Quantcast

starting the search for a new xc bike

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Ok so I'm not very in touch with what goes on in the xc world (but I actually do a fair amount of XC riding), so I'm asking RM for some input. I'm looking for something somewhat specific, so I know my options will be a little limited. What I'm looking for:

-high grade steel frame
-US made (preferably a small craft company)
-hardtail would be preferable, but open to considering something short travel (3"-4") if I find something I like

I'm about 6'1", 190lbs. Looking for something with good geometry (what's good xc geometry?) I'm probably gonna measure my current frame (which is a fair amount too large for me) to try and get myself a ball park range of what I want (something with a shorter TT and WB than what I currently have). I'm definitely open to considering a custom built frame, so if anyone knows a reputable builder who's cool to deal with lemme know!

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
We've been building steel since I re-started the company. It's great for customs, and, well, some people want it. Steel is more expenisve, and about 3/4 of a pound heavier, and compared to our stock aluminum bikes, not as smooth riding. BUT!... There are tons and tons of tubes available to build customs with, and no need to drive down to boston to heattreat them...

If you give me a call I can talk you through getting something rocking, for sure...
In fact, I have a couple of Horror-Taxi frames nearly done at the moment...

Last edited:

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
This Voodoo Ti HT frame is on sale at Speedgoat until 12/17 for $1340, are they US made since they were reborn?

http://www.voodoocycles.net/08_djab.htm

http://www.speedgoat.com/product.asp?part=136332&cat=35&brand=1005
The New Voodoo is not the old Voodoo and those wouldn't be US Made - nope - nada - definitely overseas (Taiwan or China).

However Lynskey is building a bunch of Ti frames for other manufacturers like On One, Origin-8 etc. etc. if you wanted Ti

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
The New Voodoo is not the old Voodoo and those wouldn't be US Made - nope - nada - definitely overseas (Taiwan or China).

However Lynskey is building a bunch of Ti frames for other manufacturers like On One, Origin-8 etc. etc. if you wanted Ti
The nuts and bolts of VooDoo is going on in Taiwan where some of the best quality bicycles are made today. Keeping VooDoo rolling are Sandra the manager, Becky in the office and Jeson in the warehouse. And Shinji is still running the ASAP office in Japan.
http://www.voodoocycles.net/aboutus.htm

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Why a hardtail?
I started mountain biking on a steel hardtail. I love them. I've ridden a bunch of other ones and it make me want to keep riding them.

Also, full suspension is for downhilling. :D

j/p. I've ridden plenty of f/s xc bikes, and I think they're great. But to me there's just something super fun about riding rocky single track on a hardtail steel bike that will never get old for me. If I start racing XC it might be a different story....

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
We've been building steel since I re-started the company. It's great for customs, and, well, some people want it. Steel is more expenisve, and about 3/4 of a pound heavier, and compared to our stock aluminum bikes, not as smooth riding. BUT!... There are tons and tons of tubes available to build customs with, and no need to drive down to boston to heattreat them...

If you give me a call I can talk you through getting something rocking, for sure...
In fact, I have a couple of Horror-Taxi frames nearly done at the moment...
What happened to the Metal Head? I've been lusting after one for a while? No longer in production?

I started mountain biking on a steel hardtail. I love them. I've ridden a bunch of other ones and it make me want to keep riding them.

Also, full suspension is for downhilling. :D

j/p. I've ridden plenty of f/s xc bikes, and I think they're great. But to me there's just something super fun about riding rocky single track on a hardtail steel bike that will never get old for me. If I start racing XC it might be a different story....
pigboy and I ride together sometimes with a hardtail and a dualie - we trade off riding one or the other - they're both fun. My back has come to appreciate the dualie on long rides.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
What happened to the Metal Head? I've been lusting after one for a while? No longer in production?

More like we haven't started production on them yet. Both the Metalhead and the pitboss are sitting around fully modeled on computers, and heck, we've run about half of the CNC parts for them as well, but to put it bluntly, it's hard to convince most consumers of the value of a ~$800 slalom frame. I've kind of re-prioritized them behind working on the projects that can support that margin more easily.

We'll likely finish a small batch this winter, but the "hardcore" mtb market is so fundamentally unfufilling to work in. Too many kids who want to pay Taiwan or mainland China prices for stuff...

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
More like we haven't started production on them yet. Both the Metalhead and the pitboss are sitting around fully modeled on computers, and heck, we've run about half of the CNC parts for them as well, but to put it bluntly, it's hard to convince most consumers of the value of a ~$800 slalom frame. I've kind of re-prioritized them behind working on the projects that can support that margin more easily.

We'll likely finish a small batch this winter, but the "hardcore" mtb market is so fundamentally unfufilling to work in. Too many kids who want to pay Taiwan or mainland China prices for stuff...
Good to hear that they've not been canned. And I could probably swing 800ish for one in the spring. Excited.

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
so, why a hardtail? You can get so many different bikes wit 5 inches of travel that climb really well. Maybe not as fast as a hardtail, but a hell of a lot smoother. Plus hardtails are old skool. That's like driving a horse and carriage to work. Why punish yourself when there are so many better and more comfortable things out there. You could probably ride a full suspension bike longer just because it won't beat you up the whole time.

Get a hard tail if you just want to ride the sidewalks. Not too man bumps on them.

Full Suspension isn't just for downhill. If you don't ride up to go down, then something is wrong. Either your trails are really boring, or you need some help in the downhill.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
so, why a hardtail? You can get so many different bikes wit 5 inches of travel that climb really well. Maybe not as fast as a hardtail, but a hell of a lot smoother. Plus hardtails are old skool. That's like driving a horse and carriage to work. Why punish yourself when there are so many better and more comfortable things out there. You could probably ride a full suspension bike longer just because it won't beat you up the whole time.

Get a hard tail if you just want to ride the sidewalks. Not too man bumps on them.

Full Suspension isn't just for downhill. If you don't ride up to go down, then something is wrong. Either your trails are really boring, or you need some help in the downhill.
I'm sure the man knows what an FS bike feels like and I'm pretty sure he used to or currently races DH. And why punish yourself? If you're already riding a bike really fast over rough terrain, I doubt that avoiding punishment is the highest priority.

I race expert level DH and live in a fairly rocky area. I probably ride my road bike and XC hardtail the most. I have a decent DH bike and a nice FS bike (Cannondale Prophet), but I often prefer to ride my Kona (which was probably a sweet bike around 2001- with super flexy SID/sometimes a rigid fork, V-brakes, 8 speed drivetrain). I have just as much fun, climb faster and have fewer issues breaking things when on the HT. Some places are more fun on full suspension, but lots of peopole ride HTs still and end up riding them more than their FS bikes.

bohorec

Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Old school FTW :cheers:

No need for FS on xc bikes. No extra cost for rear shock/pivots maintance + many other advantages.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Yup, JRogers is right. I am a DH racer. Hopefully getting my expert license this year (is it Cat 1 now? freakin' USAC). In a post earlier, I explained (albeit briefly) why I want a hardtail. Also, I ride a lot of XC because its great training, and doing so on a hardtail helps me pick lines better. This translates extremely well to DH. smooth lines = fast lines (generally). But then again, I also ride a ton of BMX and a fair amount of trials as training too.

And I also like the old skool aspect of it as well. I like the simplicity of a hardtail. You pedal, it goes. No fvcking with preload, BOR, LSC, HSC, HSR, none of that. Its cheaper, its easier to maintain. I spend a lot of time keeping my DH bike in top shape. When it comes to XC, I want reliability. I want to hop on and go. FWIW I log just as much, if not more, saddle time (and miles obviously) on my XC bike than my DH bike.