Quantcast

Spoted! NEW 2011 demo 8 in Portugal

JCL

Monkey
Aug 31, 2008
Yep, looks just like the proto I saw them testing around here a few months ago. Lets hope the leverage curve is different!
I hope it's the same as the current bike. It has the most perfect sensitive to absolute smasher feel leverage rate of any bike on the market IMO.

The bike looks great but I'm a little concerned when I see stanchions dropped all the way through the crowns. Hopefully it'll be exactly the same geo as the current bike. - about 63 deg actual head angle.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
Umm, so sorry. It looks like Sam Hill, Brendan, Curtis Keene, etc had a little more weight w/ their opinion than you bouncing around at the top of Tunnel trail. :thumb:
HOW DARE YOU! (it was the bottom in the parking lot fyi). Besides, it always the marketing department who makes the final desicions in the end. For whatever reason really rampy bikes are the new fad or something.

I hope it's the same as the current bike. It has the most perfect sensitive to absolute smasher feel leverage rate of any bike on the market IMO.

The bike looks great but I'm a little concerned when I see stanchions dropped all the way through the crowns. Hopefully it'll be exactly the same geo as the current bike. - about 63 deg actual head angle.
Ya I really like the current setup. Let's hope they continue to know what they're doing and not just changing stuff to change stuff like so many others these days.

Last edited:

yd35

Monkey
Oct 28, 2008
NY
ball park price speculation?
I rampantly speculate that the price will increase. I think Specialized is hyping this new frame up and creating some excitement in order to soften people up for the price raise.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
So I'm surprised that in this entire thread no one spotted the new Spesh rubber that Keene was rocking on his proto rig...

It's a new spike tire called the "Hillbilly" and Sammy was running them on the Giant Slalom at the Open. Transcend had the other new tire the "Butcher" on his 225 proto and I must say - judging by the rubber compound (even if it is not finalized) it seems Spesh might be onto something here... pretty stoked to see how they perform in the hands of the masses. Might be something that gives Maxxis a run for its money. Large volume tires (compared to a Maxxis 2.5") with low RR that hook up like Cameron Diaz after 7 tequila shots sounds rad to me. :D

BmxConvert

Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Longview, Washington
I know it will have some advantages over the current demo but it simply looks like an sx trail a fat man sat on. Not my cup of tea. The stealth black and funky polish national color scheme dont work for me either.

Prefer the look of the team 2010 demo .
I agree. The ultralow stand over puts me off as well. I also didn't like the looks of the likely limiting rear shock mount. However, I didn't have the information at the time that there would be other options. I'm still very happy with my 2010 Demo 8 II. I will not be changing it out any time soon.

I rampantly speculate that the price will increase. I think Specialized is hyping this new frame up and creating some excitement in order to soften people up for the price raise.
I believe that many parts of the world are seeing 8-10% price increases on 2011 Specialized bikes. I know we've seen some price changes in the lower range.

Last edited:

quickneonrt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Staten Island NY
There has also been a price drop on the lower.end bikes. Obviously on this there will be an increase. I remember when the Demo 9 frame came out it was an absurd price at the time.

Santa Maria

Monkey
Aug 29, 2007
Austria
That's the first Bike of the Big S since quite some time that attracts me.

Hopefully the frame only color will be different than the one shown in this thread. The black grey version of the monster boys looks way better!

Only downside IMO is that the frame will come with the Fox RC4 and a shock change will be costly due to this shock extension thing...

Pslide

Turbo Monkey
So I'm surprised that in this entire thread no one spotted the new Spesh rubber that Keene was rocking on his proto rig...

It's a new spike tire called the "Hillbilly" and Sammy was running them on the Giant Slalom at the Open. Transcend had the other new tire the "Butcher" on his 225 proto and I must say - judging by the rubber compound (even if it is not finalized) it seems Spesh might be onto something here... pretty stoked to see how they perform in the hands of the masses. Might be something that gives Maxxis a run for its money. Large volume tires (compared to a Maxxis 2.5") with low RR that hook up like Cameron Diaz after 7 tequila shots sounds rad to me. :D
I did see that in the Pinkbike pictures. Looks like a slightly wider cut spike, with similar blocks to a Muddy Mary. In other words, close to perfect!

zdubyadubya

Turbo Monkey
Apr 13, 2008
Ellicott City, MD

running their current "clutch, chunder, and storm" tires and absolutely loving them. looking forward to the new stuff with great anticipation. also, i know that nobody does, but if you are paying retail, specialized tires are about $10-15 cheaper than maxxis

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
FSR works more effectively than a single pivot over a wider range of gears. You won't be able to tell any difference in pedalling or plushness from 34 to 38.

