Quantcast

Specialzied 2007 stuff

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
SuspectDevice said:
It is most likely "x-fusion" stuff, they are the people who make most of the Fox stuff to begin with, and also make the shocks for Scott. Those lowers do look mighty suntour though.

People need to realize that pretty much all the suspension forks in the whole world come from 2 or 3 different shops in Taiwan. The lowers for your Boxxer were cast right next to someone elses 888. Some companies "assemble" their forks in italy or the US, but the majority of the parts were made by Spinner or SR.
I think fork companies are more than just the sum of the parts. Design plays into part of it, assembly is another. Knowing that you can get a replacement seal or someone to rebuild your fork is extremely valuable.

Did I think Fox forks are entirely American made? Or that Rockshox is inferior because the forks are made and assembled in Taiwan? But dealing with people who actually ride is just as important as the country of origin.

P.S. I noticed Spinner does not even have a phone number, or X-Fusion an address.

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
Transcend said:
To be honest, as a consumer, I would be less likely to buy a product with "specialized" suspension, than with fox, marzocchi etc. Reputation goes a long way.
Yep, I 100% agree with that. Why in the world am I going to buy a frame, bike, whatever with some one-off only branded suspension? I think Specialized wants everything for themselves. Think about it, they make a whole line of parts that you could build almost a complete bike with Specialized branded parts. I was on their website the other day and was amazed by how many branded parts they sell (that aren't OEM).

I would have thought Specialized would have just went with Fox, paid them some $$$, and used their own brandings on parts. Why try to re-invent the wheel here?

I do feel better knowing that a frame has a fox, manipoo, marzocchi products on them. And as those parts get higher up then you really appricate it more. They can do whatever with the low-end market as it won't make much of a difference but the higher end shocks will.

sjcX3oldtown

Monkey
Mar 22, 2005
san juan capistrano old town
if specialized will design a dual purpose fork for a somewhat popular bicycle - then they will get a click and design a for a 29er epic or race hardtail -this just increases the chances of specialized designing a 29er EPIC or HT fork - only time will tell

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
Personally I like alot of stuff they've done on that bike. Those forks sound excellent(never bar spinned in my life)as long as there's a lot of stem options. I'd like a bike I could ride out to some cool places then bomb down them with good geo. I ride for the speeed thrill not the climbing and if your other bikes a DH pig this thing will seem to climb well.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
no skid marks said:
Personally I like alot of stuff they've done on that bike. Those forks sound excellent(never bar spinned in my life)as long as there's a lot of stem options. I'd like a bike I could ride out to some cool places then bomb down them with good geo. I ride for the speeed thrill not the climbing and if your other bikes a DH pig this thing will seem to climb well.
There are a lot more advantages to a single-crown fork than just being able to do barspins. Knocking your knees on the uppers and decreased steering radius are two negatives that instantly come to mind. I'd rather the fork weigh .25lb more but be more versatile.

Superdeft

Monkey
Dec 4, 2003
East Coast
punkassean said:
There are a lot more advantages to a single-crown fork than just being able to do barspins. Knocking your knees on the uppers and decreased steering radius are two negatives that instantly come to mind. I'd rather the fork weigh .25lb more but be more versatile.
I agree, with crashes there's less of a chance of a taco'd wheel, and fitting your bike into a car can also be made easier with that type of freedom.

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
punkassean said:
Yes whacking your knees is one(I'm always in guards)but your subconscious protects you from that fairly well. I ride very tight trails and never had a full lock(turning)problem,man handling the bike through rough stuff on foot I find the tripples help,and they save cables and hoses from damage in a crash,I've never tachoed a front wheel and if I did....oh this is all nit picking. I'd love those tripples if they performed,singles are just to flexy feeling for me. Each to their own I guess.

jvnixon

Turbo Monkey
May 14, 2006
SickLines.com
DCRAC3R said:
hopefully the new demos, either 7,8,9 are going to be less than last years prices, ugly but I can understand the bent top tube
mmm the (demo8) supposed to get a weight reduction. I'm not sure if the price is going to drop. There's no demo 9 for 07.