Quantcast

Starbucks closing stores!?

Broken_Spoke

Mr. Big Hot Pastrami
Feb 26, 2003
Bozeman, MT
We have a Starbuck's on the local Barnes & Noble. I have never sipped their swill, but when I go into the B&N to read some books I often sit close to the Starbuck's so I can watch the pretty ladies order coffee.

MountainDrew

Monkey
Aug 15, 2007
is owning a Starbucks the same as owning a DD. i was told that to be a DD owner you have to open a second location within 5 yrs of opening the first. so does SB make their owners do the same? that could explain why there are so many that close to one another.
I believe with Starbucks, you had to open another one every month, within one square mile of the original Starbucks.

Opening a Starbucks in the bathroom of another Starbucks does not count.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
I never get up in time for coffee.
Now if only I could have a couple more dive bars in the area.

Though I do like Chick Latte when its too early for a strip club and I need some go-go.
"Each barista is hand-picked for their people skills, attention to detail and ability to satisfy the varied needs of our customers. They are then given extensive training in making the very best drinks"

Where is the nearest one??? Gottagottagotta go!

?????

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
San Francisco
I digress... Starbucks White Mocha's are great, and since they have some calculated machine make them, they always taste the same.

I just wish they would stay open until 2am or so when I really need coffee.

drkenan

anti-dentite
Oct 1, 2006
west asheville
is owning a Starbucks the same as owning a DD. i was told that to be a DD owner you have to open a second location within 5 yrs of opening the first. so does SB make their owners do the same? that could explain why there are so many that close to one another.
FYI - the majority of Starbucks are company owned. They don't franchise but they will license to certain companies (Intrawest comes to mind - I've visited their Snowshoe location several times). That's why you see them in B&N or your local chain grocery stores.

I'd bet if they franchised there would actually be less of them due to territorial restrictions.

DD on the other hand is currently rated one of the top franchises. Several opened here in the past few years and they're doing extremely well.

?????

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
San Francisco
Jesus man - why not just order a f*#king fruit drink??? :bonk:
The milk cancels out the staining of the coffee? ...probably not, but it sure tastes good.

Everyone always brings up Dunkin Donuts when talking about Starbucks... do they actually make good coffee based drinks or do they just serve up the black cardboard?

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
The milk cancels out the staining of the coffee? ...probably not, but it sure tastes good.

Everyone always brings up Dunkin Donuts when talking about Starbucks... aside from not having a DD around here, do they actually make good coffee based drinks or do they just serve up the black cardboard?
I'm absolutely nuts about Dunkin Donuts coffee, though I understand some people think it's pretty low class.
Whatever.
I sometimes buy the stuff by the bag, but it's really pricey that way.

I don't know anything about their gay drinks though.

?????

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
San Francisco
I'm absolutely nuts about Dunkin Donuts coffee, though I understand some people think it's pretty low class.
Whatever.

Ah, well I don't know much about Dunkin Donuts. I saw one last week for the first time in as long as I can remember. I think it was in New York and of course there was a Cop pulling up.

Last edited:

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
Whatever.

Dunkies is better class swill, as in better than deli brown water or Sev's. The connoisseur's swill if you will. Like PBR perhaps.

You can pick up the 84 cup bags of DD coffee at BJ's for $14.99/bag.

Their foofie drinks are machine made and horrid. They do use sugar syrup vs crystals that don't dissolve in their iced coffee though.

-ska todd

?????

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
San Francisco
And they're only $1.85.

Admit it - you're just at Sbux to be seen. :monkey:
Unless the Jamocha shake actually has coffee in it, then the starbucks drink is different... plus if they make it with skim milk and no whip cream, it's far fewer fat and calories.

Typically though, I go to Cambridge Coffee when I'm at school because it's a minutes walk from my apartment and I get 20% off when I bring in my own cup. Basically it is a Starbucks type store though.

However, you do bring up a point. The girls working at the Starbucks are typically much more pleasing to the eyes and ears than the hood rats slumming it up at Arby's.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Unless the Jamocha shake actually has coffee in it, then the starbucks drink is different... plus if they make it with skim milk and no whip cream, it's far fewer fat and calories.
Who cares about fat and calories? :confused:

However, you do bring up a point. The girls working at the Starbucks are typically much more pleasing to the eyes and ears than the hood rats slumming it up at Arby's.
:rofl:

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Whatever.

My wife's from Rhode Island and is thus addicted to Dunkin Donuts. She can't eat donuts anymore (gluten issues) but we're still obligated to get the coffee whenever possible.

