Quantcast

Stem Cell Bill

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Old Man G Funk said:
When Bush and Co. lie about/misuse/abuse the science, then they are subverting the democratic process. When Bush made his announcement back in 2001 about the stem cell lines that were available, he out and out lied to the American public. Either that, or he didn't bother to get the latest science on the issue which is also problematic.

Pffft.... :rolleyes:

It wasn't like Bush flip-flopped on this.. he said long ago it would be vetoed and it was. No one should be the least bit shocked.

Old Man G Funk

Choir Boy
Nov 21, 2005
In a handbasket
N8 said:
Sorry, I don't see this veto as a mistake.
So, when Bush said that we had about 80 lines of stem cells for researchers to use, but it really turned out to be about 11 and most of those were inadequate and degenerating, he didn't make a mistake? Actually, you're probably right. He probably lied deliberately.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
kidwoo said:
Yes. Live children with fully formed limbs and personalities and skin.

Only after they learn to say "mamma" though.
We can do it on Japanese children. Every good Christian knows that Japanese people don't have souls...

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
For kristsakes!!! The veto didn't ban stem cell research...

There is already gov approved research being done and will continue to do so. This veto was for the expansion of federal funding...

:rolleyes:

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Old Man G Funk said:
So, when Bush said that we had about 80 lines of stem cells for researchers to use, but it really turned out to be about 11 and most of those were inadequate and degenerating, he didn't make a mistake? Actually, you're probably right. He probably lied deliberately.

You mean 22..?

Old Man G Funk

Choir Boy
Nov 21, 2005
In a handbasket
N8 said:
For kristsakes!!! The veto didn't ban stem cell research...

There is already gov approved research being done and will continue to do so. This veto was for the expansion of federal funding...

:rolleyes:
The veto didn't ban stem cell research, but it only allows it on the stem cells that Bush allowed back in 2001, which I just said have proven to be inadequate to the task.

But, hey, if you'd rather throw embryos in the trash than use them to maybe save lives....

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Seriously though, what else could Bush have done? Im guessing he made a promise to his voters that he'd be against abortion. It wouldnt make much sense for him to support something like this. I mean, if he did, then you'd be all over him for being inconsistent. Its a no-win situation.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Old Man G Funk said:
Yes, 22, but some of those are basically useless. I thought I read somewhere that there were really only 11 that were still useful, but I can't back that up.

Either way, the 22 that we have is not enough.

How do you know? You an expert?

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
BurlyShirley said:
Seriously though, what else could Bush have done? Im guessing he made a promise to his voters that he'd be against abortion. It wouldnt make much sense for him to support something like this. I mean, if he did, then you'd be all over him for being inconsistent. Its a no-win situation.
Exactly.. except Bush wins by doing what he says he'll do, and not compromising his principles.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
BurlyShirley said:
you obviously dont pay attention. Ive disagreed w/ the Bush admin. on many fronts and am NOT a republican. Im just socially conservative for the most part. But w/ economy, environmental, foreign policy, Ive not towed ANY party's line.
Fortunately it's true. Shirley is being a jerk about this just because nearly everone else is 'against' it. It something to do with his childhood...

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
BurlyShirley said:
If the voters had half a brain they'd know the two are completely different.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
BurlyShirley said:
It wouldnt make much sense for him to support something like this. I mean, if he did, then you'd be all over him for being inconsistent. Its a no-win situation.
By not outlawing IVF in the first place, he's allowing a holocaust to happen so that Suzy Homemaker can have triplets.

That's a hell of a principle to uphold...

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Silver said:
By not outlawing IVF in the first place, he's allowing a holocaust to happen so that Suzy Homemaker can have triplets.

Yup yup

It's NOT ABOUT EMBRYOS OR "ABORTION" SHIRLEY

All the federally funded stem cell research in the country wouldn't account for half the number of much more developed fetuseseseses thrown in the trash from botched IVFs.

BS: the irony of your inconsistency claim is absurd.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
kidwoo said:
Yup yup

It's NOT ABOUT EMBRYOS OR "ABORTION" SHIRLEY

All the federally funded stem cell research in the country wouldn't account for half the number of much more developed fetuseseseses thrown in the trash from botched IVFs.

