Quantcast

states for DH and school

dgrif

Monkey
Apr 12, 2006
colo spigs
I'm gonna be switching schools/jobs in about a year and I'm trying to figure out which states have plenty of great downhill and good colleges close to each other. I'm thinking maybe colorado, utah or montana.. any suggestions?

grif

kahner89

Monkey
May 25, 2006
spokanistan
if mtbikin is not just a hobby then u of BC which is down from whistler but im sure there are other colleges close by that are better than U of BC. it is a crappy lookin school too. all grey but it is in vancouver and close to downtown and it is north shore property so that might win it for you i dunno. i know it would win it for me.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
how about massachusetts? Boston has a ton of schools, and diablo, plattekill, jiminy, whiteface, attitash, mt. snow and mt st. ann are about a day trip away. If you don't have a car, forget about, but there are a ton of schools and lots of good riding around.

wood-dog

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
the mid-west armpit!
Dude! do yourself a HUGE favor and completely run through oklahoma as fast as you can! and never look back! The land is flat, the temps are HOT, and the universities are soso but with an overly priced tution. Tulsa, ok. is one of the top 15 cities in the nation with very overweight people. The public schools are a joke and the Mayor is a dork who on a very rear accasion favors a good choice. Oh, and the biking here is awful, some little area called Turkey Mtn that has some good trails and a freeride park but the parkin lots are full of butt-pirates waiting to meet some guy to molest in the bushes.
However if you are into road riding, you might be in luck. Lots and lots of roads with wide shoulder for a cyclist to ride providing you like to ride flat with a head wind of 20-35mph and the occasional white-trash a$$hole who thinks is funny to throw a beer bottle out the window at you. But I assume you are not looking for this type of environment so keep moving,,,,, go with the Rockymounatins!

dgrif

Monkey
Apr 12, 2006
colo spigs
partsbara said:
nebraska :devil:

when is ya time finished griff ?
'bout a year or year and a half, depends on school and if i get fed up enough to submit for early departure ;) gonna get as much free school as i can though. How did you fit in over in Korea? Bet you stuck out like a sore thumb :P give my regards to the mrs.

grif

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
dgrif said:
'bout a year or year and a half, depends on school and if i get fed up enough to submit for early departure ;) gonna get as much free school as i can though. How did you fit in over in Korea? Bet you stuck out like a sore thumb :P give my regards to the mrs.

grif
cool... hope it works out for ya... yeah, korea was a PITA... good to see the missus, but i ll be glad when shes back here...

sayndesyn

Turbo Monkey
If you want to race dh for a college FLC in Durango is awesome, but the academics are soso. Boulder is a much better school, but a real yuppie town. However you are close to Keystone, Vail, etc, and there is a sh!t ton of dirt jump spots in the Boulder/Denver/Aurora area. I've found 3 spots within 20 minutes of Denver that are Waaaaaay bigger than the old RAB jumps.

dgrif

Monkey
Apr 12, 2006
colo spigs
yeah colorado is lookin nice.. tricky is talkin me up about montana, and it does look sweet up there. close to canada too. I'll have to look into the mass area for sure. I was lookin at the DC area too, but the traffic looks like it blows pretty bad.

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
sayndesyn said:
I've found 3 spots within 20 minutes of Denver that are Waaaaaay bigger than the old RAB jumps.
what do you know... everyone knows uphill jumps rule

edit.. the only jumps there that were even close to being considered big were the two that we built... but they didn t pass the rigorous air farce test.. what do we know.. i m sure the places in denver are way bigger... when ya come out here i ll show ya a double that ll make ya wish for mommy.. makes the big one at burg frank look small... too big for this scared old man...

the sh1t at RAB was fun, although small.. but ya have to remember that we had to start them small due to the fact that they were on base... lots of kids, inexperienced jumpers etc... still doesn t change the fact that my bike doesn t roll uphill :dead:

dgrif

Monkey
Apr 12, 2006
colo spigs
bjanga said:
CA, Boston, WA, AZ
yeah we were thinkin about AZ too.. what area? I stopped by the Tempe area a few months ago.. guy at a lbs there told me the freeride scene was decent, but he didnt know about DH.

