Quantcast

State of the Union: trailbikes for real men.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
All these "real men" trail bikes don't look like much fun to pedal up a hill or for any length of time.

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
Thoughts on a Ironhorse MkIII? Tax return and a nice little bonus are tempting me to replace my aging Trek Liquid. HA is a bit steep, but BB height looks great..
Don't do it... I'm looking here for a bike to REPLACE my MK3.
Even with a internal to External HT adapter and a deep bottom-cup headset it is still a little steep.

Sonic Reducer

Monkey
Mar 19, 2006
seattle worshington
i need a new trailbike so this thread is of great interest to me. I want something that is basically a 4x bike I can ride real dirt jumps and race 4x yet also do epic rides with lots of vertical up and down. but more of a 4x bike than a mini dh bike. The Blur 4x comes to mind right away but they are somewhat hard to find and no longer in production. a full length seat tube for climbing but slammable with the same seatpost, strong enough for big jumps, and climbable. I just came off a 08 trek fuel which was a great trail bike but i didn't dare jump it and it was more of an XC bike than I wanted. was also thinking about a banshee rune, morewood ndiza, or a used specialized enduro or sx.

sbabuser

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2004
Golden, CO
i need a new trailbike so this thread is of great interest to me. I want something that is basically a 4x bike I can ride real dirt jumps and race 4x yet also do epic rides with lots of vertical up and down. but more of a 4x bike than a mini dh bike. The Blur 4x comes to mind right away but they are somewhat hard to find and no longer in production. a full length seat tube for climbing but slammable with the same seatpost, strong enough for big jumps, and climbable. I just came off a 08 trek fuel which was a great trail bike but i didn't dare jump it and it was more of an XC bike than I wanted. was also thinking about a banshee rune, morewood ndiza, or a used specialized enduro or sx.
I've seen some deals lately on blur 4x's, but the sx can be made to do what you want, even with the interrupted seattube, so long as you have 2 seat/post setups. They have pretty similar geo (with the higher/ steeper shock shuttle on the sx) and are a blast to ride pretty much everywhere. Only thing that would make me sell my sx is maybe a dw linked version...