Quantcast

SRAM X01 vs. ??

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Let you tell me.

I've been having never ending issues with my drive train. I was running 10-speed for about a year and popped four chains in that time period. All of them failed when the outer links peeled off the pin.

I have since switched back to 9-speed and have not had any issues with the chain breaking. However, now whenever I put on heavy torque in 3-5 (from the top) the chain jumps up and down, with no consistency. Standing and pedaling uphill is pretty much a non-starter. The chain is new and the cassette has ~300 non-muddy miles on it, so that shouldn't be a source if issues. The derailleur itself is adjust properly. I have no over-shift issues at the top or bottom, and the spacing is all correct. You would think that some of this is tracking back to my e.13 DRS, but I took the lower roller off earlier this week, and the jumping actually got worse.

With all of this, I am pretty much ready to make things simpler. I still need gear range, because the Front Range only goes straight up, so 1x11 makes sense, unless anybody has a better suggestion...

Nick suggested a RaceFace 1x10 with their wide-narrow ring combined with a custom large range cassette. I have never heard of that, and he said that he was unfamiliar with the details. If anybody knows about that setup, please lay it out.

As for the SRAM X01, it's a solid 3.5# lighter than my current setup, so that's pretty nice. I'm still trying to get some clarity on the actual price, which is partly why I am interested in the RaceFace option.

Has anybody used X01 and/or the RaceFace solution? Any information on cross-compatibility between the RaceFace solution and existing components?

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
The idea behind the RF chainring is that you have alternating narrow and wide teeth to match the alternating plates of the chain, to help with chain retention. I have no experience with X01 but can attest that they work brilliantly on a 10s setup.

Front derailleurs are the work of satan. If you really think you need the range of X01 I would encourage it but I bet you can get away with something like a 32t and an 11-36 cassette. You can also get bigger cogs to swap onto a 10s to up the range but I haven't used that.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
The idea behind the RF chainring is that you have alternating narrow and wide teeth to match the alternating plates of the chain, to help with chain retention. I have no experience with X01 but can attest that they work brilliantly on a 10s setup.

Front derailleurs are the work of satan. If you really think you need the range of X01 I would encourage it but I bet you can get away with something like a 32t and an 11-36 cassette. You can also get bigger cogs to swap onto a 10s to up the range but I haven't used that.
How well does it hold in DH-type applications? Would you suggest keeping a guide of some form on?

As for the gear ratio, I'm hurting in with a 22/36. A custom cassette to get up to 40th would be necessary with a 30th up front.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I've ridden it with an XCX on a 6" bike on some trails that a DH bike wouldn't be out of place on, and it was fine. I know some people have gotten away with no guide at all, but I haven't tried that. Especially if this is going to be your only bike I'd still run top guide at least.

Fair enough. I don't have front range size climbs to contend with, and I've always been a stand and mash type anyway.

Demomonkey

Monkey
Apr 27, 2005
Auckland New Zealand

I have got the Sram XO 10 speed cassette mated with a X9 Type 2 rear mech and the Race Face NW chainring. I have a 32T up front and 36T on the rear. Its set up on a NomadC and I use it for trail riding with some jumps and rough stuff thrown in for good measure.

I have never run out of gears on steep climbs.

I have never lost a chain.

Set and forget. Its a great combo.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
RF makes a 28t ring.
That paired with a standard 11-36t rear should be low enough?

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
stop being a b*tch and lose those last 20lbs and you won't need it
Have you ridden the Front Range before? A given trail will be ~1700 feet in < 2 miles. Isht is brutal.

That being said, I hit 230lbs yesterday. That's a proper 20lbs in 5 weeks. I'm just shy of my initial goal of 225lbs.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
watch the video later, it's effin funny. the guy speaks german but it's subbed and the language is pretty NSFW. but oh my that's how i now picture you on climbs :rofl:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Is your derailleur aligned? I had a problem with hi torque ghost shifting when my derailleur was crooked. Now I don't. Same components.

As for new **** for the sake of new ****, there are 12-36 cassettes now. I'd much rather sacrifice a little at the high end for more bail out capability. I'm looking into a 1x9 or 10 on a new hardtail, and since they both go to 36, I'd rather have the fatter spacing of the nine, and throw on a clutch derailleur with big-ted's magic block of wonder.

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
I'll never claim that I've ridden everywhere but I have yet to come across a climb that I couldn't muscle up with a 32t front ring and a 36 rear. My last bike was a few pounds lighter and I had a 33t front and 34 cog. I've done a couple climbs in pisgah with this gearing that were 1200-1600 feet. Although you do have about 60-70 lbs on me...

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Sounds like you need to learn how to adjust derailleurs.
I know how to adjust derailluers. It's just this bike, and just those cogs. All of my other bikes shift perfectly.

Is your derailleur aligned? I had a problem with hi torque ghost shifting when my derailleur was crooked. Now I don't. Same components.
I'll check on the derailuer again, as it is pretty old. It might just be a play issue.

weedkilla

Monkey
Jul 6, 2008
I bought these (link at the bottom), took a couple of weeks to arrive. They will go on the bike on the weekend.
I'm still waiting for works components to release their sram spiderless big and little chanring, so I use a top guide and a clutch derailleur. Its ok, but its a bb mount so when you jam the chain it spins the guide... I will run a top guide even when I get a fancy new chainring.

http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/mop18795/m.html?item=271250543585&ViewItem=&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
To clarify, I think there is something wrong with your setup causing your chains to separate. Lots of people ride 10-sp and don't break chains. I'd think an 11-sp chain has to be more fragile.

Are you still using that rear derailleur held together with a zip tie??

That Gen Lee cassette looks great, and is less expensive than the 11sp cassettes.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
To clarify, I think there is something wrong with your setup causing your chains to separate. Lots of people ride 10-sp and don't break chains. I'd think an 11-sp chain has to be more fragile.
Let's try to get together at some point when we have time to dig into it.

Are you still using that rear derailleur held together with a zip tie??
That's the 10sp setup on the beater now.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Just did a bit of tinkering over lunch. Not sure how much it will help, but it feels a touch better. I did notice that the derailuer does have a bit of tweak though. That could be a source.

Polandspring88

Superman
Mar 31, 2004
Broomfield, CO
Have you checked the alignment of the derailleur hanger? I've had the hanger be slightly bent which made the derailleur appear to be tweaked. Just changed out the hanger on y bike tonight because of similar issues and viola, perfect shifting again.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
It's better, but still hopped a bit. I was at least able to hammer most of the ride in my 22/30, although I did have to pop I to the 22/34 for a few really steep sections. It was pretty much the steepest of the Front Range trails, so I think I can get away with a 30/40.

Now to price the switch to the Race Face 10speed setup.