sayndesyn

Turbo Monkey
Some of the big jumps here are near vert and it looks like you would hit about 15 feet off the deck easy. For some reason the vert jumps sketch me out, but I've been hitting a bunch of fun medium sized doubles about the size of the right line at RAB that go into berms with gaps and rhythm sections. My vote is Colorado griff, but Montana would be sweet as well.

partsbara said:
what do you know... everyone knows uphill jumps rule

edit.. the only jumps there that were even close to being considered big were the two that we built... but they didn t pass the rigorous air farce test.. what do we know.. i m sure the places in denver are way bigger... when ya come out here i ll show ya a double that ll make ya wish for mommy.. makes the big one at burg frank look small... too big for this scared old man...

the sh1t at RAB was fun, although small.. but ya have to remember that we had to start them small due to the fact that they were on base... lots of kids, inexperienced jumpers etc... still doesn t change the fact that my bike doesn t roll uphill :dead:

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
sayndesyn said:
Some of the big jumps here are near vert and it looks like you would hit about 15 feet off the deck easy. For some reason the vert jumps sketch me out, but I've been hitting a bunch of fun medium sized doubles about the size of the right line at RAB that go into berms with gaps and rhythm sections. My vote is Colorado griff, but Montana would be sweet as well.

sounds good mate... those jumps on the RHS at rab were good... yeah, the vert stuff isn t my cup o tea either... it s so frackin hot here... 102 today, 103 tomorrow... think i might have to buy some lights for night rides...

i d go colorado as well griff...

bjanga

Turbo Monkey
Dec 25, 2004
San Diego
dgrif, I do not know where any riding is at in AZ, but school/winter there means that you can ride somewhere else during the summer - move in with someone in WA or canada . . .

dhbuilder, do people ever bring hardtails to windrock?

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Salt Lake (Univ. of Utah)...we just need to convince more resorts to get up off their asses.

Far closer to liftys than anywhere else in the world with a university.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
bjanga said:
dhbuilder, do people ever bring hardtails to windrock?
yeah, but it's not very pretty.

i've seen people ride em.
but all that usually results in, is them just easing down.
the speed you need to ride, just isn't obtainable on a hardtail.

tangboy

Chimp
Aug 6, 2002
Fort Myers, Florida
What about Florida? This place is sweet... Nascar, Daytona, spring break, girls, mullets, cheap beer, rednecks, moto tracks galore, air boats, swamp buggies, alligators, snakes, 6 feet long flesh eating lizards and a whopping 343 feet of elevation change. You'll be so busy you won't even care about downhill, and when you do, you'll be stoked to know that the University of Florida is the southeast conference mountain bike champions. The dirty south is where it's at!

hungryleprican

Turbo Monkey
Jun 15, 2006
ndub
WA is close to alot of dh courses, plenty if great riding in the seattle area (E38,E27,marginal,sst,and hopefully they re-open the summit for dh) and we're a 5 hour drive away from whistler

UW is a great school

so is wsu

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
tangboy said:
What about Florida? This place is sweet... Nascar, Daytona, spring break, girls, mullets, cheap beer, rednecks, moto tracks galore, air boats, swamp buggies, alligators, snakes, 6 feet long flesh eating lizards and a whopping 343 feet of elevation change. You'll be so busy you won't even care about downhill, and when you do, you'll be stoked to know that the University of Florida is the southeast conference mountain bike champions. The dirty south is where it's at!
also, don t forget the chance to meet loads of queers and old folks...

TheInedibleHulk

Turbo Monkey
May 26, 2004
Colorado
If you are going to school to ride bikes, or more specifically to race downhill, there are only two options. University of Colorado and Fort Lewis. And Fort Lewis is a glorified community college that I could get my dog into if I wanted:D .

mcrae2112

Chimp
Mar 15, 2006
Duvall
hungryleprican said:
WA is close to alot of dh courses, plenty if great riding in the seattle area (E38,E27,marginal,sst,and hopefully they re-open the summit for dh) and we're a 5 hour drive away from whistler

UW is a great school

so is wsu
Yup, WA is pretty rad, definetly glad I live here. Tons of riding in state as well as reasonable drives away from some of the best riding availible (Shore, Whistler). The schools in WA are good too, I'm looking to go to Western WA University which is in Bellingham. There's some good riding there and it's very close to good ol' Canada.