Quantcast

Spitfire, Scout, Troy, etc

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
Actually have a large Spitfire sans shock in my cart. After reading your first post about getting yours next month, wondering if Dirt Merchant gave you a delivery eta.

Anybody running a coil on their Spitty? I have a DHX RC4 from the BR in the correct size. Thoughts on the Fox SLS and CC VALT springs to save a little weight.
Mine is supposed to ship today. He could have shipped it last week when I ordered it but I also bought a Knolly Delirium from them at the same time which needed to be ordered from Knolly. Last time I bought a frame from them it showed up in 2-3 days.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
I've come to a conclusion that I don't want to deal with Evil's issues. The Following seems to be just fine but I saw some evidence of less enthusiastic owners of the Wreckoning and Insurgent leading to frame replacements which I want no part of. Besides, while their 29ers seem to be rad, the Insurgent looks quite average.

It is interesting that they apparently have not sold the frames even for sub-$2k a piece. The Boost effect must be in full effect.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Interesting. FWIW, the coupon did not work on the frames.

I would hardly say the frames aren't selling. They got massive coverage and ended up with pretty decent distribution channels. In this industry though, if you don't innovate/invent new standards every 5 minutes, you get left in the dust.

Metamorphic

Monkey
May 12, 2015
Cackalack
Anybody running a coil on their Spitty? I have a DHX RC4 from the BR in the correct size. Thoughts on the Fox SLS and CC VALT springs to save a little weight.
I've got a DB Coil Inline and Valt spring in the mail to me now, can't wait!

Haven't ran across anyone that has run a coil on their spit and not been turbo stoked on the results. Several MTBR threads on the topic.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...

Haven't ran across anyone that has run a coil on their spit and not been turbo stoked on the results. Several MTBR threads on the topic.
Woot! Nice C-rock, I look forward to hearing your impressions. I have the same designs for my Megajizz. Interesting info about people having no issues with running a coil on the Spit deux, as Keith indicated a coil was no bueno on the Mk1 version. I'm assuming there done been some changes to the kinematics between the 2 models.

CheetaMike

Monkey
Jul 17, 2016
Whonnock BC Canada
I asked Keith about using a coil-over and he said no problem , the linkage design is progressive , he did suggest some type of bottom out control on the shock though .

mrgto

Monkey
Aug 4, 2009
So why not a Megatrail?

I just came off a 140mm bike and this bike rides just as efficient but descends much better.

I do have megasmall wheels tho so yrmv...

Dec 3, 2007

I asked Keith about using a coil-over and he said no problem , the linkage design is progressive , he did suggest some type of bottom out control on the shock though .
Good to know. Saw a couple pics with coils installed. I'm due for a fresh spring and wondered if the lighter steel options were worth the extra $$ over the standard Fox offerings.

So why not a Megatrail?

I just came off a 140mm bike and this bike rides just as efficient but descends much better.

I do have megasmall wheels tho so yrmv...
MT was on the wishlist for sure. Cost was the biggest factor and dropping the 26" version killed it for me. I rode the 27.5" version when I was in Denver this summer and really couldn't get with the longer chainstays. The GG crew were super cool though. Pretty sure I got to see one of the first Trail Pistols being welded up.

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
I ran an Avy-gutted Fox VAN RC on my Spitfire v2, it worked really damn well. My one gripe was that it didn't have quite enough LSC off the top and liked to push into its travel a bit too much for my liking when pumping through rolling terrain / jump lips, but it felt amazing at high speeds. I had issues with the Fox CTD (and hated the CCDB Air before it), and the coil seemed to work best. I'd be curious to try the latest crop of beefier air shocks on that bike though.

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
My Spitfire rips. I would like to try a Patrol, but I'm super stoked on how good my Spitfire is. It really does not feel like 140mm bike. IMO it doesn't have the plush squish feel. I like it. Kind of rides like a hard tail that takes the harshness off.

