Quantcast

Staccato 8

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Others would see the glass as just too damned big, or that it was filled with something like Coors.

I'm in a unique position to complain about flats since I would rather go down on Oprah than ride flat pedals on a mountain bike ever again. Still think they look cheesy.

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
Hardly. We were entertaining ourselves by guessing what all the complaints would be. or, more to the point, we were making fun of all the know-it-alls and keyboard product testers on the internet.

good to see they haven't let us down.
So you guys sat around and mocked your customers?

And now your posting that fact... :huh:

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
So you guys sat around and mocked your customers?

And now your posting that fact... :huh:
when did i start working for e13? last i checked (this morning) i was a teacher.

and nowhere does 'we' refer to anyone in particular, in fact it could be anyone. so please explain how 'we were sitting around the e13 pit' suddenly translates into 'all of us who work for e13?'

:crazy:

but just to clarify we sat around and mocked the internet test ride experts who can figure out every flaw and ride characteristic from a photo posted on a forum.

Last edited:

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
i heard they were 17mm thin (not thick). No, that's a lie i read it on the banner with the exploded diagram and all the specs. speaking of the banner why hasn't someone posted that yet, it should be good for at least another 4 pages of useless e-speculation.:biggrin:

chriscarleton

Monkey
Aug 4, 2007
Portland Maine
i heard they were 17mm thin (not thick). No, that's a lie i read it on the banner with the exploded diagram and all the specs. speaking of the banner why hasn't someone posted that yet, it should be good for at least another 4 pages of useless e-speculation.:biggrin:
no fvcking sh~t. Someone post the fvcking thing.

also someone make it so I can swear on here.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
But more to the point.....
When has e.13 ever put out something that sucks? I don't mean isn't the best, I mean SUCKS......
e.13 boxxer stems sucked arse. I've seen two break and seriously - who breaks a stem? Plus the finish was woefull.

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
usually products are designed to be ridden not crashed.....
True, but still, who the hell breaks a stem? It's... a stem. Integrated stems are more prone to causing or being damaged in the first place (since they can't slip like a conventional one), but still I haven't seen any Funn or Sunline or anything else integrated stems die before the parts they're attached to (bars and forks).

I think MOST of the stuff E13 has put out has been pretty good. The stem wasn't one of those things however.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
He doesn't break a stem at all. I was standing literally 6" from him when he crashed. I moved his bike off the course. All 4 ti bolts (not supplied by e13) broke. Not the stem. Not the crown.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
how'd they break? usually products are designed to be ridden not crashed.....
One guy hit the end of his bar on a tree so yeah probably fair call there. But the other guy snapped one side of the stem landing a drop into braking bumps.

Stems shouldn't break anyway. I can't remember the last time I've seen another stem break.

Jun 20, 2007
Keep this thread going! It's full of e-speculation and e-fighting, I love it.

On a side note, Joe-why weren't you this funny when you were on bustedspoke?

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
WOW!

What is with all the angry people?! Seriously, the stress level is way too high in here. There is no reason to get this stressed out over a bike part!

That being said, I think that some people are totally missing the point of the pedal design. The design is intended to:

1) let riders dial in their pedals to meet their personal needs as a rider
2) be very, very tough, able to deflect major impacts without breaking
3) be very lightweight (the heaviest version is close to 160g less than some popular pedals) (that's a lot)
4) be completely serviceable by the user. replacement platforms and guts will be VERY affordable.

The ability to change colors is a convenient byproduct of the design, but in no way was it an intent of the design. It just happens to be a cool addition.

These are PROTOTYPES. They will change, I guarantee that. I've read some of the comments as I skimmed this thread, I think that some of your questions will be answered in an interview that we did about the pedals recently. I'll let that get posted on its own.

Thanks for all the comments from the people who are willing to look at the pedals for what they are. Sorry to let down all you angry folks. We will try harder next time.

Dave

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
One guy hit the end of his bar on a tree so yeah probably fair call there. But the other guy snapped one side of the stem landing a drop into braking bumps.

Stems shouldn't break anyway. I can't remember the last time I've seen another stem break.
FYI Toodles, there has NEVER been an e.thirteen stem broken that I have seen. I called the e.thirteen office just now, and personally asked Jonas and Michael to verify that. It has not happened, or at least nobody has sent us any evidence that it has. Feel free to send anything you have directly to e.thirteen. As you know we love to support our customers.

I saw a kid at the US Open who for some insane reason decided to use ti bolts to hold on his stem and broke them off when he crashed, but e.thirteen can't control that, this was his decision to buy and use them, and one that we never would have supported.

