with a fair rate so they can continue to provide one of the best DH sites on the east coast -

So before you start bashing SS why don't you wait and see what there rates are going to be.
Konabumm,

I fail to see how my post is in any way, shape, or form a slanderous post. I'm not bashing the Snowshoe mtb program, a program which I was there for the inception of and put my own blood and sweat into, but rather I am calling into question any new updates.....or lack thereof. I've followed, commented in posts, and kept in communication with many a folks within the industry and close to issue....believe me when I say, there is more to this than we will every hear publicly. I'm wanting to keep this issue as a hot topic on this board to show the senior management at Snowshoe that area riders won't take this laying down. If your more than willing to bow down to their prices, then go for it........I just don't have the deep pockets to feed the need at Snowshoe.

We've heard nothing as of yet and the season is drawing closer. I'm simply wanting to hear a final word, which will allow myself and many others to fully plan out a summer of trips/racing/riding.

Aug 6, 2006
Denver, CO
After reading Hulkamaniac's post several times, I feel that I can agree with his opinions and views. Who doesn't love riding at snow shoe? Who doesn't hate a long drive to a secluded part of WV? If I could have my way, I would travel to the Shoe at least once a month for a weekend of riding. But with so many expenses in my life, I'm forced to get real about things.

We know that the proposed rate hike is still just a proposal, and that SS has open ears to our feedback. But I could barely afford one race weekend a season, among my other riding ventures, with the old SS prices. If the rates do in fact increase, I may not be able to make it at all. Other resort destinations, such as the Wisp resort, are becoming much more attractive to me as time wears on. Not only because of lower race fees, but the location as well. Hulkamaniac mentions the benefits of a resort set in an actual town. After riding all day, one can leave the resort and still find good food and entertainment.

As I'm typing this post I'm thinking back to what kinds of people I would commonly see at ss and wisp. Snowshoe is full of riders. Everyone is gung-ho for DH, and that's great. But at Wisp, there seems to be a higher % of friends, girlfriends, wives, and families brought along. This could be a clear indication to how much more attractive of a location Wisp is. Many people I know who don't ride mountain bikes think that they're cool and fun to watch, but don't want to spend a weekend in the middle of nowhere watching nothing but bike riders having a great time, while they're on the outside looking in.

So I guess what I'm trying to say is, I'll be at wisp this year, a lot. Hopefully my schedule and bank accounts will allow me to get to SS for an event. I've been checking RM everyday for updates on the situation, whether there will be a rate hike or not.

Hulkamaniac

Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
Germantown, MD
After reading Hulkamaniac's post several times, I feel that I can agree with his opinions and views. Who doesn't love riding at snow shoe? Who doesn't hate a long drive to a secluded part of WV? If I could have my way, I would travel to the Shoe at least once a month for a weekend of riding. But with so many expenses in my life, I'm forced to get real about things.

So I guess what I'm trying to say is, I'll be at wisp this year, a lot. Hopefully my schedule and bank accounts will allow me to get to SS for an event. I've been checking RM everyday for updates on the situation, whether there will be a rate hike or not.
This is exactly what I am trying to say! I love Snowshoe, love WV......lived and grew-up most of my life not 1 hours drive from Snowshoe in central WV. I worked at Snowshoe right out of college, lived it and breathed all things Snowshoe. I moved to the DC area 2 years ago and have been struggling to get my Snowshoe fix ever since. However, like you say, barring some change in rate structure and race fees my time spent there this summer will likely be only a weekend or two. Wisp, just makes sense because of pricing and location right now.......

Bottom line, I'm just trying to find out what the official word is or at least when we can expect a final decision. The only answer, from a general consenus of people here on RM, is to buy a season pass. Not only is that not practical for most due to cost, but the additional cost v/s benefit ratio means many will be taking it in the pants from all the other associated expenses just trying to get their monies worth by trying to use the pass. I dream about Snowshoe, but when it affects my wallet that much for a given weekend I've got to find alternatives..........like the Wisp.

denjen

Certified Lift Whore
Sep 16, 2001
Richmond VA
I will be heading to SS mostly to ride maybe to race. I have a season pass so that desision was easy for me. I see the race scene this summer being more of the usual weekend crowd, mainly the ones that have a seasons pass. Hope Im wrong I just feel that that is the way a lot of people that only go to SS to race are leaning.

Hulkamaniac

Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
Germantown, MD
I see the race scene this summer being more of the usual weekend crowd, mainly the ones that have a seasons pass. Hope Im wrong I just feel that that is the way a lot of people that only go to SS to race are leaning.
I hear ya Dennis, that's what I have been preaching up as well, but I hope we are all wrong in that line of thinking! I unfortunately can't be part of the weekend regular crew due to my work/travel commitments, thus a season pass makes no sense to my cycling budget. To register for a race or two at the proposed prices eats up much of what I have set aside for an entire season of riding/racing.

denjen

Certified Lift Whore
Sep 16, 2001
Richmond VA
Getting a season pass would work out for most people if they knew they where going to get up there for a couple extra trips more than just the race weekends. With the deal they are running now of getting a free race if you buy before the end of the month you can ride and race all summer for just over $300. Thats not bad espesially as much as they will have the western lift running this summer. But for the people that are only coming for the races it works out about the same for just 3 races.

Konabumm

Konaboner
Jun 13, 2003
I'm not trying to give you crap - I just don't see a point in giving SS any crap until they release there new rates. I think everyone feels like you do - I just think your post will get all the asshats slamming SS again and it's not really needed until we know what the new rates are for this year. Who knows - maybe they won't go up at all!

denjen

Certified Lift Whore
Sep 16, 2001
Richmond VA
I'm not trying to give you crap - I just don't see a point in giving SS any crap until they release there new rates. I think everyone feels like you do - I just think your post will get all the asshats slamming SS again and it's not really needed until we know what the new rates are for this year. Who knows - maybe they won't go up at all!
WTF are you talking about. I thought the whole point of the internet was to to give out as much crap as you can. dont ruin it for me

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
A few of us down in the South are thinking of getting a season pass too. If we come up for 4 weekend and ride 3 days each time the price comes down to $18.75 a day after you subtract the one free Race fee of $25 and the $20 gift card for the shop. We will be able to get out spending about $275 Total a trip. That's not to bad. The only thing is I hate that they have yet to post the new prices as a final price. I have this feeling that they will not post anything till after the start of May. So I have to buy a season pass before and if they drop prices after I get one I am going to be really pissed off!!!! I bet everyone that buys a season pass before the 30th will be pissed off too.

beachbum

Chimp
Feb 19, 2007
coastal nc
I'm with FCLinder, that is definatly the way to go. I just got my pass today, I don't think they are going to lower the pass rates this season. Also, there probably won't be any info concerning race rates till next month. I think everyone has been layed off till May.
I don't know whether they lost a $hitload of money last year or what, but you would think after letting go all the people they did last fall snowshoe would be in the black. They collect some where around $1,000,000 every year from the home owners that I thought was supposed to keep the resort runnung during the off season.....

JeffD

Monkey
Mar 23, 2002
Macon, GA
Prices aside, how's the riding at Wisp for big bikes?

I've seen the clips on the Morecore vid and it looks like a low key, fun hill with nothing too crazy but plenty of stuff to jump. How many runs does it have, how's the lift time, etc...?

Larson TT y0!

Monkey
Jan 21, 2007
Maryland

I've seen the clips on the Morecore vid and it looks like a low key, fun hill with nothing too crazy but plenty of stuff to jump. How many runs does it have, how's the lift time, etc...?

Easy.

Lift is slow but the trails for what they're worth are fun. I think they should put in a DJ park.:clapping:

Jettj45

Monkey
Oct 20, 2005
Butthole of NC

You can ride everything they have on a hardtail with ease.

Hulkamaniac

Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
Germantown, MD
You can ride everything they have on a hardtail with ease.
However, you can ride everything at Snowshoe on a hardtail with ease!!! It's all relative to your desire to go faster, stay in control, and your skill level. I've done days at Snowshoe while I worked there on my hardtail/slalom bike, just to work on my skill level and keep things fresh. Also, saying Wisp isn't fun on a full blown dh bike is a very personal opinion. I find the mountain to have a ton of flow, lots of natural and manmade jumps, and lots of options.....techy, fast, singletrack, wide open, etc. Just like Snowshoe, you gotta know where your at and where to look! All the race courses they have run, while not the most technical of couses in the area, offered up enough challenge to keep everyone in attendace happy and the speeds and flow achieved had everyone lapping out runs all day long.

