Quantcast

So we got a dog....

dogwonder

Nitro
May 3, 2005
Walking the Earth
That's awesome Stosh...And doing the shelter thing earns major karma in anyone's book.

The first step to children is seeing if you can handle a dog. Crate training is the absolute best thing you can do. I also recommend going to obedience classes. They aren't too expensive and will teach you a lot of little things.

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
So what do all you guys do with your dogs while you're at work?
she is locked up via a gate in a Breakfast Nook area. but.. shes big enough to jump the gate now so we are beginninmg to leave her out in the house for small periods of time to see how she does

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Nice looking dog, stosh :thumb:

We always let our dogs have the run of the house while we were gone all day. They're always eager to go to the bathroom when we get home, but they were usually fine alone during the day.

Tmeyer

Monkey
Mar 26, 2005
SLC
Cool dog, nice job going to the Shelter as well, that's where my shepard/lab came from! Enjoy....

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
We have a little issue with him chewing things. He hasn't fully eaten anything yet but only because we've caught him before he could.

Hooples, we've thought about putting him in the kitchen as well.
How long have you had your dog alone in your house for?

dogwonder

Nitro
May 3, 2005
Walking the Earth
We have a little issue with him chewing things. He hasn't fully eaten anything yet but only because we've caught him before he could.

Hooples, we've thought about putting him in the kitchen as well.
How long have you had your dog alone in your house for?
Go to Petsmart and get something called bitterapple. It works pretty well on keeping him away from thing you don't want to have chewed.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
OK COOL, I'll look for it!

Guys I really appreciate all your help.
My wife isn't the biggest dog lover so I'm trying to get her to come around!

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
So what do you guys use to keep the fleas and ticks away?
We used that flea/tick stuff that comes in a small (~1" long) tube. Squirt between their shoulder blades. I think it was a once a month application but I may be wrong.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
So what do you guys use to keep the fleas and ticks away?
We use Advantage but its only available at the vet.

We have used Advantix and its great too but its extreme in price, and also only available at a vet... made to keep everything off including Mosquitos.

EDIT: Frontline doesnt work for us, ut tis cheap and you can get it anywhere.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Add some minced garlic to his food (feed him good food!) and that'll help keep the bugs away too.

Look into reading this book: The Ultimate Diet, by Kymythy Schultze. Not for everyone, but it definitely helped keep my dogs extremely healthy.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Frontline Plus for the fleas. You might want to think about heartworm stuff too, if you have mosquitos around.

Revolution is a new all in one that does flea and heartworm, although my vet doesn't think it does as good a job on fleas as Frontline. You have to take him to the vet for a blood test before starting heartworm treatment, FYI.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Yeah, we need to take him to the VET as a requirement of the humane society.

Apparently he has all his shots and stuff.

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
Go to Petsmart and get something called bitterapple. It works pretty well on keeping him away from thing you don't want to have chewed.

Uh only if your dog doesn't like it. When I was in Highschool we had a Dalmation (ok yes know they are dumb anyway). His name was Duke and he loved the bitterapple stuff.

FYi... I use Revolution and have had great results for 5 years

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
for the past week we have let her alone in the house for just a few hours at a time.. shje doesnt touch anything.. when she used to try and eat stuff that you dont want her to have I spreayed bitter apple on it.. they learn quickly not to eat things that way.
as foar as other training I used a spray bottle when she jumps on the couch, or up on ppl it works ok... a good thing to do is when ppl enter the house thell them not to make a fuss over the dog. have the dog sit. and then have them pet him calmly.. it takes a while but its effective.
I also use frontline plus

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
Congrats Stosh. I hope you really enjoy him. Read this book. Whenever your dog does something incredibly stupid you can rest assured that this guy's dog was probably even worse. And even if he is a holy terror at least you'll have some solace knowing that you are not alone.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
So what do all you guys do with your dogs while you're at work?
We leave ours kenneled. My wife very rarely works a full-time day so she's rarely in there for more than 4-6 hours at a time. She would probably be fine out and about but she sometimes shows a little more than a passing interest in the cats. I'd hate for somebody to get hurt.

She loves her kennel. She knows that when she goes in there she always gets bones and that the next person to let her out will play fetch with her.

dogwonder

Nitro
May 3, 2005
Walking the Earth
Been said but Max get's K9 Advantix. We think it works better than Frontline.

I would also recommend clicker training and a lot of obedience schools use it in their programs. It's amazing how well behaved some of those dogs are.

:lighten:

Velocity Girl

whack-a-mole
Sep 12, 2001
Atlanta
Congrats!!! Very cute pup!

Another good idea of a way to keep him busy, especially when you're not there, is a kong (or any of the ball/treat type toys). It'll help give his busy little brain something to do and reward his hard work.

And yes, clicker training can work wonders. Also, think about starting him on hand-signals as well as verbal commands (I'm sure there's tons of books/info on the web about it as to what signals are best). You give the command and signal at the same time and soon enough they should respond to either independantly. Good luck!

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
We had my father-in-law come over with his very well behaved 4yr old dog.

Bruzer took to him right away. I didn't let Bruzer run without a leash right away but when I realized he wasn't going any futher then the other dog I let him loose. He had a great night and Aubrey and I were very happy with his behavior. He went swimming in the stream for the first time with the other dog. He also came when he was called even when he was playing with the other dog.

Below are a few pics from today.