Quantcast

Sram xo 2011

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
id love to try a 10speed on my DH bike. i use my DH bikes for light XC rides and for just riding around. i think the chainline might be a little (or alot) off, but i use most of my 11-34 cassette now
I need to start riding street on my DH bike again. That stuff is ****ing awesome. Bike Riding is pretty awesome, actually.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
God this thread makes me laugh.

Ok first off, this particular group was NEVER intended for DH use. Its intended for XC use, the whole idea is to eliminate the small ring in the front. I was able to demo a set last summer and I was sceptical at first, but damn, it really made for a great feeling on a climbing bike. Less shifting on the front was actually quite nice, plenty of power to get up hills ETC

10 sp for DH..... we did it when ten speed first came out just to show it would work, and that it would work just fine... Ult Flatbar shifter, Ult cassette, dereailluer and chain.....We did it on a Demo8, shifted fine, lasted fine, trust me the kid riding it was abusive to it too.... He ran it till he killed it, and without maitaining, a full season is pretty damn good IMO.

Fact, its hear because the XC world in leaps and bounds larger than DH, and this is what teh xc customer base is asking for. Sram and Shimano both would be retarded not to be listening to were the money is.

Fact, Nine speed isnt going away, too many still like nine speed. It still works for alot of guys, its still very available, we still order nine speed hi end stuff to keep instock.

Another fact, you wont see 5 and 6 speed make a comback from Sram or Shimano, there just isnt a money making niche for it for these two big companies. If you want less, Mod a nine speed, space it were you want it... just use what you want.... For the guys that want five and six speed.....Do you think it will be cheaper if they made hi end cassettes for you? In fact it will probably be more seeing they will be making a product they have to stand behind that is working on what is primarily a nine speed hub....

Think about it, everyone want 5/6 speeds for DH... that means different hubs, different cassettes, different shifters..... Ok shifters and cassettes not too much of a biggie, but who is going to be making these hubs that everyone wants? Unless I am wrong in remember that half the arguement for 5/6 speed was the hub itself, and the fact there is less dish to it.... But hey what do I know

You guys dont like this..... wait for three or four years when we have electronic 11sp listed for xc use..... someone will post it here.... and everyone will bitch why we dont need that for DH.

Nine speed is fine for DH, if you dont want an 11/32.... fine run something else, there is more available than that. run what you want, there is plenty of selection out there.

This really is a good thing for xc, its a nice gearing combination for climbers. I do belive Sram has something in the works for a DH derailluer system, I do belive they have to have something to compete with the new Saint, we will see what it is soon enough.

As of the current time, the Saint rear derailluer seems to be the top dog for DH use. Tighter spring, snappy shifting, less chain slap, tucks up underneath the cassette instead of sticking off the bike...... I have no doubts those are all attributes Sram will be having when they do release there gravity setup......eventually.

Oh, and for all talking about cable stretch....... something that is happening ALOT more than cable strecth...... the housing is settling... that is why you still get it with prestretched cables...Just food for thought

Last edited:

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Oh forgot something I saw in here..... the "Need" for new cassettes every year? My cassette is five years old now, still shifts flawlessly, no overwear nothing......... Its all about checkign chain stretch in multiple locations, looking for damaged areas on the chain...... Although I will concede I myself went through over half a dozen derailluers last season taht were lost to rocks. The Saint I have now, just isnt getting hit like the Srams were, and the times it does take a hit, it doesnt phase it.

For the record, I go through about a half dozen chains in a year on the DH bike, probably half of them due o stretch, the other half due to some type of damage Im just not willing to risk on a ride for I really hate breaking chains while riding. Chains are cheaper than cassette's, run the hi end cassettes, use cheaper chains if you must, but replace chains, you wont have to replace cassettes.