Sure the lift is slow, but it's better than riding to the top or shuttling. The shuttle bus for the western side at Snowshoe is slow as well, but again it's all in your interpretation. Everyone here loves Snowshoe, no argument can be made there, but it may be time to start exploring other options like the Wisp and Diablo more often.

Hulkamaniac

Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
Germantown, MD
I'm with ya, no hard feelings. As I said in a post above I'm just trying to keep this topic fresh and in peoples minds. Let the asshats slam Snowshoe and/or Wisp, they prove with their words that their value and real world experience is elementary at best. I just want Snowshoe management, hell, all area resorts management to keep in mind that collectively this group won't lie down and take the matter lightly.

I don't know, maybe I am just a grizzled veteran of the mid-atlantic dh scene...if you can call 27 yr old 10+ years of east coast dh racing, building, and promoting, a grizzled veteran. I can remember the good old days of cheap entry fees and small crowds at places like Plattekill, Mtn Creek (BD - before Diablo), Whitetail, Bear Creek, Spring Mountain, Blue Knob, Wisp, and even the AMBC's at Snowshoe....just seemed better back then!!!

I'm just anxiously awaiting answers from Snowshoe!!! Good, bad, or indifferent the season is drawing closer and we need to know something.

skatetokil

Turbo Monkey
Jan 2, 2005
DC/Bluemont VA
I had fun riding at wisp, but I hope they get a better trail map and work on their interchanges this year. I kept finding myself spit out in the same random mixing bowl, losing all my momentum trying to figure out where I was going to go and then riding the same 2 trails to the bottom at some gravel lot separated from the lifts by a field and a row of trees. ghey.

Hulkamaniac

Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
Germantown, MD
I had fun riding at wisp, but I hope they get a better trail map and work on their interchanges this year. I kept finding myself spit out in the same random mixing bowl, losing all my momentum trying to figure out where I was going to go and then riding the same 2 trails to the bottom at some gravel lot separated from the lifts by a field and a row of trees. ghey.
Unfortunately that's a growing pain that all resort mtb programs go through. The first year we did the bike park at Snowshoe, people kept riding the same trails early in the season simply because we didn't adequately mark all the other entrances and intersections. From what I have been told, Wisp is addressing these issues and they are more than open to advice, suggestions, and comments.

SpasticJack

Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
I debated between a season pass and racing last year. As it worked out, the races would have totaled the same amount of days as the break even point on a pass so I just did the races. This year, with the race fee as an overlay to the trail pass, I don't see the value in racing the series. It doesn't mean I won't go to SS this summer, rather I'll just split my riding time between there and the other alternatives within the same distance/time from DC (Diablo, Wisp, etc.). SS has great terrain but they are far from the only game in town.

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
And everyone, here we are again...comparing to locations that offer riding, and for that alone we should be grateful; however, you CANNOT compare the two.

Snowshoe is considerably bigger, larger etc....Wisp, is smaller. That being said, it does not make it any less fun. To put it into perspective, the staff at both locations are, , some of the best in the industry and the friendliest, bar none. Variety is the spice of life, and the fact I have the option of going to either place, or have the ability to go to separate places is cool.

They are both different, however, it's two places to ride. We should simply be happy in that fact alone. Therefore, to the staff at both locations, we, as a DH community, thank you. Y'all keep up the good work, and look forward to seeing y'all this summer.

Konabumm

Konaboner
Jun 13, 2003
And everyone, here we are again...comparing to locations that offer riding, and for that alone we should be grateful; however, you CANNOT compare the two.

Snowshoe is considerably bigger, larger etc....Wisp, is smaller. That being said, it does not make it any less fun. To put it into perspective, the staff at both locations are, , some of the best in the industry and the friendliest, bar none. Variety is the spice of life, and the fact I have the option of going to either place, or have the ability to go to separate places is cool.

They are both different, however, it's two places to ride. We should simply be happy in that fact alone. Therefore, to the staff at both locations, we, as a DH community, thank you. Y'all keep up the good work, and look forward to seeing y'all this summer.
I'm with Mr. Educated - for me it's a simple decision - where will I get the most BANG for my buck.

Snowshoe = 5.5 hours from my house - But is HELLA fun - I know driving there and spending 3 days will be a great time but is going to cost me a little cash.