BS: the irony of your inconsistency claim is absurd.
Quit taking my explanations as "MY" argument. I understand fully (or as much as the next guy who has half paid attention) how useful stemcell research can/could be. Im all for it. Im just saying that it's not consistent with his "moral" platform and there's no way to win.
The IVF argument isnt necessarily a slam dunk becuase you have to examin who you're talking to, and what they're more concerned with is purpose than practicality. Or rather, that "creating" babies is different than experimenting on them.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
BurlyShirley said:
Quit taking my explanations as "MY" argument. .
Fair enough but there's still a contradiction there that I have a problem with and you repeating it adds your voice to the argument.

BurlyShirley said:
I understand fully (or as much as the next guy who has half paid attention) how useful stemcell research can/could be. Im all for it. Im just saying that it's not consistent with his "moral" platform and there's no way to win.
The IVF argument isnt necessarily a slam dunk becuase you have to examin who you're talking to, and what they're more concerned with is purpose than practicality. Or rather, that "creating" babies is different than experimenting on them.
No one is experimenting on babies. Stem cell bundles are about as complex as some of the things I shoot out of my nose. And IVF trials have a failure rate too and are in a sense a trial or "experiment".

But you are right, audience is important. To me helping an existing human with a history, a personality and family is a far more noble cause than using the same resources to make a theoretical person.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
kidwoo said:
Fair enough but there's still a contradiction there that I have a problem with and you repeating it adds your voice to the argument.

No one is experimenting on babies. Stem cell bundles are about as complex as some of the things I shoot out of my nose. And IVF trials have a failure rate too and are in a sense a trial or "experiment".

But you are right, audience is important. To me helping an existing human with a history, a personality and family is a far more noble cause than using the same resources to make a theoretical person.
Are you patronizing me or do you think I really think of them as babies?

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
BurlyShirley said:
Are you patronizing me or do you think I really think of them as babies?

I thought you were joking but you keep saying it in the midst of defending yourself and your explanations.

But even making fun of that in your word choice makes is sound like you for some reason understand the BS argument that gets made for the opposition. There's nothing to understand. It's ignorance. I'm well aware that you know that so cut it out.:D

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
kidwoo said:
I thought you were joking but you keep saying it in the midst of defending yourself and your explanations.

But even making fun of that in your word choice makes is sound like you for some reason understand the BS argument that gets made for the opposition. There's nothing to understand. It's ignorance. I'm well aware that you know that so cut it out.:D
I dont think it's simple ignorance tho. I mean, I think most people understand some embryos die in trying to fertilize lesbians, but that's an acceptable loss because you're trying to create life. I think they see it differently when you're experimenting on, or otherwise culturing them to save the lives of another person. I think they see it as organ stealing or something. And, in a sense, that's essentially what it is. Though I have no issue with that. The debate still comes back to what is or is not a person.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
BurlyShirley said:
I dont think it's simple ignorance tho. I mean, I think most people understand some embryos die in trying to fertilize lesbians, .
That's downright quotable.

I don't think that even a newborn is a person (yet). I'd be hardpressed to rip one apart but that's still very very far from what actually occurs in stem cell harvesting. Correct me if I'm wrong but we're talking about a bundle of cells on the scale of hundreds no?

I'd like to see that bundle grow a moustache and drive a corvette.

Seriously though, without jesus how many people would be "morally" opposed to this when straight up embryos get sacrificed for IVF?

Jesus makes everything bad.

jacemace

Chimp
Mar 23, 2004
If we want to use pure technocratic determinism in medicine et al...it will have to wait until this president leaves...or there is proof during his reign that an omnipotent clone army (has been/can be) made by China or someone else...belligerence and truculence before death and dishonour...even if it is not facilitated by what the true son of the omnipotent said.

spincrazy

I love to climb
Jul 19, 2001
Brooklyn
BurlyShirley said:
you obviously dont pay attention. Ive disagreed w/ the Bush admin. on many fronts and am NOT a republican. Im just socially conservative for the most part. But w/ economy, environmental, foreign policy, Ive not towed ANY party's line.
No, I wasn't saying that. Only that you disagree just to play devil's advocate on nearly every occasion. I don't believe you really have these deep convictions about, well, anything. I've been here long enough....

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
spincrazy said:
No, I wasn't saying that. Only that you disagree just to play devil's advocate on nearly every occasion. I don't believe you really have these deep convictions about, well, anything. I've been here long enough....
Who the hell would you people argue with if I didnt?

Old Man G Funk

Choir Boy
Nov 21, 2005
In a handbasket
BurlyShirley said:
Abortion and using the stem cells of discarded embryos are 2 completely separate things. Linking the two is equivocating two unequal things.