Quantcast

Steel bikes: Who has one?

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Sweet ride but dude, can you downsize that pic?

Burley, steel and ti have a different feel, but it also depends on the frames you're comparing. Most ti bikes I've ridden have felt a little more compliant and smooth, but that also sometimes means whippy and noodly. The beefier ti frames are really rad but then you don't have the weight advantage.

I want a stainless bike.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Sweet ride but dude, can you downsize that pic?

Burley, steel and ti have a different feel, but it also depends on the frames you're comparing. Most ti bikes I've ridden have felt a little more compliant and smooth, but that also sometimes means whippy and noodly. The beefier ti frames are really rad but then you don't have the weight advantage.

I want a stainless bike.
When I used to jump my old Ti frame I could really feel it give on hard landings. Of course it wasn't designed to do that. Ti has more of a damped flex than steel does, I think the noodlyness actual helps it rail in bumpy corners.

I too want a stainless bike. If I ever go for a custom road bike it will be SS, I don't know of any MTB that are stainless anymore. I think Kelly had one for a while.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
straight from 1996

since november 2003, when i shot the image, and now, about 0 has changed on the bike. i guess i swapped seats with another of my bikes, and changed a few tubes, but that's it...

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I too want a stainless bike. If I ever go for a custom road bike it will be SS, I don't know of any MTB that are stainless anymore. I think Kelly had one for a while.
Yeah I remember Rhygin in the Northeast made some stainless bikes years ago but I haven't seen much lately. Reynolds has a relatively new tubeset called 953, I'm curious to see if people start to use it. It's apparently similar to ti in terms of being a pain in the ass to work with.

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
Yeah I remember Rhygin in the Northeast made some stainless bikes years ago but I haven't seen much lately. Reynolds has a relatively new tubeset called 953, I'm curious to see if people start to use it. It's apparently similar to ti in terms of being a pain in the ass to work with.
As an extremely happy owner of an 853 bike, I have to ask, why mess with a good thing?

Didn't IRD make a brief attempt at a stainless bike?

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I'm a very happy owner of an 853 bike too. I just like neat bikes, and I think it would be cool for something simple like that new fixed gear I've been wanting for a while. Not necessarily better, just different and interesting.

stinky|Dan

Monkey
Aug 3, 2002
All I know is that I seriously regret getting rid of my .243 so i'm definately holding onto my RM Blizzard for a long, long, long time. I love steel bikes.

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
I'm a very happy owner of an 853 bike too. I just like neat bikes, and I think it would be cool for something simple like that new fixed gear I've been wanting for a while. Not necessarily better, just different and interesting.
Gotcha. I actually did the same a couple years back, thus the Sycip. It's a beautiful bike, but it has a decided race feel that I never anticipated. That being said however, I'm looking to put it together as a SS so that it doesn't just gather dust in my closet. Keep us posted on the fixie.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
Brew 200 Proof: 853

Columbus Zona

Unfortunately, I don't ride this one yet. Needs a front brake and some different bars for the street. Reynolds 531???

Couldn't pass it up: $650 for the frame, fork, cranks, bars/stem and post.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
columbus made the tubing for rhygin (nivachrom?)...

a good friend of mine's got a custom-made peter mooney (wheelworks) fixed gear frame made of stainless tubing which he uses as a commuter. he's got those anodized blue campy bmx cranks on it. sweet ride.