Quantcast

Steve Peat

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
do yourselves a favor, go watch nico ride then come back and try to say its the equipment that gave him an advantage. the guy is still probably the most technically skilled rider to ever throw a leg over a dh bike.

There must be a few other people on here who were also at Deer Valley in '01 and watched him try his hand at slalom since he had never done it before. On his stock dh bike (okay i did see his mechanic install xc tubes) he qualified 1st ahead of lopes, kovarick, bootes, king, carter, etc. if that's not a display of raw bike riding ability then i'm not sure what is.

Or champery, one of the hardest tracks in the history of the sport, and he qualifies 5th after having to pass 2 riders; at the age of 31 and 5 years since his last wc downhill race!

I'd be willin to bet that if nico came back (but why would he?) and seriously contested the wc series he would still win races even after 7 years in 'retirement.' it's not the bike

but Peaty's still the f'ing man

Last edited:

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
comparing the two directly in terms of skill and speed is not possible.
Nope, its real possible

World Championship title count.

Nico = 10
Peat = 0

Clear as a f***ing bell really.
And Peat is my favorite rider on the whole circuit by far.
He is a great racer, a super guy, and is also extremely consistent on the world cup. If he is not injured, he is always in the running for the title every year, but Nico's numbers speak for themselves. The alien was a machine.

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
Fact ^^^^

plus they raced on the wc circuit together for at least 7 years.

i find it equally impressive that Peaty has been on top for so long and vouilloz accomplished everything so quickly and retired at 26. (Hill is 24, and hasn't even come close yet).

Gridds

Monkey
Dec 18, 2008
Great Britain
Do you ever wonder if Peaty wasn't such a drinker he could've been as good as Nico?

Nico was perhaps a better rider at the time, but he was an alien.

Peaty is the man and still winning at DH! :cheers:

richhouseman

Chimp
Feb 20, 2002
Temecula
General Lee....I was there in 2001 and I'm pretty sure Nico qualified 4th that race. It was pretty amazing what he did on the DH bike for sure!

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
There was the time Steve beat Nico in spain, one of Peatys first world cups, he was riding an out of the box bike with roachy 80mm forks vs Nicos custom LTS with Boxxers.

Ya, there were a bunch of other times Nico beat Steve, and there were way too many times to count where I watched Nico go through some sections wondering how it was even possible...but that day in spain was a 'wtf' moment.

elRey

Turbo Monkey
do yourselves a favor, go watch nico ride then come back and try to say its the equipment that gave him an advantage. the guy is still probably the most technically skilled rider to ever throw a leg over a dh bike.

There must be a few other people on here who were also at Deer Valley in '01 and watched him try his hand at slalom since he had never done it before. On his stock dh bike (okay i did see his mechanic install xc tubes) he qualified 1st ahead of lopes, kovarick, bootes, king, carter, etc. if that's not a display of raw bike riding ability then i'm not sure what is.

Or champery, one of the hardest tracks in the history of the sport, and he qualifies 5th after having to pass 2 riders; at the age of 31 and 5 years since his last wc downhill race!

I'd be willin to bet that if nico came back (but why would he?) and seriously contested the wc series he would still win races even after 7 years in 'retirement.' it's not the bike

but Peaty's still the f'ing man
quoted for truth

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
moral of the story, start banging out kids! Maybe Leigh should get in the gate again!
Leighs parents are here, we all just watched, with our kid on my lap...Leigh's dad said "maybe you can make a comeback" and leigh laughed and said "pfffff, I would have to train-ugh"

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
F*ck yeah, Peaty!!! Another one for the old(er) guys. How many times have we heard the "time to make way for the young crop or riders" line only to have Peat kick it to the curb?

If he can ride like this for another decade then he will be untouchable in the "king of the sport" category. It wouldn't shock me one bit if we were talking about his 30th WC win 10yrs from now. If you think I'm nuts, google the name Bart McDaniel.

He's not getting older...just faster!

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
I can't believe he's started the season with 2 back-to-backs. REALLY chuffed for him, last year he didn't win a single world cup, which for an injury-free year was a first for him for a LONG time I think?

And now two, straight off the bat? Dude must've trained his tits off this year! Is he still partying as hard as ever, or are we seeing a newly dedicated Peat this year?

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
I can't believe he's started the season with 2 back-to-backs. REALLY chuffed for him, last year he didn't win a single world cup, which for an injury-free year was a first for him for a LONG time I think?

And now two, straight off the bat? Dude must've trained his tits off this year! Is he still partying as hard as ever, or are we seeing a newly dedicated Peat this year?
I dont think so. Warner and Gracia were talking about how he was telling minnaar and them all about how he's done a terrible job training in the off season with george coming, and that Peat is usually pretty up front about stuff like that. I think whenever he takes stuff too seriously he does poorly, and whenever he's drunk out of his mind he does well.

lumpygravy

Chimp
Sep 4, 2008
I think whenever he takes stuff too seriously he does poorly, and whenever he's drunk out of his mind he does well.
I'm not sure you get to the top of any industry ( dare I say it even the mountain biking industry) by being drunk out of your mind.

Perhaps fatherhood and a healthy bank balance has changed his priorities and with that the pressure to win reduces so he can relax and enjoy riding his bike a little more. A relaxed rider is a fast rider....no?

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca

He has trained less than ever...too much real life stuff going on. Perhaps he is like Ned Overend (not as old as Ned though), where the less he rides, the better he rides....All the base miles finally caught up to him.

mccdh

Monkey
Sep 9, 2008
Comox
Did he seriously wave to the crowds when he dropped in for his race run like the dirtmag video showed, or was a joke done from practice? If so thats flippin awesome that he is so cool droppin in and totally seems like hes really enjoying life right now. Well done best of luck on the rest of the season.

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
No, it's a different top - might be his qualifying run, or just a practice run.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Or maybe he's just stoked on life after having kid #2 :cheers:
Nah, after not driving fast enough to make it to the hospital and having his wife giving birth to his kid in the car he swore he will never be too slow again! :imstupid::biggrin:

Or he sold the soul of his kid to the devil in exchange for raw speed?

Nice job Steve Peat, truly a legend!!!!