Furthermore, lab testing shows that there is no stem on the market that is as strong as, or has as high of a stiffness to weight, or strength to weight ratio as the ALI stem.

Lab testing aside, Nathan Rennie rode the stem for one full year, the same stem, all world cups, his total off season, everything on the same stem. There was no issue. Actually I have the stem right here. If you are putting down more power and abuse than Nathan Rennine, damn, I don't know what to say. .

Just wanted to set the record straight.

Dave

Last edited:

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
BUT routine greasing is what prolongs the wear of the bushings......hence why they should have a grease port on the body of the pedal into the spindle housing, and why I'm asking (can't see one in the pics). If not, you would have to remove the spindle assy to lube the bushings......something I wouldn't want to do after every ride.

Hopefully DW or one of the e13 guys can chime in.

To dogboy - every pedal I have taken apart has used bearings. Haven't had to rip a pedal apart in 3-4 years......but last I did they all used sealed and shielded ball bearings. How do all these bushing equipped pedals hold up as far as play/free spin?
Hey Joe,

I read that you are an engineer. As such, I'm sure you are aware of the fine line of products available from IGUS. They make some of the world's best bushings. They have bushings designed to work with or without lubrication. You can read about them at www.igus.com. When I worked for the department of defense we used IGUS bushings for a great deal of tactical equipment. Suffice to say, if they are reliable enough to protect our troops in battle, I think that they are going to be plenty reliable enough for your bicycle pedal. You just need an engineer with a clue on how to design with them to make them work. I happen to be that guy.

Thanks for all the support

Dave

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Hey Joe,

I read that you are an engineer. As such, I'm sure you are aware of the fine line of products available from IGUS. They make some of the world's best bushings. They have bushings designed to work with or without lubrication. You can read about them at www.igus.com. When I worked for the department of defense we used IGUS bushings for a great deal of tactical equipment. Suffice to say, if they are reliable enough to protect our troops in battle, I think that they are going to be plenty reliable enough for your bicycle pedal. You just need an engineer with a clue on how to design with them to make them work. I happen to be that guy.

Thanks for all the support

Dave
We use a lot of IGUS stuff at my work as well.....the thing I'm curious about is how well it handles both rotational loads (pedaling) and unidirectional loading (landing a drop for example) over a long(er) period of time, hence my asking about how you went about using them. Also, how well will these pedals isolate the spindle assy from contamination? That has a big role in how well bushings/bearings hold up and perform. Whenever I took pedals apart, I was amazed at how crapily they were sealed (even "sealed" pedals).

I'm sure you know what you're doing (obviously), I'm just a bit annoyed at how the focus of this thread has been more about what color plates you can get or how hard it will be to clean, rather than how the actual guts of the pedal were designed. Sadly it made me come across as an asshole.

Last edited:

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
I was curious about bushings in pedals as well so I had a talk with Greg at Straitline. The pedals they make use bushings, but I'm not sure if they are IGUS or not.

I do know that after riding these pedals for over a year (hitting rocks, roots, trees...) I haven't had any problems - only had to take em' apart to lube them once, and its so insanely simple to do it makes maintainence a breeze. Tear-down, lube and rebuild took about 5 min. for both pedals.

So - I'm sold on the use of bushings.

:biggrin:

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
We use a lot of IGUS stuff at my work as well.....the thing I'm curious about is how well it handles both rotational loads (pedaling) and unidirectional loading (landing a drop for example) over a long(er) period of time, hence my asking about how you went about using them. Also, how well will these pedals isolate the spindle assy from contamination? That has a big role in how well bushings/bearings hold up and perform. Whenever I took pedals apart, I was amazed at how crapily they were sealed (even "sealed" pedals).

I'm sure you know what you're doing (obviously), I'm just a bit annoyed at how the focus of this thread has been more about what color plates you can get or how hard it will be to clean, rather than how the actual guts of the pedal were designed. Sadly it made me come across as an asshole.
I sized each bushing specifically for the load, service factor, and obviously the environment. There are 3 bushings, two of which are custom designed by us, and manufactured by IGUS specifically for our application. There is only one opening for dirt to get into the pedal, where the spindle comes into the body near the spindle threads. As you have probably seen, many pedals use either no sealing at all, or a poorly designed o-ring or V-ring seal. All are pretty much useless in my opinion. I happen to have some experience in this area, so I designed and sourced a custom exclusion type seal (like a CR-HMS type). It was expensive and difficult, but they are incredibly effective. We have the option of running 2 in tandem, but so far one is able to keep water from a pressure washer out. We'll learn more as we test, but this design has been tested for a long time now so we are really confident in it. More to come in that interview I was talking about. It should be up in a day or two I guess.

