Quantcast

So we got a dog....

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
It's already gone!

So we had gated the stairs from the porch to the yard off, this morning while I was getting his leash he jumped the fence, went and pee'd and came back with no leash.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
It's already gone!

So we had gated the stairs from the porch to the yard off, this morning while I was getting his leash he jumped the fence, went and pee'd and came back with no leash.
One of the vet techs I worked with in Nashville had one. She would leave it in a run in the Kennel and when she came in would call his name. He would start jumping straight up in the air and you could see his head above the runs. The walls of the runs were at least 5 feet tall.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
When we were at the shelter picking him up we were walking him to the car and there was a telephone pole lying down along the edge of the parking lot, instead of walking over it he bounced over it. We all kind of looked at each other and we're like OMG he cleared the 1 1/2 foot dia pole by easily 2'. He jumped way higher then he needed to but we realized then he could jump.

Funny thing is he's only 5 months old so he's a little uncordinated still.

We have a 3' high fence in our backyard I'm anxious to see him jump it. I'm not encouraging the jumping yet because I don't want him to hurt his growth plates.

chuffer

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
McMinnville, OR
do not encourage jumping the fence. train him not to jump it even though he can. that barrier -albeit artificial- could save his life...

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
do not encourage jumping the fence. train him not to jump it even though he can. that barrier -albeit artificial- could save his life...
Good point on the gate from the porch.

The fence though, is just decorative more than anything. It's not even fully closed.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
I had to go back and see this thread. It's been a grueling few months with Bruzer. The nerves running to his hind end are cut off somewhere along his spine and he's been getting worse. His back legs work about at about 50% and he's been having accidents in his sleep for a few months. We've had him to a few vets and can't seem to get if fixed.
He was on high doses of steroids for the past week with no effect. I have his "last" vet appointment scheduled for Thursday night. Sad sad sad.... days.....

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
:thumbsdown:

Sorry Stosh, a good dog is a good friend.

Thanks man, it's tough because the front 1/2 of him is still in great shape. I can tell he feels bad all the time because he is constantly having accidents.

When he was a pup.....

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Wow man you have done great things for a pooch who would have probably met his end many years ago so I applaud you for that, he is also a great looking dog.

My last and only dog was blue cattle/kelpie/something and he was a great dog, I could leave my bike anywhere and he would growl if anyone came within a few feet. Dogs are always a loyal animal but the cattle dog has that little bit extra and they are really really hard to let go. My dog was an estimated 2yo when I found him as a stray and I had him for another 15yrs so I got a good run but a suspected brain tumor got him in the end, walking 3-5km one day, gone the next, mother nature can be a cruel mafugger.

Hope the vet finds a solution and you keep your mate for a few more years.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Wow man you have done great things for a pooch who would have probably met his end many years ago so I applaud you for that, he is also a great looking dog.

My last and only dog was blue cattle/kelpie/something and he was a great dog, I could leave my bike anywhere and he would growl if anyone came within a few feet. Dogs are always a loyal animal but the cattle dog has that little bit extra and they are really really hard to let go. My dog was an estimated 2yo when I found him as a stray and I had him for another 15yrs so I got a good run but a suspected brain tumor got him in the end, walking 3-5km one day, gone the next, mother nature can be a cruel mafugger.

Hope the vet finds a solution and you keep your mate for a few more years.

We saved him from Parvo when we first got him and he was on deaths doorstep then. He is literally my shadow. We have 2 kids now and occasionally our bed will get too crowded so I'll switch beds for more room in the middle of the night and when I wake up in the morning he's on the floor next to me. ALWAYS!! When he's with me in the yard he always positions himself so he can see me and the entrance to our driveway.

ebarker9

Monkey
Oct 2, 2007
Any thought that it could be blood clots? GF's dog had similar symptoms and that's what it wound up being.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
We saved him from Parvo when we first got him and he was on deaths doorstep then. He is literally my shadow. We have 2 kids now and occasionally our bed will get too crowded so I'll switch beds for more room in the middle of the night and when I wake up in the morning he's on the floor next to me. ALWAYS!! When he's with me in the yard he always positions himself so he can see me and the entrance to our driveway.

Yeah mine was the same, when I found him you could see every rib and he would dig crickets out of the ground as food. I was threatened by my school that he would go to a shelter if he turned up once more, he had to be chained in the back yard but he worked out that a decent run up would snap anything so my parents put in 6ft steel fences, didn't work so he became an indoor cattle dog which he seemed to like.
As an kid he would curl up on my bed and we once had my grandparents staying there when I was away and my dog was supposedly standing on my grandfathers chest(in my bed) growling.

They do like one owner and can be a handful but I'd have another cattle dog in a flash, yours looks as if it has quite a bit of dingo in it, does he have the normal cattle yelp or a dingo howl?