I'm a Banshee fanboi. Been on my Legend 5 years and never had a problem. Instantly felt comfortable. Just like on the Spitty.
LOL... I'm contemplating a new bike and the Patrol that they detailed in the latest issue of BIKE certainly caught me eye.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Anyone have any info on that new Evil The Calling?

@kazlx, what do you weigh? and do you like to charge through rock gardens, or pick your way through them? I'm toying with the idea of a Banshee, but I'm torn between the Spitfire and Rune. If the Rune were a little less slack, I don't think I'd hesitate, but I find it's just a little too slack for general all round riding. But I certainly love to spank the rock gardens, and I'm a big fella at 220 soaking wet, so I'm worried about the Spitty being a little too dainty. I've grown accustomed to 160mm of travel, having been riding a 160mm-travel bike for the past 10 years...

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
I'm about 240-250. The Spitty definitely isn't dainty. I have to say, after always thinking I needed more travel, the Spitfire has been an awesome bike. I feel like I have the bike set up pretty well right now. I use the travel, but I also don't feel like I'm slamming it all the time. The bike seriously just rips. I'm extremely happy with it for an all around trail bike.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Anyone have any info on that new Evil The Calling?

@kazlx, what do you weigh? and do you like to charge through rock gardens, or pick your way through them? I'm toying with the idea of a Banshee, but I'm torn between the Spitfire and Rune. If the Rune were a little less slack, I don't think I'd hesitate, but I find it's just a little too slack for general all round riding. But I certainly love to spank the rock gardens, and I'm a big fella at 220 soaking wet, so I'm worried about the Spitty being a little too dainty. I've grown accustomed to 160mm of travel, having been riding a 160mm-travel bike for the past 10 years...
you gotta be honest about where / what you ride on the regular. do the trails your routinely ride have a lot of gnarly descents? are you doing long "meh" climbs followed by long descents? or is it a lot of up/down/up/down?

FWIW i'm somewhere between 210-220 lbs geared up. i had been looking at the megatrail, but then also started considering the spitfire, because when i was honest with myself, as much as i would have liked an MT, it would just have been too much bike for what i routinely ride. i wound up getting a spitfire, and am very happy with my decision. the majority of what i ride is your general trail / xc style riding (local terrain doesn't have a ton of elevation, and is moderately rocky at best).

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
But I certainly love to spank the rock gardens, and I'm a big fella at 220 soaking wet, so I'm worried about the Spitty being a little too dainty. I've grown accustomed to 160mm of travel, having been riding a 160mm-travel bike for the past 10 years...
The Calling is a 130mm 27.5/26+ bike, if you are worried about the Spitty I don't think you should be looking at this bike at all. But, it is metric to the boo(s)t therefore the only rideabru thing nowadays.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
I agree with that. I think people don't really need as much bike/travel as they think they need. But, I also rode some pretty decent (DH) stuff on my Chromag pretty routinely. I think for an all around trail bike, pedal up, have fun on the descents, the Spitfire is awesome. Everything I've read in people's reviews is very true. The bike is stable, climbs pretty well, for me at least, has been super reliable and is just fun to ride. I've got 5 years of DH on my Legend and have had zero problems.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I agree with that. I think people don't really need as much bike/travel as they think they need. But, I also rode some pretty decent (DH) stuff on my Chromag pretty routinely. I think for an all around trail bike, pedal up, have fun on the descents, the Spitfire is awesome. Everything I've read in people's reviews is very true. The bike is stable, climbs pretty well, for me at least, has been super reliable and is just fun to ride. I've got 5 years of DH on my Legend and have had zero problems.
i have no doubts about the spitty's ability to handle the occasional gnarlier descent. however if i was riding that kind of terrain routinely, i'd probably look for a "little more" bike (more gravity focused)

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I'm about 240-250. The Spitty definitely isn't dainty. I have to say, after always thinking I needed more travel, the Spitfire has been an awesome bike. I feel like I have the bike set up pretty well right now. I use the travel, but I also don't feel like I'm slamming it all the time. The bike seriously just rips. I'm extremely happy with it for an all around trail bike.
you gotta be honest about where / what you ride on the regular. do the trails your routinely ride have a lot of gnarly descents? are you doing long "meh" climbs followed by long descents? or is it a lot of up/down/up/down?
Most of my rides cover about 1300' of elevation gain, so not huge. Most of my riding buddies are on lesser-travel bikes and are faster than me. Most of the KOMs around here are owned by guys on XC bikes - even the downhills (but maybe that's caus' the fast downhill riders don't use strava).