Diablo = 6 hours away - I hear is HELLA fun and the cost is a little less - If I can meet up with a fun group of people I'm sure I would do it.

Wisp = 3 hours away and cheap - I would give it a try!

I have set my "racing" budget for the year - IF SS jacks up the prices then I'll look at other options - but if they keep it reasonable - they have me for all 3 races

Jettj45

Monkey
Oct 20, 2005
Butthole of NC
However, you can ride everything at Snowshoe on a hardtail with ease!!! It's all relative to your desire to go faster, stay in control, and your skill level. I've done days at Snowshoe while I worked there on my hardtail/slalom bike, just to work on my skill level and keep things fresh. Also, saying Wisp isn't fun on a full blown dh bike is a very personal opinion. I find the mountain to have a ton of flow, lots of natural and manmade jumps, and lots of options.....techy, fast, singletrack, wide open, etc. Just like Snowshoe, you gotta know where your at and where to look! All the race courses they have run, while not the most technical of couses in the area, offered up enough challenge to keep everyone in attendace happy and the speeds and flow achieved had everyone lapping out runs all day long.

Sure the lift is slow, but it's better than riding to the top or shuttling. The shuttle bus for the western side at Snowshoe is slow as well, but again it's all in your interpretation. Everyone here loves Snowshoe, no argument can be made there, but it may be time to start exploring other options like the Wisp and Diablo more often.
Lol yeah you can ride everything at snowshoe on a hardtail but what I was tryying to say about wisp is there is no where you actually need rear suspension, its all easy riding. And yes haha it's a matter of opinion(everything on a forum is pretty much). I was just stating that when is comes to choosing one wisp does not come close to snowshoe...I'm not bashing wisp or anything its much closer to me and its somewhere fun to ride. However they do need to work on there races courses...gateing off a path down the ski slope, it just seemed like they didnt put a lot of effort into it last year.

JeffD

Monkey
Mar 23, 2002
Macon, GA
Since I started this whole mess with my question, let me clarify things:

The bros and I will hit SS for a few of the race weekends. We'd be down for SS opening day BUT we're not psyched on the western lift not running. We get plenty of big bike gnarcore down our way at Windrock. So...we're just considering Wisp as a possible Memorial Day option since they're having the race and lifts will be running. Sounds like a lot of low key fun. I just don't want to drive 10+ hours to sit on a slow lift for just a few ho hum runs.

denjen

Certified Lift Whore
Sep 16, 2001
Richmond VA
Since I started this whole mess with my question, let me clarify things:

The bros and I will hit SS for a few of the race weekends. We'd be down for SS opening day BUT we're not psyched on the western lift not running. We get plenty of big bike gnarcore down our way at Windrock. So...we're just considering Wisp as a possible Memorial Day option since they're having the race and lifts will be running. Sounds like a lot of low key fun. I just don't want to drive 10+ hours to sit on a slow lift for just a few ho hum runs.

where did you see that the lift was not not running?

JeffD

Monkey
Mar 23, 2002
Macon, GA
Oh really? I swore that I heard it didn't run last year for opening weekend. Plus, neither Trevyn nor the site has explicitly said it will be running. If it is running, that changes everything.

denjen

Certified Lift Whore
Sep 16, 2001
Richmond VA
Yes it definitely ran last year on opening weekend. I will email a friend of mine up there today and see if I can find anything out.

BAXTER

Monkey
Jun 25, 2005
THE BURG but missing BOSTON
DIABLO! Their park is the best on the east coast in my opinion . The trails here in the burg are free for people that are worried about money. There are no lifts but it is a bicycle and they are designed to be PEDDLED.

JeffKill

Monkey
Jun 21, 2006
Charlotte, NC
Oh really? I swore that I heard it didn't run last year for opening weekend. Plus, neither Trevyn nor the site has explicitly said it will be running. If it is running, that changes everything.
I've been there for opening weekend for the past 2 years and the western lift was running. They call it the memorial day freeride festival. They have both lifts running for all bike focused events. So Im guessing its the same this year.

mobius

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Around DC
Snowshoe when i do get out. I have a huge loyalty to them even if the program is getting pushed around some Trevyn, Brad, and the rest of the crew work their hardest to help it grow and it is the biggest mountain around right now.