Quantcast

Snowshoe Race Series

T-Pro

Monkey
Jun 13, 2005
After many discussions and debate I finally have some concrete answers for you guys on entry fees for this season. We will be offering a discounted two day trail pass for race entrants at $50 for saturday and sunday of the events. Race entry will stay the same at $25. This will bring the total entry fees to 75.00 total for the weekend and 25.00 for season pass holders.

We have some updates and new information about the race series on the website. Make sure to take a look at: www.ride.snowshoemtn.com

Park Crew

denjen

Certified Lift Whore
Sep 16, 2001
Richmond VA
Thanks for the info. I didnt see on the site anything about if the lift is running for opening weekend.

T-Pro

Monkey
Jun 13, 2005
Thanks for the info. I didnt see on the site anything about if the lift is running for opening weekend.
Sorry boys and girls. This year they have elected to not operate the western lift this opening weekend. The shuttle will be operating Friday-Monday, 25-28th. I should have an updated operating schedule on the site this week.

Mr Ridiculous

Margarita my slippers
Apr 21, 2006
Morgantown, WV
That is a bit of a bummer bout the western lift not running. Oh well, I'll be there regardless.

T-pro: Any updates on new trail progress? Has anything been done to Powerline? Or is this all some grand secret to be revealed on opening weekend?

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Yeah what is up with everything being so quiet this year, the past years there has been alot of hype. With the great turn outs last year and the lack of monster park i would think you would be building like crazy.

I hope it's just all a big suprise, but something tells me it's not.

JeffKill

Monkey
Jun 21, 2006
Charlotte, NC
Sorry boys and girls. This year they have elected to not operate the western lift this opening weekend. The shuttle will be operating Friday-Monday, 25-28th. I should have an updated operating schedule on the site this week.
I'll be there regardless now, but that sucks!! :disgust1:

JohnBoy

Monkey
Jan 15, 2007
That fvcking sucks!!!! WTF? Why would they elect to not run the lift? If we didnt already have things arranged, that would change my mind in going, but now we have 2 condo's already booked, so we are going, no matter now. Thats a bunch of sh!t though, its opening weekend for the bike park and lets shut the lift down on the good side. You guys really know how to p!ss people off!

homepiece

Monkey
May 22, 2006
OHIO
That fvcking sucks!!!! WTF? Why would they elect to not run the lift? If we didnt already have things arranged that would change my mind in going, but now we have 2 condo's already booked, so we are going, no matter now. Thats a bunch of sh!t though, its opening weekend for the bike park and lets shut the lift down on the good side. You guys really know how to p!ss people off!
I was really hoping that the lifts would be running, jeesus I would pay another 20 a day to have both the lifts running. I was also hoping to see some trail updates on here. I remember seeing pics all over the place last year of the updates going in.. Nothing yet this year. I really dig how the diablo guys have been posting the new stuff and hope to see some of the same from the SS guys here as well.

JeffKill

Monkey
Jun 21, 2006
Charlotte, NC
You guys really know how to p!ss people off!
After running the western lift for the past how many years on opening weekend, and then springing this on people 2 weeks prior to opening day this year, I'd say they should have seminars on it up there. Maybe then they could afford to run the damn lift.

spoke80

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2001
That fvcking sucks!!!! WTF? Why would they elect to not run the lift? If we didnt already have things arranged that would change my mind in going, but now we have 2 condo's already booked, so we are going, no matter now. Thats a bunch of sh!t though, its opening weekend for the bike park and lets shut the lift down on the good side. You guys really know how to p!ss people off!
Its Snowshoe what do you expect? Its just one thing after another with those wackas$es.

Hell, remember when you could ride and stay there and it would not cost you both arms and your first born? Those days are gone. I used to make monthly trips to SS during the winter and it WAS very affordable. But now I just fly to COLORADO for the weekend and spend less money; figure that out.:disgust1:

I'll bend over for the races and sleep on the ground in the rain to support our sport but FU*K You Snowshoe!

If SS is breaking precedent and not running the western lift for the "Freeride Festival," it makes me skeptical of the claim that it'll be running on the summer weekends through July-August where there isn't a even a specific mtb event planned.

