Quantcast

Stolen BCD---Keep your eyes open---

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
Just make sure that you let everyone know how it goes down. I'd ask for a video tape but that's a far fetch :) Just keep this post alive

May 24, 2002
Boulder CO
I know the address where the bike resides, i just need somebody to deal with confronting the guy...or somebody to give him a story so we can get the bike into a neutral place---aka bike shop--- and go from there.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Why not call the Police. I had a bike stolen once and after I called the Police and told them the value of the bike and the story behind it I had the bike back 2 hours later.

Mattoid

Monkey
Aug 3, 2003
Charlottesville, Virginia
CBJ said:
Why not call the Police. I had a bike stolen once and after I called the Police and told them the value of the bike and the story behind it I had the bike back 2 hours later.

Is it not there job to sort out matters like this? I wouldnt risk letting this guy slip away.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I've seen these things go lots of different ways. A confronted thief is capable of just about anything, including lashing back with weapons and other crap that can get seriously ugly, seriously fast. And it ain't a video game. I'd say get the info together and have the police deal with it, or at least be on board with your plan. I didn't know Kyle and I don't know his family, but the bike is not worth the risk of someone else getting hurt. I know it's not my place to opine, just an outsider's $.02.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
neversummersnow said:
I know the address where the bike resides, i just need somebody to deal with confronting the guy...or somebody to give him a story so we can get the bike into a neutral place---aka bike shop--- and go from there.
I'm willing to cruise the joint and size it up. Post or PM me the address.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
bizutch said:
umm, without serial numbers the police won't do anything.
Go to the police first and see if they tell you that. They might, but this is truly a unique bike, the serial number shouldn't matter - it's not like it's a rockhopper and there are thousands of them out there.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
I agree with the cop route, but they probably need a search warrant, and if they make contact without one, the bike may "disappear" into the bottom of a canal. if I have the address, I can ride by with some buddies, and maybe he's out front washing it and we strike up a conversation blah, blah, blah and one of us can get the cops there while we're BSing with the guy. Bike's there and so is he...

May 24, 2002
Boulder CO
Well, here is the scoop. If I call the cops I'm scared they'll just laugh at me. Sure we're almost positive this guy has the bike, being phone calls have been placed and questions have been asked, but the cops aren't going to raid this guys house based on that alone.

Anybody against me posting the address here? I don't think the guy will ever find it.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
What is there to scared about? Just ask them. If they say they can't/won't help move on to plan B.

BuddhaRoadkill

I suck at Tool
Feb 15, 2004
Chintimini Bog
The only problem I see is that without a warrant, they can only knock and ask about it. All this does is tell Mr Asshole he needs to ditch the bike. If you got enough for them to get a warrant, move on it. If not ... get enough, it's your best option.

May 24, 2002
Boulder CO
Its done, I just sent an email to the cops explaining the whole situation. I felt this would be the easiest way to convey the WHOLE story to the police. I sent it to the Mesa police department which is where I believe Kyle lived and the report was filed. Any information on the whereabouts of Kyle's report being filed could help me.

Matt D

Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
charlottesville, va
You should definitely follow up soon with a phone call. Emails are so impersonal, they can just throw it away or put it on someones desk for it to get buried.

I'm afraid this has gone on too long and it's gone already. I don't understand why you've known the whereabouts of the bike, and took so much time to react to it. The cops will ask you "well why didn't you do something about this for the past 2 weeks if it's so important?".

Best of luck though! And keep us updated.

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
neversummersnow said:
Its done, I just sent an email to the cops explaining the whole situation. I felt this would be the easiest way to convey the WHOLE story to the police. I sent it to the Mesa police department which is where I believe Kyle lived and the report was filed. Any information on the whereabouts of Kyle's report being filed could help me.
from my (fortunately) brief instances dealing with the police they won't do a single thing over the phone(i'm guessing email will be just as much of a dead end). Some departments allow you to fax a report/complaint in, but it seems most require you to go in person.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
neversummersnow said:
Its done, I just sent an email to the cops......
you might as well stare into the sun until your eyes burst into flames. an email?
I can just picture it now.
It's 8pm. I cut on the TV (cue theme music):
"Bad boys...Bad boys...what'cha gonna do..."
"Tonight on Cops" (cut scene to cruiser)
"Yeah, we're responding to a stolen property report by email" (rookie cop narrating ) :oink:

May 24, 2002
Boulder CO
I haven't known for two weeks and done nothing. I've been trying to contact friends of Kyle's in the area so they could do it in person. I don't plan on the cops taking that email and going to recover the bike. I was more or less hoping for a phone call in which they could let me know what kind of help they could offer. I will be following up with a phone call later today, I just wanted them to have something to go off of, (pictures, references etc)

If I could personally go down to the police station I'de love to but that's not going to happen!

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
Everyone understands :)

neversummersnow

A little far away from AZ to just make a trip like that. Calling the Local police is about all you can do. You gotta do it right in order to get it back. There's so many people on here though that live in the area and hell even the person who makes them would do whatever it took to get it back. There's enough support to get it back.

Good luck again though. It's good to know everything is as close as it is. Keep everyone posted :)

May 24, 2002
Boulder CO
One more thing, I don't think...

A) The guy actually stole the bike and has any clue what he has...
B) The bike is going anywhere anytime soon...

Anybody that wants his address to confront the guy is welcome. He has a wife who is a nurse and is a rancher/farmer or something himself. Doesn't seem like the kind of guy to take a bike out of a garage (never know though). Regardless, I'de be willing to bet he bought it off some guy for nearly nothing at all....and whoever gets it, I will pay to get the bike shipped to Kyle's parents...

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
neversummersnow said:
I haven't known for two weeks and done nothing. I've been trying to contact friends of Kyle's in the area so they could do it in person. I don't plan on the cops taking that email and going to recover the bike. I was more or less hoping for a phone call in which they could let me know what kind of help they could offer. I will be following up with a phone call later today, I just wanted them to have something to go off of, (pictures, references etc)

If I could personally go down to the police station I'de love to but that's not going to happen!
not bagging on you bro...I was just adding some dramatic comedy to the scenario.

It would be novel and hilarious to hear it on Cops.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
I've spoken to several cops who told me all they can do is "knock and talk", which will cause the bike to disappear...

I got the name of a woman who was close to Kyle, as well as one of his buds and shared the info, who said they were gonna show up "in force" to ask for the bike back or call the cops. I told them I would love to be part of it, but at least call me back and let me know the outcome. I have not heard back. I will hopefully be posting good news soon.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
personally showing up and "removing" said item would be my avenue...but I don't play nice so I'm not the right person to be giving advise. One local shop owner had a guy write a bad check for a bike..found out where he lived...and pulled up in his yard with a 4 man goon squad...the guy gave him the back back.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
bring pictures/description of the bike. I sure as hell would not be very receptive to 5 guys showing up at my door demanding my bike, but if you have pictures that can prove that its the only one in existance, he might be a little more understanding.

gschuette

Monkey
Sep 22, 2004
Truck
So almost a month and no bike yet?

A large group of guys with some big trucks and guns should get the message across. J/K I do hope you guys get the bike back. Good luck on the vigilante justice thing.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
I talked to some people last night and was told that: "The roomate had a detective involved and I think he's talked to the guy with the bike..."

Of course this came as sad news since the bike would not stick around if a cop comes up without a warrant...

I'm pizzed about this and will continue to try to find information.