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Really sorry to hear about your pooch, Stosh. It's a hard thing to go through. I remember when you first got him. We had to put our older dog down just six weeks ago (bone cancer). She was a great dog and my first, and putting her down upset me more than I had anticipated. I still miss her something awful. You know it's the right thing to do, but that doesn't make it any easier.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Yeah mine was the same, when I found him you could see every rib and he would dig crickets out of the ground as food. I was threatened by my school that he would go to a shelter if he turned up once more, he had to be chained in the back yard but he worked out that a decent run up would snap anything so my parents put in 6ft steel fences, didn't work so he became an indoor cattle dog which he seemed to like.
As an kid he would curl up on my bed and we once had my grandparents staying there when I was away and my dog was supposedly standing on my grandfathers chest(in my bed) growling.

They do like one owner and can be a handful but I'd have another cattle dog in a flash, yours looks as if it has quite a bit of dingo in it, does he have the normal cattle yelp or a dingo howl?
Yelp, never heard him howl.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Really sorry to hear about your pooch, Stosh. It's a hard thing to go through. I remember when you first got him. We had to put our older dog down just six weeks ago (bone cancer). She was a great dog and my first, and putting her down upset me more than I had anticipated. I still miss her something awful. You know it's the right thing to do, but that doesn't make it any easier.
Thanks man, I remember you guys getting your dogs around the same time. Sorry to hear you had to put one down. It's been a long week because I knew it was coming....

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
I had to go back and see this thread. It's been a grueling few months with Bruzer. The nerves running to his hind end are cut off somewhere along his spine and he's been getting worse. His back legs work about at about 50% and he's been having accidents in his sleep for a few months. We've had him to a few vets and can't seem to get if fixed.
He was on high doses of steroids for the past week with no effect. I have his "last" vet appointment scheduled for Thursday night. Sad sad sad.... days.....
I am sorry to hear :( My old girl is getting old and possibly close to one of her last vet appointments too......best wishes to you and bruzer

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Yeah cool, you dog just has super wide ears so I thought it might have some dingo traits.

This is where a good part of your dog comes from, the Australian dingo, but they can't bark-

On a slightly different note are they an expensive dog over there or are they quite common? Not too many people seem to have them over here now as a few years ago everyone went with the trendy Staffy(also the most stolen dog).

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Yeah cool, you dog just has super wide ears so I thought it might have some dingo traits.

This is where a good part of your dog comes from, the Australian dingo, but they can't bark-

On a slightly different note are they an expensive dog over there or are they quite common? Not too many people seem to have them over here now as a few years ago everyone went with the trendy Staffy(also the most stolen dog).
They are fairly common here. They are used as work dogs a bit here in the states. I don't think our dog was a "pure bred"

BadDNA

hophead
Mar 31, 2006
Living the dream.
Sorry to hear about your pal, Stosh. I've got two ACDs myself, one is almost three the other is one and a half. I've been riding with the older dog for a couple of years now and just started with the puppy last fall. They are great dogs and loyal to the end. I wish you the best, I know it's not going to be easy.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Sorry to hear about your pal, Stosh. I've got two ACDs myself, one is almost three the other is one and a half. I've been riding with the older dog for a couple of years now and just started with the puppy last fall. They are great dogs and loyal to the end. I wish you the best, I know it's not going to be easy.
Thanks, so nice to hear from other ACD owners. Nice to know other people understand exactly how crazy and compassionate they are.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
A friend of mine had to give his to a farmer as the dog was just mental(red blue ACD), some working dogs can't handle the residential life and his went nuts. You could only take it for a walk in a clockwise direction or it would just lay down until you turned around and then it would bolt, he ended up putting it on a working farm as he couldn't keep it from going nuts.

BadDNA

hophead
Mar 31, 2006
Living the dream.
Thanks, so nice to hear from other ACD owners. Nice to know other people understand exactly how crazy and compassionate they are.

These are my boys. They both came to me from the same rescue group. The older one is on the left and we're pretty sure he's a cross with an Australian Shepherd, he's got a tall lean build that isn't too common in ACDs. The puppy on the right is a pure bred ACD that was surrendered to the rescue by a breeder along with the rest of the litter when she got sick and wasn't able to care for them.

skibunny24

Enthusiastic Receiver of Reputation
Jun 16, 2010
Renton, WA
We've tossed this idea around but I know he wouldn't be able to live that way. He's a spaz and can't handle anything slightly abnormal on him.
Poor baby. I went through my 6year old Viszla getting his rear end crushed by an SUV (a$$hole on a cell wasn't paying attention as we loaded dogs up to go camping). I debated the wheels for legs, but he was too high strung as well. It was one of the hardest nights of my life, and I still miss that damn dog, but if you know he can't live that way... you have to do what is best for them. xoxo