JohnBoy

Monkey
Jan 15, 2007
If SS is breaking precedent and not running the western lift for the "Freeride Festival," it makes me skeptical of the claim that it'll be running on the summer weekends through July-August where there isn't a even a specific mtb event planned.
Dont worry they will give you atleast a whole 2 weeks notice. :disgust1: WTF? Really not happy about this! :disgust: :disgust:

T-Pro

Monkey
Jun 13, 2005
Intrawest as a corporation has been evaluating their business which has in turn developed some changes for almost all resorts within the family. Some restructuring of the work force, summer and winter operating schedules, and program investment was the result. It is all in an effort to strengthen the business and insure a successful future. Though it does mean we are working with a shorter timeline and smaller staff roster this year. It is not specifically focused at the bike program by any means. We have a lot of exciting things we are looking forward to this season such as much more freedom from major events, great sponsor backing which will allow more machine time than ever b4, in general a more efficient program. We will be getting a later than usual start on trail recovery and development but come June we will be rolling full steam. Keep your heads up. There is change this year but the crew has plans to make up for it.

It costs roughly 1,000+ dollars a day to operate the western lift when all expenses are finally tallied. Our shuttle system has been in action for years and it is surely better than the alternative.

JohnBoy

Monkey
Jan 15, 2007
So your telling us that they dont care that this is gonna p!ss alot of people off cause it may cost them an x-tra $3000 for that weekend?!?! And to let people know 2 weeks in advance is a sh!tty thing to do! I still think they should lower lift prices then if your not gonna get to use 1 of the lifts.

Mr Ridiculous

Margarita my slippers
Apr 21, 2006
Morgantown, WV
Sounds to me like Trevyn and the rest of the crew is getting fvcked over big time. I know this is all kind of upsetting but I don't think that it's very fair to take it out on them. I could be wrong, but it sounds like this screw job has came from much higher up. It seems like the bike crew is trying to make do with the scraps they're given.

denjen

Certified Lift Whore
Sep 16, 2001
Richmond VA
Sounds to me like Trevyn and the rest of the crew is getting fvcked over big time. I know this is all kind of upsetting but I don't think that it's very fair to take it out on them. I could be wrong, but it sounds like this screw job has came from much higher up. It seems like the bike crew is trying to make do with the scraps they're given.
That is what I am hearing. From the sounds of it we should at least be glad we have a place to ride DH.

JohnBoy

Monkey
Jan 15, 2007
Yeah, sorry, I know its not him or the trail crew that made that decision. It just sucks.

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
How about at least getting the gate open at the bottom so we don't have to ride that POS trail (Cross Tie) out to the road?!

KevinR86

Chimp
Aug 13, 2006
Williamsburg VA
You guys make it sound like its the end of the world! Geeze, the shuttle is Fine, It runs longer than the lift, and if you dont waste any time getting down, it is easy to catch every ride up. I have ridden a lot of weekends there where the lift was not running, and it is possible to get just as many runs in when using the shuttle. I am glad i have a place to ride DH w/ so many nice trails. Everyone needs to quite complaining, and realize that big decisions like when to operate the lift or not, are not in the hands of the trail crew. I give everyone up there mad props for providing me w/ a relaxing place to ride, bomb trails, and chill weekends. I am sure the new trails this year will be great, along w/ the races. I cant wait for opening weekend, Lift or no lift.

JeffKill

Monkey
Jun 21, 2006
Charlotte, NC
I have ridden a lot of weekends there where the lift was not running, and it is possible to get just as many runs in when using the shuttle.
Sorry, but you're full of sh!t. That isnt physically possible. You're not blowing smoke up anybody's a$$ but you're own.

Think about what you're saying. Instead of just putting your bike on the lift and going straight to the top, you have to pedal out to the road, then down the road, then wait till all the bikes are loaded. Im not bitching about that, but your point makes no sense.