The thing is, I've decided that I'm not trying to become a better all-round rider (I'm too old for that shit, and have two young kids!). I've decided to focus on the parts of the ride that I enjoy the most, which are the DH sections. My favourite ride has about a 30 minute climb, with a 20 minute descent (it has a couple of little climbs in the middle of it), but that's about the biggest we get here. It's also really really rocky here.

I also have a tendency of destroying rear tires - I'm averaging about 2 tires destroyed per year, with semi-reinforced casings (EXO and Grid), and when I use "enduro" casing tires, it's the rims that get destroyed... I just replaced my Spank Oozy 295 after pulling a couple of spokes out and flat-spotting it... it was running a WTB Trail Boss Tough casing tire (which was fine). So I'm not after moar travel because it's fits into my definition of a category, but really because I'm tough on rear wheels. I suppose I could change my approach and try and ride lighter or slower, but where's the fun in that?! I love trying to gap sections, or trying to find that one magical line in the rock garden that requires you to air in/out of...

I like the geometry and angles of the spitfire. I like that I can run my 26" parts on it until I'm ready to "upgrade" to the heavier wheel sizes. I'm just worried that it would be even more destructive on rear wheels. But who am I kidding, I don't think 2cm of rear wheel travel is going to make a huge difference...

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
I use to destroy wheels as well, but I've really worked on trying to get smoother. I definitely feel I'm smoother and faster now than I have ever been. When I first got into biking, I was all about the most travel I could get in a trail bike. I wanted everything burly. I rode an early Knolly DT for a few years and it was a tank, but looking back, climbing sucked. I really like how well newer bikes climb along with geo geared for going down.

Most of my rides are similar to what it sounds like you have. 8-15 maybe 20 miles, 1000-2000' ish feet of climbing. I'm running a 34 with a 10-42 and it does everything pretty well. I could use a little more gear on some of the climbs, but I still usually make it. I much prefer longer gradual climbs to short and steep, so my gearing works well for that.

I did just put a nice wheel set on the Spitty which made a huge difference. I was running the stock SRAM Roam 30 wheels, with single ply Nobby Nics. The combo sucked and I knew it wasn't what I wanted for the bike. I sprung for a used set of Enves and threw them on with some Maxxis Minions and it made a world of difference. Really woke up the bike. It's a hair more sluggish climbing just because of a stouter casing and wider tires, but I think the weight on the Enves helped offset quite a bit. Even just a sturdy set of aluminum wheels would be good for the bike though. I think a proper wheel set is really needed to take advantage of what the bike has to offer.

I've got two young kids as well, so I don't get to ride as much as I'd like, but I try to get out on rides that I enjoy. I was in a hardtail as my only trail bike for the last few years. Wasn't really thinking of a new bike, but got the complete Spitty at Jenson for $2100 out the door and couldn't pass it up. Haven't regretted it for a second. It's a phenomenal bike and I plan on riding it for years. I do think at 6'1", I could have gone XL instead of L for a little more room. Don't mind my bike, but on the next one, I'd go XL. I just bought a new Legend in XL, so curious to see how that feels when I get it built.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Most of my rides cover about 1300' of elevation gain, so not huge. Most of my riding buddies are on lesser-travel bikes and are faster than me. Most of the KOMs around here are owned by guys on XC bikes - even the downhills (but maybe that's caus' the fast downhill riders don't use strava).

