Quantcast

Sol Vista National Champs

5150dhbiker

Turbo Monkey
Nov 5, 2007
Santa Barbara, CA
Huge props to the Sol Vista crew! Course was really really fun. I crashed pretty hard the second day of practice on one of the jumps and like an idiot also in my race run on Sunday. Had a huge blast practicing though! Can't wait to have my shoulder surgery and get back to racing!

5150dhbiker

Turbo Monkey
Nov 5, 2007
Santa Barbara, CA
On another note, anyone hear how Griz is doing after his crash in finals? I didn't see his actual crash but I did see the helicopter come in and take him out. All I heard is he went OTB on the last double and flew into the trees. Must have been pretty bad...caused about a 15-20min. course closure.

Trilliamiano

Monkey
Oct 7, 2007
Boone, NC
I don't mean to start beef (yes I do, east v west is hilarious), but I notice that CA riders are significantly better then... well, everybody else, from the east coast to the mountain states. Also funny that of the pacnw, east coast, and MSC, we have by far the worst race series.
Not for long... ;)

The Juniors from NC killed it, and took home a few stars and bars jerseys too.

Jay Fesperman- 1st Men DH open 13-14 (by 5 sec)

Luca Shaw- 1st Men JR 4X

other great finishes from NC Juniors include,
Men open DH 13-14- 6th and 9th
Men JR 4x- 9th
Men Cat 1 4x 15-18- 2nd
Men Cat 1 DH 17-18- 19th
Men Cat 1 DH 15-16- 8th

These guys all ride for GROM racing, and if you saw any of them shredding on their gray/black Big Hit's then you too know that the future of the S.E. gravity scene is very bright!

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Most every one of those kids was on hoop rides last year too or beaters. The Shaw brothers are animals.

Oh, and don't forget that Morgan kid out of Georgia. He has no mountains to ride, but is a fast bugger.

Trilliamiano

Monkey
Oct 7, 2007
Boone, NC
Oh, and don't forget that Morgan kid out of Georgia. He has no mountains to ride, but is a fast bugger.
It's crazy how he eats up steep terrain but lives in GA :confused:

Couldn't be more proud of the southern boys that went out there to represent. As a race promoter/race track designer it gives me more fuel to put on higher quality events so that our Juniors can get good experience and continue to kill it on the National scene.

Big ups to Sol Vista Bike Park crew for providing the awesome courses. They set the bar high with big (and well designed) jumps. Dirty Bird Race Productions (based out of western NC) www.dirtybirddh.com (shameless plug) has used the National Champs track as our inspiration for bringing more senders into our race courses so our local riders can hold their own at events such as this

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
congrats to Leigh Donovan too! 4th place! Stik must be stoked

tough break for Strobel too
Ya know, I did not even know strobel was here till race day...maybe he wasnt wearing that kit in practice?....

Ya stoked for Leigh, she grew a set the first day of practice and hit all the jumps (except the last Griz gap). She did it I think to let the girls that race every weekend that if an old mtber who barely rides can do it, so can they?....thankfully she did not hit them in finals, I was gonna have a heart attack lol, she was looking at pics of our daughter on race morn and she wanted to play it safe...I was on chairlift and I saw Jill and Jackie hit the hip, triple and Griz gap....so fast and smooth, so there is the 4-5 seconds leigh and buhl lost the race. Hopefully leigh makes the worlds team....she's the only American to ever win at mont st Anne...but that was 100 yrs ago.

Fun trip, will go again.

Ok....enough about girls racing, I am sure that topic puts everyone to sleep, I do know I wouldnt have hit those jumps though :)

On mobile on the plane, forgive typos

Summit

Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
here 'n there
Gotta give a huge props to Sol Vista - their skills with building features and courses are impressive. Had a blast on the DH. Never thought I'd hit jumps that big, at that high of a speed, but the Amigos were built so well it was just a matter of trusting it and going. Smooth as butter. Definitely the highlight of my weekend boosting those things.

But I also got humbled by the upper chunder. Never would've believed how roasted my arms could be on such a short course.

And USAC can go SUCK IT w/r/t the SuperClimb... I mean Super D. It had some great fun descending singletrack, but in what universe does running track have anything to do with riding a bicycle? The running mass start is one of the dumbest things I've ever done. And the mid-course climb was wayyyy too long for a Super D - at best this race was a point-to-point cross country race. Someday maybe they'll figure out that Super D needs to be time trial, and favor real all-mountain bikes and riders.

TheInedibleHulk

Turbo Monkey
May 26, 2004
Colorado
Thanks for all the props guys, it means a lot to all of us at Sol Vista. Probably the best thing about working here is seeing people just buzzing with excitement about their own progression, it can be an elusive feeling when you've been riding for a long time and being able to facilitate it for other people brings me back to when every new gap, feature, or successful run just felt awesome. We knew the Amateur track was going to be really challenging and rough and all I heard from the riders was excitement about it. Seeing a bunch of guys who are struggling with a hard track and are absolutely stoked about the challenge just goes to show how much character and drive you guys have. Thanks for coming out and making it a great race.

SCARY

Not long enough
Does anybody else look at the results and pick out where they probably would have placed,if they actually were there,based on who they know and where they usually finish around them?It saves me gas mileage,motel money and hospital bills.
- If Stick would throw his weight around and get Jake to ship my bike(ehhhem)I might be able to actually finish 52nd at one of these races,instead of e-placing at it.Apparently,the sales guys dont know who I am.Hellooo..??!
-I don't understand Gwins time compared to where I would have placed...I just don't get it.
And to think Peat or Hill probaly coulda taken another 5 or more secs. off.

SCARY

Not long enough
How bout' 3-5?
-Can you give me 5?c'mon,c'mon gimme five,gimmee five,I got 2-3 in the corner can I get a 4?four, four, four, I gotta getta four second spread-c'mon,c'mon gimme a four-can I see a Peat beat a Gwin with a four second lead at the finish?!Lemme hear it-Going,going once, goin twice.......

thom9719

Turbo Monkey
Jul 25, 2005
In the Northwest.
I don't mean to start beef (yes I do, east v west is hilarious), but I notice that CA riders are significantly better then... well, everybody else, from the east coast to the mountain states. Also funny that of the pacnw, east coast, and MSC, we have by far the worst race series.

Go CA!

4/5 CA

7/10 CA

10/15 CA

12/20 CA

But congrats to KT for being 15th! looks like a big result, and a super rad race run for him!
Thanks for the props! I had a pretty decent run, with a mechanical (I didn't check my stem bolts and my stem had about a 1/4 inch of play at the bottom. Pretty sketch hitting a 40 foot double with a loose bar!). I took it easier than I should have in some spots that I figured would be blown out Should of, would of, could of, I guess! Pedalling at elevation was killer though!

Back on topic,

I think a lot of the difference has to do with the type of trails. In the PNW, we don't ride dry dusty flat trails. We ride steep, rooty, and wet stuff (most of the time) As the race series travels around the country, it's interesting to see how riders perform at different races and how they don't do as well at others. Guys from dry climates seem to do well in those conditions, but tend to not do as well when it gets wet and vice versa (please note, this is a VERY large generalization and there are numerous exceptions at any given race)

I know that little things like tempurature can play a huge part in a race result. At the Tahoe GRT a few weeks ago, it was nearly 100 degrees. when we left seattle, it was 60 outside. a 40 degree increase in temperature really takes it's effect on the human body. All of the guys I was with, myself included, really felt like we had no energy at all and it showed in the race results. I didn't crash, I didn't have a mechanical, I just couldn't get my body to pedal at that tempurature. It's the same thing with elevation. It takes a while to adjust to the different geographic locations, time zones, elevation etc and that effect is amplifed when trying to perform a physical task.

We had an interesting discussion this weekend about the course. While I thought it was one of the most fun courses I've ever ridden, the point was made that it doesn't do a good job of determining which of the riders in the US will do well at worlds (or world cups). The general consenus was that we need more world cup style tracks for big races in the US. We have the tracks, we just need to have the big races on them to really help prepare US riders for the world cups. Sol Vista was probally a great track to determine who to send to worlds last year. This year is probally not as indicitive of who will do well (with the exception of Gwin). Not to take anything away from any of the guys on the podium as they all killed it and deserve to be on the worlds team.

The rumor is that Nationals location has not been decided for next year. It sounded like USA cycling wanted to split the gravity and XC disciplines into different venues (dumb IMO), but maybe it's what is needed to bring the nationals gravity race back to a more world cup style track (Port Angeles anyone :thumb:)

As a whole though, it was awesome to see the level of talent that the US is producing. If DH can continue with the current level of progression, there is no reason that we can't have more riders like Gwin/Strobel/Riffle out doing well on the WC.

-KT

jasonvelocity

Monkey
Aug 26, 2008
Palmer Lake, CO
The rumor is that Nationals location has not been decided for next year. It sounded like USA cycling wanted to split the gravity and XC disciplines into different venues (dumb IMO), but maybe it's what is needed to bring the nationals gravity race back to a more world cup style track (Port Angeles anyone :thumb:)

-KT
Splitting it might not be a bad idea. The bias towards XC was obvious, and if we could shove those guys off onto some sort of perfectly smooth course (like they seem to ask for), then DH can have more practice time as well as the full attention of race announcers.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
nice post KT, I was really just teasing because east vs west debates get started so easy on the monkey, but yah, it does seem like from what I've seen of sol vista, its very similar to socal and norcal. Whiteface would also be a great venue if they've done some building, can't wait to see what the progrt brings. Donno if the location is great, since there is nothing nearby, but the trails are top notch steep, tech, and fast.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
nice post KT, I was really just teasing because east vs west debates get started so easy on the monkey, but yah, it does seem like from what I've seen of sol vista, its very similar to socal and norcal. Whiteface would also be a great venue if they've done some building, can't wait to see what the progrt brings. Donno if the location is great, since there is nothing nearby, but the trails are top notch steep, tech, and fast.
Whiteface is a great venue if only for it's location. It's far from major airports, but it's also the site of the 19somethingsomething winter olympics...tons of places to stay and tons of infrastructure for major events. Plus the trails offer a good mix of technical northern coastal riding, WFO ski trails, and loamy pine forest stuff. I think given the overall vertical of the mountain, you'd really see the best riders come forward.

Regardless, it would be nice to see them move the location around yearly, just to add some variety.

ride

Monkey
Jan 11, 2005
Yeah KT, good job this weekend dude, I'm proud of ya. You've come a long way over the last year. Always remember the bolt check mang. I checked my stem/crown bolts during practice on Sun and mine were loose as well..

Bring that shiz to the NW somewhere, there are a few runs up here that are as close a simulation of the current WC courses as you're going to find.

Funny anecdote however- I was talking to a a very respected coach on the WC circuit at N*, and he mentioned there is no reason that the WC courses need to be on wet Euro technical courses all the time. It just so happens that's what the circuit has become. It probably would be a more well rounded series if it had a few different style courses included.

Thanks for the props! I had a pretty decent run, with a mechanical (I didn't check my stem bolts and my stem had about a 1/4 inch of play at the bottom. Pretty sketch hitting a 40 foot double with a loose bar!). I took it easier than I should have in some spots that I figured would be blown out Should of, would of, could of, I guess! Pedalling at elevation was killer though!

Back on topic,

I think a lot of the difference has to do with the type of trails. In the PNW, we don't ride dry dusty flat trails. We ride steep, rooty, and wet stuff (most of the time) As the race series travels around the country, it's interesting to see how riders perform at different races and how they don't do as well at others. Guys from dry climates seem to do well in those conditions, but tend to not do as well when it gets wet and vice versa (please note, this is a VERY large generalization and there are numerous exceptions at any given race)

I know that little things like tempurature can play a huge part in a race result. At the Tahoe GRT a few weeks ago, it was nearly 100 degrees. when we left seattle, it was 60 outside. a 40 degree increase in temperature really takes it's effect on the human body. All of the guys I was with, myself included, really felt like we had no energy at all and it showed in the race results. I didn't crash, I didn't have a mechanical, I just couldn't get my body to pedal at that tempurature. It's the same thing with elevation. It takes a while to adjust to the different geographic locations, time zones, elevation etc and that effect is amplifed when trying to perform a physical task.

We had an interesting discussion this weekend about the course. While I thought it was one of the most fun courses I've ever ridden, the point was made that it doesn't do a good job of determining which of the riders in the US will do well at worlds (or world cups). The general consenus was that we need more world cup style tracks for big races in the US. We have the tracks, we just need to have the big races on them to really help prepare US riders for the world cups. Sol Vista was probally a great track to determine who to send to worlds last year. This year is probally not as indicitive of who will do well (with the exception of Gwin). Not to take anything away from any of the guys on the podium as they all killed it and deserve to be on the worlds team.

As a whole though, it was awesome to see the level of talent that the US is producing. If DH can continue with the current level of progression, there is no reason that we can't have more riders like Gwin/Strobel/Riffle out doing well on the WC.

-KT