Quantcast

strengthening lower back

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
I don't have access to a gym, and the exercise equipment I have at home is pretty basic (bench with a few free weights).

Is there anything I can do at home to help strengthen my lower back muscles? After about 2.5 hours on the bike, my lower back feels it (definitely fatigue, not soreness) more than any other part of my body.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
You should work on your abs too then. Your core in general probably needs to be strengthened.

MudGrrl

AAAAH! Monkeys stole my math!
Mar 4, 2004
Boston....outside of it....
I was gonna say yoga......................

I had my first class two days ago....

and my entire core, as well as my upper body, feels worked. I can't slouch in my chair, because slouching hurts.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Heidi said:
You should work on your abs too then. Your core in general probably needs to be strengthened.
yea, but abs are pretty easy to work. I know the need to strenghten core muscles in general (not just for riding). I do work my abs, but lower back muscles are harder to target.

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
jacksonpt said:
Cool - I can do the deadlifts... I have the free weights for those.
...you need to work on muscular endurance not muscular power......at the start of the season it can take quite awhile to get the lower back in shape, you just have to get fitter with your pedal stroke......

afroboy

Chimp
Oct 23, 2001
Ottawa, Canada
I'll be another to recommend yoga. I have done weights and do yoga, and can attest, yoga is better. The pose pictured is very strenuous, and an excellent strengthener from the whole backside of your body. Yoga is the best compliment to riding I know if; it covers all the bases like nothing else - strength, flexibility, balance, focus, and meditation. All these aspects, in addition to the spiritual aspects that are more and less accentuated, will enrich your riding experiences and keep you healthier and perhaps happier. Try is for a while and see what you think; and remember, it is not a sport, so don't be competitive.

MudGrrl

Mar 4, 2004
weights are boring to me...

The hour that I did yoga went by fairly quickly, and I didn't feel like I was being beat. I am surprised that my muscles seem to be mad at me now.....

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
afroboy said:
I'll be another to recommend yoga. I have done weights and do yoga, and can attest, yoga is better. The pose pictured is very strenuous, and an excellent strengthener from the whole backside of your body. Yoga is the best compliment to riding I know if; it covers all the bases like nothing else - strength, flexibility, balance, focus, and meditation. All these aspects, in addition to the spiritual aspects that are more and less accentuated, will enrich your riding experiences and keep you healthier and perhaps happier. Try is for a while and see what you think; and remember, it is not a sport, so don't be competitive.
And breathing, don't forget breathing (which falls under focus i guess) One of the greatest things that i have gotten from yoga that has helped with my running and riding is learning to breath smoothly, and fluidly no matter how strenuous the exercise. I am not nearly as out of breath after climbs or long hills as i used to be because i have learned to control my breath.

Jayridesacove

Turbo Monkey
Feb 21, 2004
Falls Church, VA
try these three excercises[ignore the handstand push-up]:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/mahler19.htm

no weights are involved and you can do these anywhere there is free space on the floor.
the best thing is, you never have to work to failure or close to it. set a goal of reps for yourself and do it, then try the same amount the next day. in a week, see if you can beat the reps you've done the previous week.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
most of those are yoga moves too. in fact one sequence is the down dog into the up dog. get over your yoga issues boys, body builders do it too.

Jayridesacove

Turbo Monkey
Feb 21, 2004
Falls Church, VA
I know nothing of yoga, but I'm guessing you might be talking about the hindu pushup, which shares a similarity[they are not exactly the same] in form with the military "dive bomber pushup."

Anyway, that particular movement is nice, because you are using a number of different muscle groups to complete one repetition of the exercise.

MudGrrl

Mar 4, 2004
laura said:
most of those are yoga moves too. in fact one sequence is the down dog into the up dog. get over your yoga issues boys, body builders do it too.

well, you know, it's not yoga if you call it something different.
totally different stuff.

not even in the same ballpark.

no pansy would ever try anything like this

(gddmn, he's hot)

ooh, more hotness

whole lotta goodness here

'cause yoga is just for bored housewives who don't want to strain themselves too much.

sneakysnake

Monkey
Apr 2, 2006
NC
lay on somethingso that your waist up is off of it stomach down, then get a 25pound weight(or whatever fits you best) hold it across your chest so that each hand is grabbing the opposite shoulder. then go from about halfway down and straighten your back as straght as you can make it, and then just do that over and over.

i hope that makes at least a little sense

Sep 16, 2004
So I'm a body-builder and I don't consider myself a "girly man". yoga is a great work out, not only do you got stronger muscles you also lessen the chance of injury during a crash. DON'T DO DEAD-LIFTS UNLESS YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING!

Slider

Monkey
May 23, 2004
Moscow, ID
Here is the deal on lifting don't worry about less than par equipment you don't need a bow flex to get a good core. Number 1, 90% percent of everything you read is desighned for body builders. Tehcnicaly they are athletes but honestly there body's are not desighned to move just look good. So forget the benches, everyone go's to the gym and 95% of there articulations are on a hard stiff bench from the presses to curls where you have the bench on your back and then every one says "why do i have a weak bacK?". The answer is lookin us all in the face and it is...... you don't you use your back. In all honesty it is a health club scam, they are there to make money(bottom line) so how do they push all there x-tra back buster tummy tightening aerobic classes if you are actualy working your core?? They can't so they lie to you and tell you this is for this and that is for that. What is the Answer?? I have a 2 part solution.... #1 Higher the dude from kungfu the legend and have him drop kick your bench in half. that solves the biggest problem. #2 buy A swiss ball(20 bucks) and learn how to do all your movements on them seated curls, benchpress, seated military press, curls......etc. Now that you are lifting on a "unstable" surface your core is going bonkers through the whole work out. That is why your lifted weight drasticly will go down on a swiss ball because you can't isolate totaly and you have energy going in all directions. and holding that good Form we al love so much will blast your core. If you do a 45 min program and hit every major muscle group in your body and use a swiss ball in every possible scenario every inch of your core will get Hammered with out you even trying. So that means you can total throw your boring ab work out away!!! and no more annoying people in camo..in a gym....with a cordless mic telling you to push it harder. When all you can think about is why are they wearing camo in a building????

I am not saying Gyms are wrong or bad Just they are there to make money so they sell the round about way. If you have time for all that it is great it promotes a great social time alot of fast paced people lack. This is hands down the best solution you will find that works. For athletes who Move, All you need is a swiss ball and some dumb bells. you can do it in your yard / living room/ or where ever you can think of. Just becasue it doesn't hurt doesn't mean it isn't working

DORO

Monkey
Jun 15, 2006
buy one of those swedish balls and there is endless stuff you can do to work the core. Remember your abs a fundamental balance in protecting and strenghing your lower back.

Slider

Monkey
May 23, 2004
Moscow, ID
You wanna feel real amaizing learn to stand on a swiss ball once you get this circus trick figured start doing unwaited squats through your entire range of motion. Now that is a core workout that will knock your socks off while completly captivating every living thing with in eye sight of you.

Slider

Monkey
May 23, 2004
Moscow, ID
firestorm said:
This is the answer to the question that should have appeared 1st because it's the best answer.
thats what my post was about but a proactive way in doing it that promotes totaly body fitness