Quantcast

Stolen BCD---Keep your eyes open---

tmx

aka chromegoddess
Mar 16, 2003
Portland
Very cool.

If this case ends up convicting the perpetrator we might need some new RM stickers.

WARNING: THIS BIKE TRACKED BY RIDEMONKEY GLOBAL POSITIONING SYSTEM. IT WILL BE TRACKED DOWN AND YOU WILL BE CONVICTED TO FULLEST EXTENT OF THE LAW.

RMGPS fo life!

coma13

Turbo Monkey
Feb 14, 2006
Very cool.

If this case ends up convicting the perpetrator we might need some new RM stickers.

WARNING: THIS BIKE TRACKED BY RIDEMONKEY GLOBAL POSITIONING SYSTEM. IT WILL BE TRACKED DOWN AND YOU WILL BE CONVICTED TO FULLEST EXTENT OF THE LAW.

RMGPS fo life!
Hahahahaha... speaking of recovering stolen bikes; did any of those stolen Brooklyns ever get discovered?

tmx

aka chromegoddess
Mar 16, 2003
Portland
Hey, thanks for asking and pardon the following thread derailment: The racelink was recovered. The dude was arrested three days after the heist and was in jail two weeks for possession of stolen goods. Long list of previous convictions. Released on bail.

Even though it was the guy Joe suspected to be the thief and the dude was seen in Manhattan riding two other bikes stolen in the heist prior to his arrest, the Manh Asst Dist Attny is having a hard time elevating the possession of stolen goods to grand theft larceny because he seems unable to connect the two cases. Some crap about the heist being in Bklyn and the possession being in Manhattan. Every time the ADA calls me regarding another postponed court date (I'm a witness for having recovered the racelink) I remind him that this case must be connected to the grand theft in Bklyn and the Bklyn Dt must contact the eye-witnesses. "Oh right, yeah, I haven't heard back from him. I'll give him another call."

That's right, the Bklyn detective assigned to the grand theft case has still not contacted the two eye-witnesses Doc came up with through speaking with the shop's neighbors. One witness stood three feet away: "Two suspicious characters quickly turned away from what they were doing when I walked up to my door". They were attempting to enter from a side ally door (to no avail, so they ended up yanking a door frame completely off the wall). There was evidence of aggressive tampering on the door this guy's referring to. The lock and knob have since been replaced and our calls to the Dt are waning.

Joe said he knew the perpetrator because they grew up in the same neighborhood on the Lower East Side (on the same block he was seen riding three of the six stolen bikes.) He said he's a notorious theif with a penchant for high end bikes. Joe let him into the shop two months prior to the crime and told the cops he could tell he was casing the joint.

coma13

Turbo Monkey
Feb 14, 2006
Hey, thanks for asking and pardon the following thread derailment: The racelink was recovered. The dude was arrested three days after the heist and was in jail two weeks for possession of stolen goods. Long list of previous convictions. Released on bail.

Even though it was the guy Joe suspected to be the thief and the dude was seen in Manhattan riding two other bikes stolen in the heist prior to his arrest, the Manh Asst Dist Attny is having a hard time elevating the possession of stolen goods to grand theft larceny because he seems unable to connect the two cases. Some crap about the heist being in Bklyn and the possession being in Manhattan. Every time the ADA calls me regarding another postponed court date (I'm a witness for having recovered the racelink) I remind him that this case must be connected to the grand theft in Bklyn and the Bklyn Dt must contact the eye-witnesses. "Oh right, yeah, I haven't heard back from him. I'll give him another call."

That's right, the Bklyn detective assigned to the grand theft case has still not contacted the two eye-witnesses Doc came up with through speaking with the shop's neighbors. One witness stood three feet away: "Two suspicious characters quickly turned away from what they were doing when I walked up to my door". They were attempting to enter from a side ally door (to no avail, so they ended up yanking a door frame completely off the wall). There was evidence of aggressive tampering on the door this guy's referring to. The lock and knob have since been replaced and our calls to the Dt are waning.

Joe said he knew the perpetrator because they grew up in the same neighborhood on the Lower East Side (on the same block he was seen riding three of the six stolen bikes.) He said he's a notorious theif with a penchant for high end bikes. Joe let him into the shop two months prior to the crime and told the cops he could tell he was casing the joint.
Ugh... sorry to hear it's being dragged out so much... Seems like a theme for this thread.

</ derailment>

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
The saga continues...

A detective called me last week and we met yesterday for him to get up to speed on the case and to subpeona me to testify on 5/8/07. He says that despite me not knowing Kyle, this thread has become important to the case.

Apparently the prosecutor is very impressed with the amount of support coming from Ridemonkey and the mountain biking community in general that she is charging him with a count 3 felony. Very serious, but she even considered more charges against this man.

The detective told me it was OK to to discuss the case, and I thought you monkeys would like the update.

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
Thanks SB. As someone who knew Kyle very well, this brings up sad memories, and I still question whether this theft had anything to do with his death that night.

That said, I hope they prosecute the thief to the fullest extent possible.

May 24, 2002
Boulder CO
I have also been subpeoned on the 8th. This is a HUGE problem for me being I'm in Colorado and graduating college during that time. HOpefully I can draft a letter that will stand as my testimony or something.

I hope this matter will finally come to a close soon...

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
This does bring up sad memories. I'm glad that the process is still in the works. I hope it will come to a swift resolution.

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
I still run across his account here \on ridemonkey when doing searches.

makes me realize how fragile life is......................:sniff:

May 24, 2002
Boulder CO
Flying down tomorrow for the trial. I'm pissed about missing work (and the money associated with that) but understand I have a solid amount of signifigance in this case and am happy to help.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Blast from the past. I still have Kyle's Evil hoody in my closet. I never wear it because I don't want to risk damaging it, but I just can't bear to put it into storage with the other 95% of my belongings. [and now I'm tearing up thinking about Kyle.] Let us know how it goes.

May 24, 2002
Boulder CO
Did the bike ever make it out of evidence? I just hope somebody other than the kid who stole it and the maricopa county evidence room has it in their posession. It was one of a kind.

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
Blast from the past. I still have Kyle's Evil hoody in my closet. I never wear it because I don't want to risk damaging it, but I just can't bear to put it into storage with the other 95% of my belongings. [and now I'm tearing up thinking about Kyle.] Let us know how it goes.
When I went back for the memorial, his family was going through all his belongings. I felt guilty taking anything (even things that had previously belonged to me that I had just left when I moved out). When asked if I wanted anything, the only thing I could think of was his little plastic armadillo horn he had on his SS. We had so many good SS rides.

Later, one of his close friends who was assisting his parents insisted I take his team outfit from when we raced together. It's folded up on a shelf in my closet. I had thought about using it in some sort of make shift memorial frame or something, but haven't. Sitting on top is the small horn.

Still miss Kyle everyday.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
Did the bike ever make it out of evidence? I just hope somebody other than the kid who stole it and the maricopa county evidence room has it in their posession. It was one of a kind.
I was not contacted again to appear in court, but as far as I know the bike is with the Mesa PD.

May 24, 2002
Boulder CO
Well, long story short, I ended up going to breakfest with Kyle's mom. I never knew the right thing to say, after all she reminded me SO much of my own mom it was beyond crazy. She's an outstanding lady and I was really happy to finally meet her face to face.

I did testify to the value of the bike and whatnot, I hope it helps. This guy is a real piece of work dragging this whole thing out so long after doing such a messed up thing.

Miss ya Kyle! You clearly have one of the biggest families on the planet!!!!