Quantcast

State of the Union: trailbikes for real men.

alfonz

Chimp
Jan 28, 2008
NYC
i really dig my banshee pyre, feels like a slalom bike on the trails!! i'm sure the new spitfire frame being slacker feels way better!!!

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
i am in the process of building my new covert now...when i get it done it will be perfect for this thread...36 Talas, 2.4 light casing tires, lg1, all x.0...yes

spocomptonrider

sportin' the CROCS
Nov 30, 2007
spokanistan
i am in the process of building my new covert now...when i get it done it will be perfect for this thread...36 Talas, 2.4 light casing tires, lg1, all x.0...yes
Hells yeah. Thats one of the most fun bikes I've ever ridden, I'd have one myself if I could justify another bike but such is life. Instead I'm building a bit of a do all hack about hardtail in a Transition Trans Am. Hopefully it'll be pretty versatile, fox talas 32, Gamut Guide, Thomson 50mm Stem, mountain cassette, single plys and X9 should be a fun bike just need to decide on wheels.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Hells yeah. Thats one of the most fun bikes I've ever ridden, I'd have one myself if I could justify another bike but such is life. Instead I'm building a bit of a do all hack about hardtail in a Transition Trans Am. Hopefully it'll be pretty versatile, fox talas 32, Gamut Guide, Thomson 50mm Stem, mountain cassette, single plys and X9 should be a fun bike just need to decide on wheels.
Funny you say that my do it all xc'ish bike is a light build singlespeed trans am with industry nine's and xtr stuff...i use that constantly my stable this year will include:

Trans Am
Covert v2
Blindside

im covered.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
you still happy with your bikes?

don't you have a spot?
Yeah I'm just saying that looks like a great trail bike - check out the geometry, 142mm rear, very light, etc...

How do you know what bike I have - are you looking for one:think::D

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
I'll agree with the Covert V2, I built one a few months ago, and it pretty much meets the requirements in the first post.

Full length, straight seat tube
Just under 14" BB, 67 deg HA, 17" chainstay
ISCG 05
Mine is 32.5 lbs with Hammerschmidt, 36 TALAS, Crossmax SX, Geax DHEA 2.3 TNT (which are heavy tires)
Here's mine:

Last edited:

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
I'll agree with the Covert V2, I built one a few months ago, and it pretty much meets the requirements in the first post.

Full length, straight seat tube
Just under 14" BB, 67 deg HA, 17" chainstay
ISCG 05
Mine is 32.5 lbs with Hammerschmidt, 36 TALAS, Crossmax SX, Geax DHEA 2.3 TNT (which are heavy tires)
Here's mine:

looks fantastic, i was about 5 seconds away from ordering an hammer/xo setup but decided against in favor of an xtr/32t/lg1+, realized i never use a granny ring and thought it would be lighter/simpler...

it's a bit of a shame that bike has great cable routing for HS

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
looks fantastic, i was about 5 seconds away from ordering an hammer/xo setup but decided against in favor of an xtr/32t/lg1+, realized i never use a granny ring and thought it would be lighter/simpler...

it's a bit of a shame that bike has great cable routing for HS
Thanks. If you don't need the granny, the 1x9 setup is definitely lighter. But, the Hammerschmidt works awesome if you need a 2x9. At least you always have the option to run one if you need more gearing.

TrailzHozer

Monkey
Jan 29, 2010
Yeah I'm just saying that looks like a great trail bike - check out the geometry, 142mm rear, very light, etc...

How do you know what bike I have - are you looking for one:think::D

recall you posting about your spot at some point and was just curious why you were suggesting a different bike than the one you are currently riding. That's all.

in the trees

Turbo Monkey
May 19, 2003
NH
Another Covert V.2 vote. Mine:

The Totem was only temporary this Fall. I need to get some updated pics. The bike now has a '10 Lyrik Solo Air and sits at just over 32lbs.:thumb:

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
recall you posting about your spot at some point and was just curious why you were suggesting a different bike than the one you are currently riding. That's all.
Cause I don't have cognitive dissonance like most bike owners and/or my requirements vary from others? I'm no brand whore either. There are tons of great trails bikes out there now.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
My trail bike is the same as my DH bike. I just swap the fork and seatpost. For all you haters, Im in the process of building up an a trail bike too. :)
uphill mode

trail mode

DH mode

strahan

Chimp
Dec 29, 2009
victoria, bc
I thought this video fit in nicely with the subject matter of the thread...
We shot the Rune & Spitfire videos on back-to-back days. Previously I'd spent a couple weeks on the Spitfire & really enjoyed it. I personally decided to go with a Rune for my own bike though. Less effecient weight wise, but the extra inch + geometry suited my style a bit better. The Rune absolutely *shreds* for a 6" bike.

Feb 13, 2002
Seattle, WA
Lookee what I got. In case you were wondering, it rips. Like, woah. Rips like my yeti did only harder.

Also, I bonked harder today than I have ever bonked before. Bonked so hard I was hallucinating food. Moral: don't have 2 cups of coffee for breakfast, a salad for lunch, then go for a massive ride. Unless you WANT to see Jesus.