The Monster team never runs bigger than 36. I guess that means you are faster than them ::):

Check our website for 2010 geo - pretty much the same.

JC
You callin' me a liar?:rant:

hah hah. It's all good. I know the team turns a 36 tooth, but just figured the West Coast influence would have you guys putting a 38 on it with the bigger mountains.

I thought it was a legitamite question since the bike lengths are laid out for bigger, faster mountains. The Demo is a really long bike for this area. Come ride some NC gravity and you'll see what I mean. Tight stuff and tons of it.

Feel free to bring a test bike for me to sample. :D

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
The hillbilly is a dry spike developed with the race team. It has cut lines to ramp the center spikes, has a different profile and different stiffness in different areas (can't remember exactly what). I was told "we'll be running these pretty much everywhere they don't need the storm."

Pslide

Turbo Monkey
The hillbilly is a dry spike developed with the race team. It has cut lines to ramp the center spikes, has a different profile and different stiffness in different areas (can't remember exactly what). I was told "we'll be running these pretty much everywhere they don't need the storm."
Good info. "Dry spike" could be the next trend in tires eh? WC pros have been cutting spikes for intermediate conditions for the past few years and it's finally filtered into a production product.

Should be good for everything but hardpack. Not sure about rock? Overall similar to Muddy Mary.

EDIT: Sicklines has pics and specs http://www.sicklines.com/2010/07/01/2011-specialized-hillbilly-tire-and-butcher-tire/#more-9227

They are saying it's good for hardpack and rock, so we'll see...can't wait to try a set.

Last edited:

JCL

Monkey
Aug 31, 2008
You callin' me a liar?:rant:

hah hah. It's all good. I know the team turns a 36 tooth, but just figured the West Coast influence would have you guys putting a 38 on it with the bigger mountains.

I thought it was a legitamite question since the bike lengths are laid out for bigger, faster mountains. The Demo is a really long bike for this area. Come ride some NC gravity and you'll see what I mean. Tight stuff and tons of it.

Feel free to bring a test bike for me to sample. :D
So you ride tight stuff and you want a 38T :confused:

Check these vids of Brendan riding one of the steepest race courses in the UK. He seems to get on just fine with the long front centre :thumb: http://dirt.mpora.com/news/mtbcut-halo-bds-3-llangollen.html

Santa Maria

Monkey
Aug 29, 2007
Austria

Check these vids of Brendan riding one of the steepest race courses in the UK. He seems to get on just fine with the long front centre :thumb: http://dirt.mpora.com/news/mtbcut-halo-bds-3-llangollen.html
If Brendog likes the long front center everybody should like it - assuming you have his abilities:rolleyes:

The setup of one of the best racers out there is not a benchmark for all us average riders.....

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering

Just trying to express that where we ride is tight and narrow for the most part and that I have managed to spin out a 36 from time to time. Didn't say I run out of gears all day every day. Jason answered my question perfectly.

Where do you ride? Because where we ride is practically a jungle.:D

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
True true, in fairness, they as much as say that at the beginning of the article. Cool to see some good pictures of the bike, was interested to read that the bike tends to ride more "stuck to the ground." Time and unbiased testers will tell. Either way, it's a pretty bike that has incorporated some much-asked-for features. I'd love to throw a leg over it.

JCL

Monkey
Aug 31, 2008
If Brendog likes the long front center everybody should like it - assuming you have his abilities:rolleyes:

The setup of one of the best racers out there is not a benchmark for all us average riders.....
Actually I've kept up with Brendan down one of the steepest trials in Whistler. For about 20 meters :D

I personally love the long front centre and the only thing that I think average riders would struggle with is the low BB IMO.

JCL

Monkey
Aug 31, 2008
when i think if "sexy" or "beautiful" welds, i dont think of mass produced bikes.
i think Foes, FTW's purty welds, Intense....
I agree. I think welds have got progressively worse on the mass produced bikes in recent years. I guess cuts have to be made somewhere to recover the costs of all the hydroforming and complex forgings on frames these days.

numerik

Monkey
Jul 22, 2005
Slovenia, Europe
I agree. I think welds have got progressively worse on the mass produced bikes in recent years. I guess cuts have to be made somewhere to recover the costs of all the hydroforming and complex forgings on frames these days.
But mass produced bikes don't crack, some of the above mentioned bikes do.