Dave

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
I sized each bushing specifically for the load, service factor, and obviously the environment. There are 3 bushings, two of which are custom designed by us, and manufactured by IGUS specifically for our application. There is only one opening for dirt to get into the pedal, where the spindle comes into the body near the spindle threads. As you have probably seen, many pedals use either no sealing at all, or a poorly designed o-ring or V-ring seal. All are pretty much useless in my opinion. I happen to have some experience in this area, so I designed and sourced a custom exclusion type seal (like a CR-HMS type). It was expensive and difficult, but they are incredibly effective. We have the option of running 2 in tandem, but so far one is able to keep water from a pressure washer out. We'll learn more as we test, but this design has been tested for a long time now so we are really confident in it. More to come in that interview I was talking about. It should be up in a day or two I guess.

Dave

THANK YOU

I knew there was a lot more to this pedal than just plastic plates, and it seemed like I was one of the few people that even cared to find out. Thanks for answering all my questions, sounds like you really did a lot of work with it, and I now see how it works.

manwithgun

Monkey
Nov 4, 2004
Get Sammy to ride them and I'm in...... even if I have to sell my bicycle to afford them.

Edit: On a constructive note, I'm all for the "less wide", shorter spindle designs for use on lower bikes. And the nice lower leading edge design without a traction pin for deflection. Looking forward to seeing these in person.

Last edited:

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
I saw a kid at the US Open who for some insane reason decided to use ti bolts to hold on his stem and broke them off when he crashed, but e.thirteen can't control that, this was his decision to buy and use them, and one that we never would have supported.
oops. so you're saying m6 (stem to crown) ti bolts are dodgy in this app? i held off on replacing the wee m5 bar clamp bolts, but thought the stem to crown guys would be burly enough. am i endangering myself? been running them for a couple years so far...

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
oops. so you're saying m6 (stem to crown) ti bolts are dodgy in this app? i held off on replacing the wee m5 bar clamp bolts, but thought the stem to crown guys would be burly enough. am i endangering myself? been running them for a couple years so far...
Titanium bolts are notch sensitive, so I only use them in noncritical applications. Anywhere where your safety is directly at risk in the event of a failure is what I deem "critical". In those applications I only use and spec high tensile steel bolts with rolled threads. Of course, people do and use all kinds of stupid and expensive things in the name of less weight, its just a gamble. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose.. I don't like to lose.

Dave

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
can you give us dimensions of the pedal?
Sure, the platform is 109X99. The outside of the axle is 17mm in diameter, the body is 14mm thick at its thinnest, and about 19.5 at its thickest. The dimensions are still being fine tuned based on pro rider feedback.

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
What's the pricepoint yo?

Even if it's just a ballpark......
I don't have anything exact, but they will DEFINITELY be competitive with other products on the market. We are not planning that the 8's will be a boutique level product.

Dave

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
Titanium bolts are notch sensitive, so I only use them in noncritical applications. Anywhere where your safety is directly at risk in the event of a failure is what I deem "critical". In those applications I only use and spec high tensile steel bolts with rolled threads. Of course, people do and use all kinds of stupid and expensive things in the name of less weight, its just a gamble. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose.. I don't like to lose.

Dave
but the ti bolts are shiny!

that makes me feel so much better. thanks.

DirtBag

Monkey
Feb 1, 2006
Wow. I too was wondering a bit on the construction, albeit not to the level of DHRFX Joe. Sounds like DW is laying some corrective smack-down information which is great. These pedals sound amazing.

I am big into pedals as I am VERY particular of the size and dimensions. I tried a million pedal and shoe combinations and ended up with Wellgo MG-1 as my final choice. These pedals hopefully will be an equivalent feel that has the added bonus of replaceable, serviceable parts.

Plus they come in white. What's better than that?

Apr 16, 2006
Golden, CO
Didn't atomlab already try the acrylic or polycarbonic setup with unsatisfactory results (i.e. snapping around axle)? The staccato 8 design could get away with this however due to the sandwhiching design around a structural member.

frorider

Monkey
Jul 21, 2004
cali

i've been running the wah wahs for several months now & really like the thin cross section and mild concavity. 480 g, $70. anyone else here using these? i prefer them to any other flats i've tried.

my riding rarely involves wet conditions. sounds like the DW seal offers an advantage there.