Quantcast

Split Pivot existence?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
This patent doesn't seem to actually cover the "concentric pivot" it really just covers the specific arrangement of linkages while using a concentric pivot... moreover all the Split Pivot designs we've seen so far aren't even covered under this patent as I understand it... I wonder if Spooky and Devinci are aware of this? Seems more like marketing BS to me... first post = FLAME ON :eek:.

http://split-pivot.com/Weagle Split Pivot Patent 7717212.pdf
this is the first time you've tried to read a patent, isn't it?

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
My guess is DW was awarded the patent but trek was awarded a non-compete clause...ie DW can license, trek can still build it but not license it to others. That's entirely based on trek rolling out its 2011 bikes and the expectation that they will sell them and not simply roll them back under the table, while DW clearly has a/the patent in place.
thats not really what a non compete clause is.
and the rumor has it that they licensed it to Trek and Trek pays for every bike they sell that uses split pivot/"abp"

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Not at all... :weee:
well keep trying, you'll get it right eventually. :rofl:

Sorry, just had to bust chops some (I've been buried in patent legalese lately).

You are right... sorta... it doesn't directly cover the use of a cocentric pivot at the axis of rotation of the rear wheel. However, the use of said configuration is fundamental to the other claims in the patent.

Vrock

Linkage Design Blog
Aug 13, 2005
Spain
I think that the US Pattent Office is so lame, that even if DW gets their Pattent, Trek can get it too. It has happened before: FSR-ICT, DWL-Maestro....

big-ted

Danced with A, attacked by C, fired by D.
Sep 27, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I think that the US Pattent Office is so lame, that even if DW gets their Pattent, Trek can get it too. It has happened before: FSR-ICT, DWL-Maestro....
I dunno, one might say the opposite. If two people simultaneously develop the same technology independently, it seems unfair to say to one party they can't use it as they were beaten to the punch. In my opinion, the object of patents is to stop people from seeing your ideas, then copying them and profiting for themselves without having the same R and D costs you incurred. I think allowing one party to simply use the technology, whilst the "first to the punch" get to not only use it, but license it to others is a pretty good compromise.

'size

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2007
AZ
was it a rumor that weagle was actually visiting at trek while they were developing abp during the same time he was developing split pivot, noticed it and mentioned (or not) that he was working on the same thing? i read that somewhere but never knew if it was fact or awesome inter'lore.

bradflyn

Chimp
Oct 27, 2008
Washington
here's your problem, this on the fist page of the DW patent.
http://mombat.org/Crestone.htm

I guess this is why the patent doesn't actually cover the concentric pivot... Crestone did it in 1994!

http://mombat.org/94Crestone2.jpg
Wow, 1994. That's pretty cool also. It seems till Dave and Trek got busy everyone one else forgot or didn't see the ultimate function available from this arrangement that now seems obvious.

Good people out there keep thinking how to make old new with more modern parts available to achieve better performance.

fluider

Monkey
Jun 25, 2008
Bratislava, Slovakia
There is no way it isn't DW's SplitPivot, despite having different name. Although he might not be willing to describe licensing details and his own intentions (as usually :) ), there's no way some Bergamont would ripped SplitPivot that already is patented all over the world.

fluider

Monkey
Jun 25, 2008
Bratislava, Slovakia
DW himself mentioned that patents have been applied in EU, too. Also SplitPivot website mentions patents in US and Worldwide.
However, there is one thing I noticed only now. Those Bergamont bikes have lateraly symetrical arms arangement. BrakeLink|Swingarm ----- Swingarm|BrakeLink. Just like Trek ABP. SplitPivot is asymetrical.