I'll still be there opening weekend having fun no matter what. But the point still stands, it SUCKS. :plthumbsdown:

T-Pro

Monkey
Jun 13, 2005
How about at least getting the gate open at the bottom so we don't have to ride that POS trail (Cross Tie) out to the road?!
That would be about the worst thing you could do...

In light of the lift decisions one of our plans is to actually machine cross tie into a trail that would make the shuttle well worth the 1/4 mile of pavement...

Remember... ridemonkey is an informal forum and not an official source of information. We will do everything in our power to accentuate the positive opportunities this season.

denjen

Certified Lift Whore
Sep 16, 2001
Richmond VA

In light of the lift decisions one of our plans is to actually machine cross tie into a trail that would make the shuttle well worth the 1/4 mile of pavement...

QUOTE]

That would be awsome I dont mind riding the bus but riding that trail over and over again just sucks the energy out of you.

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
:shocked: I think Nuggies or punch-buggies are in order here!

OK, I'm going to cry now.....

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...

Remember... ridemonkey is an informal forum and not an official source of information. We will do everything in our power to accentuate the positive opportunities this season.
Ahhhh....sorry dude...ITS TOO DAMN LATE! for plausible deniability!

You said it here! So let it be posted, so let it be done!

:p

:D

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
corporate trail systems and corporate operations of them may work at ultra high volume places like whistler.
where the amount of rider$ far outweigh the the expense of operating their lift.
but at a much smaller mt. like snowshoe and the much smaller rider base it services, it sure doesn't seem to be working out all that smoothly now, does it ?? (no lift on opening weekend ?? there's an insult to us if there ever was one.)

they (intrawest, who now owns both facilities) needs to re-think their m.o.
you will never make the same profit margin here like you would out west.
so how about sucking it up and just break even or a little better, untill you build up the place to where it's worthy of the rates you want to charge us.
then you won't have to worry about having enough riders to make opening the lift EVERY WEEKEND YOU'RE OPEN FOR MT. BIKE BUISNESS. because more than enough will be at the gates waiting for them to open.

your profits at whistler should be more than enough to offset any shortcomings in profits here, until you turn this place into "whistler east".

the people who are responding to this thread are some of the hardcore folks who travel quite a bit to ride a wide variety of areas.
most i know personally.
they will ride somewhere.
and it's sounding like it may not be there as much as you'd like.

and that's a lose lose situation for all of us.
because snowshoe is by far one of the best places to ride.

that being said, i've ridden the shuttle bus.
and i'll never travel up there if that's how i might get stuck getting back to the top.
the turn around to ride per hour ratio just isn't worth it.

pirate28

Monkey
Jun 13, 2006
Maryland
I went skiing down there this past winter for a long weekend. We got like 8 inches of snow overnight on Saturday night... When we went out to hit the fresh snow on Sunday morning, we found out that only 3 of the lifts were open on the entire mountain!!! How do you close almost all of the lifts when you have 8 inches of new snow?! I guess its just like not having lifts running on opening weekend of MTB season.

V-Dub GTI

Monkey
Jun 11, 2006
blah!
I went skiing down there this past winter for a long weekend. We got like 8 inches of snow overnight on Saturday night... When we went out to hit the fresh snow on Sunday morning, we found out that only 3 of the lifts were open on the entire mountain!!! How do you close almost all of the lifts when you have 8 inches of new snow?! I guess its just like not having lifts running on opening weekend of MTB season.
I was there for the same weekend, that was bull$hit.

But back to the topic, I would rather ride the lift that the shuttle, but i will do both. Oh, and on cross tie, PLEASE put something over that mud pit stream bead. A bridge would be really nice.

V-Dub GTI

Monkey
Jun 11, 2006
blah!
Oh, and why on the operating schedule [sp?] does it not say weekends july- august, that the western express lift will be running? It only says on race weekends.

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
A lot of the regulars I talked to won't be returning this year due to pricing and lift schedule. :disgust1:

Who can we write to b!tch? PM me an addy if you can.

V-Dub GTI

Monkey
Jun 11, 2006
blah!
Because they wont be running the lifts in july and august:disgust1: :crazy: :(
But....

