Quantcast

So Commencal won't warantee my frame...

5150dhbiker

Turbo Monkey
Nov 5, 2007
Santa Barbara, CA
My buddy had a Supreme DH and they would not cover the same problem because the frame was raced on. Aparently if you race their DH race bike...that voids the warentee :~

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
My buddy had a Supreme DH and they would not cover the same problem because the frame was raced on. Aparently if you race their DH race bike...that voids the warentee :~
Yuck. We should make a list of companies that don't F with you if you need to warranty something.

Painting it was wrong, but racing dh on it? If that's true, that's super lame. Even specialized has wording about not jumping and doing tricks and whatnot, but I've never seen them use that BS to deny a claim.

dilzy

Monkey
Sep 7, 2008
This is quoted directly from their website from their blurb on the 2010 Supreme DH: "Any talented rider looking to spend more time on the podium would be advised to use one of these".

Seriously, who the hell do these people think they are. In Australia we have statutory warranty rights which means if the product was not "fit for the purpose", then you have the right to a refund, even if it's out of the manufacturers warranty period.

Commencal-guy

Monkey
Nov 25, 2007
Massachusetts, US of A
Thats Odd... I broke the bolt head on the headtube adjuster, and beat the hell out of my older Supreme. It cracked on the chainstay and headtube, I sent the frame back thinking It wouldn't be warranteed since it was 2008 Supreme DH, and I micky-moused a ghetto way to hold the headtube together. I got a call next day saying they'd send me the 2010 Supreme DH without questions.

5150dhbiker

Turbo Monkey
Nov 5, 2007
Santa Barbara, CA
Thats Odd... I broke the bolt head on the headtube adjuster, and beat the hell out of my older Supreme. It cracked on the chainstay and headtube, I sent the frame back thinking It wouldn't be warranteed since it was 2008 Supreme DH, and I micky-moused a ghetto way to hold the headtube together. I got a call next day saying they'd send me the 2010 Supreme DH without questions.
Ya, it suprised all of us actually. I have no idea why they were being so strict about it. I have a lot of friends that ride those bikes and swear by them...and they are amazing for sure.

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
Yuck. We should make a list of companies that don't F with you if you need to warranty something.

Painting it was wrong, but racing dh on it? If that's true, that's super lame. Even specialized has wording about not jumping and doing tricks and whatnot, but I've never seen them use that BS to deny a claim.
I think realistically most companies include that because it's another breakwater against being sued if someone gets injured due to one of their bikes failing catastrophically. If they can legitimately say "see, we told you not to go stunting and/or jumping on this bike, it says so in the owner's manual" then that's just one more argument to rely on in court, token gesture though it may be.

Anyone actually using that kind of BS to deny warranty on a frame would be on my personal blacklist for life however. Same as what Commencal have just done.

May 24, 2010
DHperu
Hi, I work for BTI and am the one that your friend must have spoken to about the claim. I believe that what I told the both of you was that you really should not have painted the frame. That there are a number of reasons that modifying your frame makes this a difficult case.
Second thing I said was that I would do my best to have the claim go though and that I would do my best to get you back on your bike asap. You returned me the claim form, and pictures.
Your claim is currently under review.
I am sad that you ran to the boards, and glad that you up dated things as more information came to light. These things are not so cut and dry, and this type of head tube fracture is not "common".

I thank everyone that defended our policy and understands that there is a reason for the rules in the warranty policy. We are all riders over here. Don’t be mistaken. We know what it is like to have a problem and are doing what we can to solve this for you. We strongly believe in the frames that we make. We do warranty frames with issues, we change production methods to stop issues, and we do our best to make sure that our customers feel good about going out for a ride on their bike.
Hopefully we can go for a ride some day.
-Commencal Guy

PS, we do offer a crash replacement. It is handled case by case… I would offer the details on that after we know more about the outcome of your claim.

Shenzi

Chimp
Jun 26, 2008
Lake Zurich, IL
Why would anybody buy a bike that they admittedly knew had problems the previous year with cracking...and then jepordize the warranty by painting it? Situation sucks, but if Commencal works with him, it's a gift. It was in writing, and ignorance and morality do not apply.

But, I've been in similar situations and hope they do sort things out in your favor.
I know, too funny, the guy keeps on saying that there's a history of known cracks on the '09s, still buys the frame, has some remodeling needs because he doesn't like the paint, alters the frame despite the writing, rides the bike and then finds the crack and expect a replacement? eeeer!? :rolleyes: