Quantcast

Some people, you just shouldn't answer the phone.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
So there's this dude who is basically a friend of some friends. He's shown up for rides a couple of times, but he can never keep up, so there's always some excuse for him to bail early.

Anyway, for the last 5 years or so, literally EVERY time he has called me, it's because he wants a favor. Most of the time it's, "I bought a (whatever) for my bike and I need you to install it". One time he needed someone to help him move. A couple times he's asked me to give him guitar lessons. NEVER offers anything in return, just assumes that I sit around all day waiting for him to give me sh!t to do. It's gotten to the point where if I see his name on my caller ID, I let it go to voicemail.

Well, today, his name up on my caller ID, and I decide to be nice and answer it. Oops. Riding season is around the corner, he needs a complete overhaul on both of his bikes. Imagine that! The funny thing is, he rides about twice a year. His bikes are probably still perfect from the last friggin time I worked on them.

Basically I'm just kicking myself for being stupid enough to answer the phone. So go ahead and have a laugh at my expense. Everyone knows someone like that, right? :disgust1:

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Show up at his house, eat all his food, drink all his beer... maybe have sex with his wife/girlfriend/sister if she's around.

See if he calls back after that :D

vtjim

Beware of Milo & Otis
Jan 6, 2006
North Andover MA
You can't just give him the 'ol, "I'm really swamped these days you know. I don't think I really have time, it would be a hell of a lot easier if you just brought them to the LBS."

I mean really, nothing wrong with saying no.

Arkayne

I come bearing GIFs
May 10, 2005
SoCal
I would ask him to bring some bike lube, beer or cleaning supplies so you can at least get 'something' out of it. Unless, he takes it back with him. Otherwise, the "take it to the lbs" excuse will have to be used.

Good luck man, it's hard to play the bad guy if you've always been the latter.

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
Some people are just so nice. That freeloader would be avoiding my ass after he asked for something the second time.

edit: Have him drop it off, then loosen the skewers and cranks.

Wait... you'll be working on his electric wheelchair after that.

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
I offer beer and dinner to "My mechanic". Especially for wheel truing! :thumb:

:think:....Which reminds me......Dartman, what ya doin' Friday? Need to replace that spoke and tighten up the rear hub.....

:D

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Y'all that are suggesting I have him bring beer over: he does that. I'm really not that poor that I need people to bring me beer, and he always brings sh!tty beer anyway. And I would rather drink beer with people I like. Same thing with having him buy me lunch or dinner. That would mean I would have to hang out with him even more, and he would probably think I really owe him after that. I think I'm gonna go with "dude, take your bikes to Trailblazers".

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
I offer beer and dinner to "My mechanic". Especially for wheel truing! :thumb:

:think:....Which reminds me......Dartman, what ya doin' Friday? Need to replace that spoke and tighten up the rear hub.....

:D
Oh there you are! Um..yeah..friday could work. :D

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Y'all that are suggesting I have him bring beer over: he does that. I'm really not that poor that I need people to bring me beer, and he always brings sh!tty beer anyway. And I would rather drink beer with people I like. Same thing with having him buy me lunch or dinner. That would mean I would have to hang out with him even more, and he would probably think I really owe him after that. I think I'm gonna go with "dude, take your bikes to Trailblazers".
Or you could just tell him, face to face, what you think of him.

MtnbikeMike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2004
The 909
Does he stand there and watch you work on his bike?

If not, just give the barrel adjuster a couple of turns. When he says something about it, just reply with, "Heh, the cable must have stretched since I just replaced the cable and housing."

Mr Big

Monkey
Jan 23, 2004
The Betty Ford Clinic
Do it. Then switch his brake levers. We had a guy that rode with us about once every 6 months and would come into the shop like he owned the place. We got tired of it and decided to switch his brakes up. The next time he came out to ride I swear he endoed like 5 times and kept saying "man I sure am falling a lot today and stupid rocks" poor bastard didn’t even notice.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Do it. Then switch his brake levers. We had a guy that rode with us about once every 6 months and would come into the shop like he owned the place. We got tired of it and decided to switch his brakes up. The next time he came out to ride I swear he endoed like 5 times and kept saying "man I sure am falling a lot today and stupid rocks" poor bastard didn’t even notice.
Funny, but fockin' illegal and stupid. Good luck with that karma.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Don't have that friend but I have the friend who always seems to show up as I am about to spark a fat one.