Steel bikes: Who has one?

moff_quigley

Why don't you have a seat over there?
Jan 27, 2005
Poseurville
My fave steel rant/rave by a buddy of mine on another board:

mward said:
Some thoughts on steel

Well, it's steel, so of course it's good. Ninja swords were made from steel. So you know it kicks ass.

Things ninja swords were not made from:

* aluminum
* carbon fiber
* dead cats.

Other badass things made from steel:

* Guns
* Bombs
* Chuck Norris

Also steel is steely, as in steely eyed. So it gives you some good mojo, you can defeat your enemies with your demeanor.

In a pinch, steel can be magnetized, macgyver style, which might get you out of a fix if you had to turn your bike into a giant compass or something.

Also steel rusts, which is handy, because it's a good indicator when you need to buy a new bike. Since the only way a steel bike can be destroyed is by rust, and chromoly rusts really slowly, they last a long time. When the rust goes all the way through the tube, you know it's shot. Aluminum and carbon fiber don't do this, they just break, usually when you're riding down a volcano at 200 mph being chased by pirates who are mad at you for being a ninja.

Steel is real. Aluminum is real too, it just doesn't rhyme.
I have a steel mid 80's Miyata 310 (road bike). I can't quite describe the way it rides. It's very smooth for lack of a better word.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Here's the latest incarnation of my Zion 853 - 26" front suspension single speed. I think it is best in this mode.

This one was steel up front and AL in back - and the original owner was narlus - now a guy in Germany is riding it.

This Surly Karate Monkey was fun, but the bottom bracket was too low for my tastes:

I'll add more in a bit.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Here are a few more of my other steel bikes and bike with steel in em:

This one came with an AL front and cromoly rear:

I got this DMR Rhythm from Sanjay - fun little bike. Passed it along to a young kid from MA

Surly Instigator! This was a fun ride and the paint was stunning on it. I got it from carbon fetish here on RM and I think he got it from Reflux. It has since moved on to two other lucky owners.

And last but not least, my current road bike - a Serotta Colorado LT!! Lugged Steel goodness!!!

Overall for hardtails and road bikes, I prefer the feel and looks of steel.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
MMcG/Mark-
How tall are you? The Serotta is quite nice.
I'm 5'9" tall and the frame is a 54cm - the only thing that I'd like to change on it is the bars - they are pretty narrow. The bike was originally purchased for a tall woman to use as a PT bike for a knee injury. She barely rode it. But I think the bars were purchased for a female rider in mind. they are fairly narrow - but I have just let them be for the time being.

The bike rides like buttah!

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
I actually think you are better off with the Zion 853 that you have now.

The Surly was cool and fun as hell and burly - but it was also sorta heavy. But it did climb like a mofo up at the Kingdom!
Maybe. I already have a light XC bike so a little beefier one wouldn't have been the end of the world either.

Ian F

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
Philadelphia area
I have a '97 Indy Fab Deluxe I bought new. It'll be 10 years old in March... :twitch: ... no pic handy... it's black... with 8 spd XTR... and gold King hubs... nothing really all that pic-worthy. Currently running a cheap rigid fork as both of my short travel XC forks are toast.

I've been wanting a steel IF road bike... but can't quite let go of my Ti Colnago (also a '97)...

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
Surly Instigator! This was a fun ride and the paint was stunning on it. I got it from carbon fetish here on RM and I think he got it from Reflux. It has since moved on to two other lucky owners.

I LOVED that frame; I never should have let it go in the first place. It was briefly up for sale a few months ago, and was soooo close to picking until I got ninja'd. Bastards!!

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
I've got 2:
The Inbred:

and the Voodoo, a '97 Wanga made with Tange Prestige tubing. It was my first real mtb and still a joy to ride. (I didn't clamp it like this :disgust1:)

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
I'm bummed my file server is down or else I would post up pictures of my SWD and my Surly. Oh well. I have 2. My Surly is my cross/road bike and my SWD is my Downhill/Freeride bike. Love them both.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I have a steelman road bike, an old trek fixie, and a custom hartail built by a friend. They are all reynolds. I want to replace my chameleon with steel park/play bike. Oh and this is the only pic I have (my fixie):

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
I have two. My Revell and my BMX. They do ride nicer than Alu for sure. I just bought an Alu hardtail XC frame, and seeing all your lovely steel hard tails here is making me cry.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Some excellent bikes in this thread. I think my favorite thing about steel is just the idea of permanence. Id be a little sketchy on keeping an alu bike for 5 or 6 years as a main ride, but I hope my Cove lasts 10.
Other than corrosion resistance, and obviously weight, any reason to go with ti over steel? Ride characteristics are similar, no?

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Some excellent bikes in this thread. I think my favorite thing about steel is just the idea of permanence. Id be a little sketchy on keeping an alu bike for 5 or 6 years as a main ride, but I hope my Cove lasts 10.
the design of the bike, tubeset selection, and fabrication (and use/abuse, but that's another story) have way more to do w/ the longevity of a frame rather than whether it's made of aluminum or steel. i've seen steel bikes crack, i've see aluminum bike crack.

edit - do you use steel cranks, handlebar, stem and seatpost?