Quantcast

Something New is Dropping Friday

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
Good call on that, not sure how that would affect them on a product like that.

Not sure what else the subliminal background image could be.

-Brett
Hadn't even seen that, looks an awful lot like a dropper and a remote lever now that you mention it.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
Looks exactly like a dropper post and remote, or a bong. Probably a bong.

I don't think anybody even buys Fox's dropper, so it wouldn't be too shocking if they allowed Race Face to build a dropper of their own. Also lets you keep your cockpit all matching, which is almost as important as your goggles and fork stickers matching.

But it's definitely a bong.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
the only person I've ever heard of who bought one just told me he hates the remote on it...? so there's that. I wasn't pysched on it when I rode his, but I don't have much dropper post experience.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
the only person I've ever heard of who bought one just told me he hates the remote on it...? so there's that. I wasn't pysched on it when I rode his, but I don't have much dropper post experience.
I think the Fox remote sucks too. Amusingly, Crank Brothers actually had the best stock one, with the Joplin. Unfortunately it doesn't pull very much cable so it doesn't work very well with a lot of other posts.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
neat.

Don't all the pros alter their cable actuated ones to use front der. shifters to actuate their droppers?

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
neat.

Don't all the pros alter their cable actuated ones to use front der. shifters to actuate their droppers?
I've run one of those. It's easier to use than most of the standard levers for sure, but the stock Thomson one is actually pretty good, and I'm used to it at this point (have them on two bikes) so meh.

wood booger

Monkey
Jul 16, 2008
the land of cheap beer
neat.

Yes, or buy one of purpose made things from Specialized, etc.

You cannot beat the front shifter position for a dropper lever, there is a reason the shifter was there. It is the most natural and easiest position to get your thumb to while riding.
Unless, of course, you thumb is permanently jammed in your ass.

I also don't see why Fox would care, they are not losing sales per se. The holding company still gets the $ whether it comes through RF or Fox or Easton. No sales are lost.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
I find the DOSS remote to be fine if you run it under the bar like a shifter (requires 1x or using a grip shift front shifter).

Last edited:

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
Some German site jumped the gun:

So it's going to be a cable actuated dropper with zero offset that will be sold as a Easton Haven and Race Face Turbine post.

weight: 495g (30.9 x 440 x 150mm without remote)
lengths: 350-, 375-, 415-, 440mm
travel: 100-, 125-,150mm
Diameters: 30.9-, 31.6mm

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
Eurotrash price will be a hefty 449 €. An alternative that flies under the radar for a lot of people might be the new Giant Contact Switch SL post - it costs just about half as much at 229 € and is finally available with 125 and 150mm travel and less offset. Mine has been super reliable and the lever feels great too.

Carraig042

me 1st
Apr 5, 2011
East Tennessee
Only 30 grams less than my Hilo SLS and double the retail...

Still interested in its inner workings to see if anything sets it apart from the others.

-Brett