The sad thing is that it was the only thing she missed about the east coast while we were in Cali. (but we did have Peet's coffee to distract her...Peet's is the best coffee in the country IMHO...) Yet, during every stay on the east coast, often for months at a time, we end up living someplace where a Dunkin has recently departed the area and she can't get it easily. Now we're in a DC hotel that's only 8 blocks from one, so we get lots of morning walks in for Dunkin coffee.

We still buy Peet's beans instead of Dunkin, though. DD is good, but it's supposed to be cheap. I won't pay gourmet prices for the frikkin' beans so I can make it myself.

Lowlight7

Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Virginia, USA
We still buy Peet's beans instead of Dunkin, though. DD is good, but it's supposed to be cheap. I won't pay gourmet prices for the frikkin' beans so I can make it myself.
I've never understood why a bag of DD beans is the same god damned price as Starbucks beans.

Now if I could just get my wife to stop shelling out $9 a bag...

drkenan

anti-dentite
Oct 1, 2006
west asheville
DD's coffee will put hair on your chest. I really much prefer the creamy, lathered-down taste of the soy white chocolate mocha in my mouth.

:D
[JeremyR where are you?!?]

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
Dunkin Donuts is literally, plain and simple, pure-unadulterated evil.

It is a well documented fact that I hate Dunkin Donuts for their horrible coffee, but now i can hate them for just being plain evil.

https://www.dunkindonuts.com/aboutus/press/PressRelease.aspx?viewtype=current&id=100070
http://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php?title=Carlyle_Group

In March '06 Dunkin Donuts was purchased by the Carlyle Group, a retirement agency for ex presidents, Islamo-fascist dictators, Former British Prime Ministers, CEO's and members of the intelligence community. Carlyle is funded by the Saudis and exists to lubricate the backchannels of countries and corporations around the globe to enrich and exploit it's members, and the corporations that they own (mostly military).

Seeing as How Bush 1 is a senior partner at Carlye, and one of Bush 2's failed business ventures was funded by them you by default give money to the current president of the United States (by way of eventual inheritence from his super-duper rich father) whenever you consume D+D's excuse for food, or their poor, burnt, watered down coffee-abuse.

America runs on.... exploitation?

On the other hand, Starbucks is a publically traded American Corporation with an excellent human rights record, and they certainly don't have their own private army of mercanaries, or a direct line to the fascist douchebag Sarkozy!

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
eff you Mickey for spoiling my coffee with your do goodin politics! So maybe this is why my local DD ALWAYS has Fox News playing on their flat screen while I'm waiting on line. :rant: Maybe Carlyle's plan is to fuel our cars with coffee once the Saudi oil fields run dry. It won't be any cheaper than gas but will leave all of our cities with a rich, roasted smell.

-ska todd

knittingfiend

Monkey
Jun 13, 2008
A tick north of Seattle
Dunkin Donuts is literally, plain and simple, pure-unadulterated evil.

It is a well documented fact that I hate Dunkin Donuts for their horrible coffee, but now i can hate them for just being plain evil.

https://www.dunkindonuts.com/aboutus/press/PressRelease.aspx?viewtype=current&id=100070
http://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php?title=Carlyle_Group

In March '06 Dunkin Donuts was purchased by the Carlyle Group, a retirement agency for ex presidents, Islamo-fascist dictators, Former British Prime Ministers, CEO's and members of the intelligence community. Carlyle is funded by the Saudis and exists to lubricate the backchannels of countries and corporations around the globe to enrich and exploit it's members, and the corporations that they own (mostly military).

Seeing as How Bush 1 is a senior partner at Carlye, and one of Bush 2's failed business ventures was funded by them you by default give money to the current president of the United States (by way of eventual inheritence from his super-duper rich father) whenever you consume D+D's excuse for food, or their poor, burnt, watered down coffee-abuse.

America runs on.... exploitation?

On the other hand, Starbucks is a publically traded American Corporation with an excellent human rights record, and they certainly don't have their own private army of mercanaries, or a direct line to the fascist douchebag Sarkozy!

Yes, SB is a "homegrown" company.......but they go to extreme lengths to put the competition out of business. Like the little coffee shop in the PNW area that had a similar logo YEARS before SB moved into town, but once the big-wigs caught wind of it, went to great lengths to put the little guy out of bid'ness.... Or if SB moves into a neighborhood that already has a local shop, they will do what they can to overshadow the other shop.....
It's just coffee for christs' sake!