The thing is, I've decided that I'm not trying to become a better all-round rider (I'm too old for that shit, and have two young kids!). I've decided to focus on the parts of the ride that I enjoy the most, which are the DH sections. My favourite ride has about a 30 minute climb, with a 20 minute descent (it has a couple of little climbs in the middle of it), but that's about the biggest we get here. It's also really really rocky here.

I also have a tendency of destroying rear tires - I'm averaging about 2 tires destroyed per year, with semi-reinforced casings (EXO and Grid), and when I use "enduro" casing tires, it's the rims that get destroyed... I just replaced my Spank Oozy 295 after pulling a couple of spokes out and flat-spotting it... it was running a WTB Trail Boss Tough casing tire (which was fine). So I'm not after moar travel because it's fits into my definition of a category, but really because I'm tough on rear wheels. I suppose I could change my approach and try and ride lighter or slower, but where's the fun in that?! I love trying to gap sections, or trying to find that one magical line in the rock garden that requires you to air in/out of...

I like the geometry and angles of the spitfire. I like that I can run my 26" parts on it until I'm ready to "upgrade" to the heavier wheel sizes. I'm just worried that it would be even more destructive on rear wheels. But who am I kidding, I don't think 2cm of rear wheel travel is going to make a huge difference...
in that case sounds like your issue is your rims, not the bike. :D

fwiw i have the oozy 260s on my spitfire, put them on in june, and haven't had any issues. then again it sounds like you're riding rockier terrain than i usually do.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
We have rock gardens but they tend to be smoother rocks. I still manage to jack stuff up trying to gap things.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
i too suffer from NDRD (new dad riding deficiency) but i still manage to climb on the spitty w/ no problems on all but the steepest stuff. not as much power / speed as i used to climb, but i'm chalking that up to a general lower fitness level these days. probably wouldn't hurt to lighten up the bike a little either.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
In all fairness to my rims, I put them on at the end of the 2014 season. so they've seen all of 2015 and all of 2016. They owe me nothing! I'm dubious about carbon rims because of my history. The Oozy 295s are barely 20g (if that) heavier than equivalent width carbon rims, and they're quite stiff. I have them built up on King hubs.

My local shop also has a side-venture re-labelling chinese carbon rims. When I brought my wheel in to replace the rim, the owner looked at it, and saw the three flat spots, and where I'd pried the sidewall back a couple of times, and figured that any one of those hits could easily have cracked a carbon rim... so for 20g, not much appreciable stiffness gain, and at over 2x the price, I'm not going carbon.

The more I think about it, the more I think the Spitty is the best bike for me on the market at the moment (wink wink, nudge nudge @mtg... ). Honestly, the only thing it's missing IMO is a usable a water bottle mount.

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
In all fairness to my rims, I put them on at the end of the 2014 season. so they've seen all of 2015 and all of 2016. They owe me nothing! I'm dubious about carbon rims because of my history. The Oozy 295s are barely 20g (if that) heavier than equivalent width carbon rims, and they're quite stiff. I have them built up on King hubs.

My local shop also has a side-venture re-labelling chinese carbon rims. When I brought my wheel in to replace the rim, the owner looked at it, and saw the three flat spots, and where I'd pried the sidewall back a couple of times, and figured that any one of those hits could easily have cracked a carbon rim... so for 20g, not much appreciable stiffness gain, and at over 2x the price, I'm not going carbon.

The more I think about it, the more I think the Spitty is the best bike for me on the market at the moment (wink wink, nudge nudge @mtg... ). Honestly, the only thing it's missing IMO is a usable a water bottle mount.
What are your favorite and least favorite aspects of it? What would you change? (other than the noted water bottle location)

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
What are your favorite and least favorite aspects of it? What would you change? (other than the noted water bottle location)
eeesh. that's a lot of pressure!

well, here goes (bearing in mind I've never ridden one)

I like:
aluminium
leverage rate graph
external cable routing
head tube angle (66°)
seat tube angle (74°)
works with 160mm fork
can run 26" wheels/fork
iscg tabs
threaded bb
descriptions I've read on-line about how it climbs (like a dual-short link bike - I like how my DW-link bike behaves under pedaling, especially climbing tech)

like less:
water bottle location
would like 10mm-20mm more travel.

wait a minute... :think: I just looked at the geo chart for the megatrail... looks pretty much like what I've just asked for... hmmm... Do you have a linkage program chart of the leverage rate of the megratrail and spitfire together?