Yes, a one day pass will grant access to both sides of the mountain, all lift and shuttle systems, and xc trail.

Western lift operations are currently scheduled to operate every weekend July-August. The western lift will also operate on any other bike focused event weekend, including the GNCC off road race in June.

Memorial weekend is our scheduled opening weekend also.

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
OK, so some clarification is in order. Checking the website has not netted much information. I would like to request from the S.S. folks to put an end to the confusion and post somewhere the details for the year.

Many of us plan our summers around our ability to take time off and make the trips to S.S., and we also have to budget our monies for the same trips. I believe in all seriousness many have a huge issue with S.S. is the ambiguity surrounding the upcoming season.

And while I can understand having an opposing point of view, frustration or differing opinion, we cannot bitch and complain and be straight up rude and obnoxious to vent and state our opinions...

As we can see, it upsets everyone as we have all learned from the incident last year involving "an up and coming rider" :rofl: last year.

"Up and coming rider" = 0

SK6 = 1

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Snowshoe had a reverse built trail system guys. Whistler got "lucky" in that they stumbled onto the formula when they built A-Line. Mellow Grade
High Fun
All ability Levels
Very sustainable
Shallow slope

Snowshoe's trails are crude at best and from a business standpoint currently, they are very costly to maintain. I wouldn't say maintain either...I'd say "keep from closing".

I talked with Brad and Trevyn at Mass and I understand what's the big hang up. To gain dollars and riders, they have to restructure their design model to cater to beginner skill levels. Beginners become intermediates and then experts. BUT, building low maintenance entry level trails fun for all levels (like A Line, Greenslick, Tamarack trails)...takes a long time, a BIG investment in trail equipment and rewards that won't be realized for a long time.

Think about this. If you went skiing and 90% of the mountain was 45% pitch intermediate or greater...how many people would be skiing. Novice trails are LOADED in ski season. Black Diamonds are open and little traveled. They're stuck for now having to maintain fall line trails in heavy rain with NO existing trails for beginners.

BUT...the light at the end of the tunnel is there. Brad is a certified trail tech now. They're paying ror those guys to be trained by Gravity Logic to become EXPERTS at trail design and management. The resort is investing in trail MACHINERY for them...not just 18 year old kids with pick axes. It will take a long time to redesign the trails...but if we support them now in the growing pains...it will be almost as good as Whistler in the future.

Hulkamaniac

Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
Germantown, MD
Snowshoe had a reverse built trail system guys. Whistler got "lucky" in that they stumbled onto the formula when they built A-Line. Mellow Grade
High Fun
All ability Levels
Very sustainable
Shallow slope

Snowshoe's trails are crude at best and from a business standpoint currently, they are very costly to maintain. I wouldn't say maintain either...I'd say "keep from closing".

I talked with Brad and Trevyn at Mass and I understand what's the big hang up. To gain dollars and riders, they have to restructure their design model to cater to beginner skill levels. Beginners become intermediates and then experts. BUT, building low maintenance entry level trails fun for all levels (like A Line, Greenslick, Tamarack trails)...takes a long time, a BIG investment in trail equipment and rewards that won't be realized for a long time.

Think about this. If you went skiing and 90% of the mountain was 45% pitch intermediate or greater...how many people would be skiing. Novice trails are LOADED in ski season. Black Diamonds are open and little traveled. They're stuck for now having to maintain fall line trails in heavy rain with NO existing trails for beginners.

BUT...the light at the end of the tunnel is there. Brad is a certified trail tech now. They're paying ror those guys to be trained by Gravity Logic to become EXPERTS at trail design and management. The resort is investing in trail MACHINERY for them...not just 18 year old kids with pick axes. It will take a long time to redesign the trails...but if we support them now in the growing pains...it will be almost as good as Whistler in the future.
Good points, Butch! Hate seeing good friends like Trevyn and Brad put in a position like they are in now, not good for their morale or the mtb community as a whole. I'm keeping my hopes up that someday, something I was there for the beginning of, will turn into something big.......with Trevyn and Brad carrying the torch for us all, I'm sure that will come sooner than later.