Did I mention it rips? 2-wheel drifts and doubling sections all over the place. Only weak spot is technical climbing, but that just takes a bit of finesse (or the ol' sprint 'n' plow).

Got a bit of creaking from the linkage I need to sort out, and a 2 ring guide on the way and it's money. The spec was spot on except for a 100mm stem. It's a shame iron horse went under.

W4S

Turbo Monkey
Mar 2, 2004
Back in Hell A, b1thces

Only weak spot is technical climbing, but that just takes a bit of finesse (or the ol' sprint 'n' plow).
just get a new rear hub with better engagement, the WTB's that are speced are horrible, it feels like you get half a rotation at the cranks before the rear hub engages which makes technical climbing a lot harder.

Feb 13, 2002
Seattle, WA
just get a new rear hub with better engagement, the WTB's that are speced are horrible, it feels like you get half a rotation at the cranks before the rear hub engages which makes technical climbing a lot harder.
Yeah the hubs that it comes with are crap. Funny story: there was play in the front hub, so I took it apart and switched the right bearing to the left and vice versa. No more play! Some large tolerances going on in there.

Demomonkey

Monkey
Apr 27, 2005
Auckland New Zealand
Lookee what I got. In case you were wondering, it rips. Like, woah. Rips like my yeti did only harder.

Also, I bonked harder today than I have ever bonked before. Bonked so hard I was hallucinating food. Moral: don't have 2 cups of coffee for breakfast, a salad for lunch, then go for a massive ride. Unless you WANT to see Jesus.

Did I mention it rips? 2-wheel drifts and doubling sections all over the place. Only weak spot is technical climbing, but that just takes a bit of finesse (or the ol' sprint 'n' plow).

Got a bit of creaking from the linkage I need to sort out, and a 2 ring guide on the way and it's money. The spec was spot on except for a 100mm stem. It's a shame iron horse went under.
Congratulations on getting your ride sorted. The six point is a nice ride (I owned a Sunday and thought of getting one for ages - test rode etc) and I think has the ability to be an awesome ride with some spec changes and upgrades.

Whilst it wont ever be an XC whippet you should be able to get it down to early thirties with not too much trouble. Let us know how you get on.

Also that 'Goose shown here looks pretty damn nice too.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Here's my new Beauty.Can't wait til next Sunday!I'm very happy that it's only 32.5 lbs. Bad pic tho,from my phone.
The Mongoose Mission looks SWEET. The builds are insaine for the price. Im thinking about getting one too. What is your build list?

Tdubb

Monkey
Jan 28, 2005
All but the brakes and stem is new.

Mission 3 W/ RP23
Fox 32 Talas
X9 Shifters
X9 Rear Der.
Thompson stem
Race Face Bars
XT Brakes
Joplin 4 Seat Post
Iodine Wheels
2.35 High Rollers
Hammerschmidt AM
Wellgo Mag Pedals

fortfun

Chimp
Apr 23, 2009
coloRADo
Real man's trail bike. Do EVERYTHING! 34lbs complete.
36 float, X9, Rp23 with boost valve, elixir cr, deity cockpit on the way.

Attachments

captainspauldin

intrigued by a pole
May 14, 2007
Jersey Shore
Thoughts on a Ironhorse MkIII? Tax return and a nice little bonus are tempting me to replace my aging Trek Liquid. HA is a bit steep, but BB height looks great..

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
The Trek Remedy built up right is a great do it all bike... I had one in 2008 after a bad crash that put me out for the season to rehab on. It climbed great and you didn't have to hold back on the DH runs ether. Mine was about 29lbs with All Mt wheels and tires on it, then had another set of DH wheels with DH tires to throw on it when needed. Put it around 31lbs.

Good luck,

Cecil:thumb:
that is what i was gonna say. i've got a Gary Fisher Roscoe II and it is sweet, and at a mid point between the Trek Fuel and the Remedy. I'd have gone Remedy if I needed something a bit more burly.

swan3609

Chimp
Mar 18, 2008
I love my Mongoose Khyber Super, my do it all bike. I actually will grab this for DH rides now because it is soo much fun to ride. truly is the most fun and versitile bike I have ever owned..

just some pics from the other day at a buddies local trail..

Polandspring88

Superman
Mar 31, 2004
Broomfield, CO

Inaccurate geometry as shown, 14" BB, 65-66* HA.

Build:

Suspension: SL + coil spring, Shimmed DHX air
Wheels: Hadley SS Ti bolt on rear, 20mm front, Mavic EN321 rims with a High Roller in back and Minion up front
Drivetrain: Shimano SLX, e.13 33t guidering
Controls: Thomson, Sunline, WTB

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
I love my Mongoose Khyber Super, my do it all bike. I actually will grab this for DH rides now because it is soo much fun to
F*ck ya dude, i do the same thing mix up the bikes my 'trail bike' is my new fr bike for much of the stuff around here...makes me that much better on my dh bike...

funny the more i read this thread i realize that these are 'mountain bikes', lost of guys doing tons of climbing and gnarly descending on them...to me that is what it's all about both of those things.