I think this requires further investigation...:banana:

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
I don't think you could go wrong with a Megatrail either. I went with the Spitfire purely on price and getting a good deal from Jenson. GG would be my other top choice.

Last edited:

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada

I like:
aluminium
leverage rate graph
external cable routing
head tube angle (66°)
seat tube angle (74°)
works with 160mm fork
can run 26" wheels/fork
iscg tabs
threaded bb
descriptions I've read on-line about how it climbs (like a dual-short link bike - I like how my DW-link bike behaves under pedaling, especially climbing tech)

like less:
water bottle location

wait a minute... :think: I just looked at the geo chart for the megatrail... looks pretty much like what I've just asked for... hmmm... Do you have a linkage program chart of the leverage rate of the megratrail and spitfire together?

Forgot to include in the "like" column the ability to run 142 width rear hub.

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
I do think at 6'1", I could have gone XL instead of L for a little more room. Don't mind my bike, but on the next one, I'd go XL. I just bought a new Legend in XL, so curious to see how that feels when I get it built.
Really? I gotta try your bike out then. I'm on a Medium and I'm 5'11". Tried HAB's LArge way back when and it felt too long for me. Maybe yours has a shorter stem and would fit better.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
Really? I gotta try your bike out then. I'm on a Medium and I'm 5'11". Tried HAB's LArge way back when and it felt too long for me. Maybe yours has a shorter stem and would fit better.
I have a 35mm stem on mine.

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO

I like:
aluminium
leverage rate graph
external cable routing
head tube angle (66°)
seat tube angle (74°)
works with 160mm fork
can run 26" wheels/fork
iscg tabs
threaded bb

like less:
water bottle location

Those are your likes/dislikes for the Spitty, right?

I don't have a Leverate™ graph of the Megatrail and Spitty overlaid. But, I think @jackalope has that one handy.

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
Does it have 36" wheels with the upcoming "nuclear boost™" hub dimension of 0.2658π parsecs ?
Psshhh. 36" wheels are too big, 29" are now too small, and this is the bike industry. That can only mean one thing....here come the 32ers!!! It will compliment 29+ perfectly.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Those are your likes/dislikes for the Spitty, right?

I don't have a Leverate™ graph of the Megatrail and Spitty overlaid. But, I think @jackalope has that one handy.

Jackalope here posting on kidwoo's account. I was just over here uh, providing some service and hopped on his computer. Boy I love the cock. Nyom nyom nyom, can't get enough. Never enough weenis.

But anyway, here ya go

MTvsSF.JPG

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
Hai guys, Kevin Woo here - just checking in under jackys account to show off my latest bike bestie

Playful, climbs like a goat, and just monster trucks boulder fields and even those shitty plastic speed bumps in mall parking lots.

Anyhoo, I think this bike proves that in no way do I tap my foot in airport bathroom stalls or wear wispy hipster scarfs in the summer.

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
IIRC hab's spitty was a V1. Not sure how the v2 differs offhand.

I'm about kazlxs size (about 6' 1/2") and ride a large. I'm happy with it, but I do tend to like my bikes a little on the small side. Would be curious to try the xl just for comparison.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Hai guys, Kevin Woo here - just checking in under jackys account to show off my latest bike bestie

Playful, climbs like a goat, and just monster trucks boulder fields and even those shitty plastic speed bumps in mall parking lots.

Anyhoo, I think this bike proves that in no way do I tap my foot in airport bathroom stalls or wear wispy hipster scarfs in the summer.
yeah but does it corner on rails or pedal like a hardtail?