Quantcast

Strongest DH cranks?

sayndesyn

Turbo Monkey
I seem to be going through cranks lately and have bought a cheap set of 60 buck ISIS FSA's instead of replacing the Holzfellers which replaced the other MegaExo FSA's I bent. Are the profile cranks damn near impossible to bend? I've never bent Diabolus cranks, but I haven't given them any time on the super low Sunday. If anyone here actually has bent the Profiles let me know. Trying to decide if it is cheaper to buy and bend a couple of cheap cranks every so often, or buy something that may actually last... Hopefully this is just a phase I'm going through, and I'll actually learn when not to pedal...

konastab01

Turbo Monkey
Dec 7, 2004
Hey dude,
Try Middleburn RS7s.
Super light yet still super strong.Also there warrenty is second too none

A.P

Monkey
Nov 21, 2005
boston
konastab01 said:
Hey dude,
Try Middleburn RS7s.
Super light yet still super strong.Also there warrenty is second too none
Except the warranty doesnt include tapers, splines, or threads which are 99 percent of peoples problems.

I know how you feel, ive gone through a couple sets of cranks adjusting to a low bb.

If you go profiles, you are going to have to find a wicked long spindle to fit the 83mm bb of the sunday. It might not be possible.

SXtrailrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 27, 2005
yeah im looking for cranks. weight kinda matters but im looking for ones that will take a lot of wear, not abuse. I don't plan to do anything but regular DH riding. the cranks that i have now become loose a lot and are making me go through a lot of BBs. I was looking into Hone cranks, but the new 07 truvativ stuff looks nice to. middleburns seem like they would be a pain to deal with. since they are so light im not expecting them to handle a lot of wear, and dealing with them in UK for the warranty would be a hassle. I already have to do that with me hope brakes. So any other recommendation. Anything you DH riders swear by.

Banga

Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Wellington, New Zealand
Ive had a good run with my saints, Ive whacked them a fair bit too
10" travel and 170mm cranks not cool.
Havent had a single problem,
Ive heard of profiles bending, profro?
Nothings unbreakable really.

reidhresko

Chimp
Jun 27, 2006
PRB
running diabolus 165mm cranks on an intense m3 with a bb height of 14". I have banged the cranks on about 20 rocks/obstacles a day for 25+ days now due to the ultra low bb height and they remain straight as a mother****er...

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
I went thourgh two set of FSA V-drive and a pair of Gravity on my Sunday. This year 165 Profiles with TI spindle and no problems. I also like that the pedal spindle sit so close to the end of the crank hit even less.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
The V-Drives suck, but how did you kill the Gravitys? They're the size of my arm. In any case, the 4130s are going to be even beefier than the aluminum ones...

mxer338

Monkey
May 9, 2005
CT
another vote for the fsa pounders. i have 165's on my sgs (lower bb than a sunday) and have had zero problems. i even sheared a mallet off the spindle with them but the crank was fine. whacked em on stuff all day when i was first gettin used to the bike, no problems what so ever. also the crankarm also doesnt stick out far past the pedal insert area, so it give you even more clearnce when pedaling compared to some others.

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
I've had good luck with Saints on my Sunday. The FSA Gravity spider bent pretty quickly and I replaced them with the Saints. They are taking a beating, but holding up nicely. CBJ makes a great point about the Profiles - the pedal bosses being so low profile does help with a little more clearance.

SteezyWeezy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2006
portland, oregon
so what is the difference between cromo cranks and alluminum, besides the metal, are the cromo's stronger? im also looking for some cranks for my rig im bulding, and te fsa's look apealing

frznnomad

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
a-town biatches
i have a good friend running diablous on his sunday elite and he seems to have no gripes from them, and they are still straight to my knowledge. so i say get 165mm diablous and you will be fine man

Cave Dweller

Monkey
May 6, 2003
I have bent a profile spindle and a profile arm.

The spindle bent as there was close to 1 1/2 to 2 inchs of spacers between the BB and the crank arm (on an old super 8, 165mm rear end with a 67mm bb shell).

The profile arms are also light weight for chromo, 2 175mm arms weigh approx 540 grams not including spider. Profiles pick up alot of weight in the bb and spindles (a chromo spindle is about 310 grams, the weight of an ISIS bb alone)

That said both were replaced no questions under lifetime warranty. Nothings indestructible, but these add a whole heap of reliability for a little extra weight.

They also have adjustable chain line and if you use the FSA euro bb they are piss easy to set up and maintain. I have been running the same bearings for 2 years and they still spin freely.

I wouldn't go race face, they are heavier then profiles, i would think about going saints but im happy at the moment.

Monkeybidnezz

Turbo Monkey
Dec 16, 2003
Pac NW
Don't the Diablo's have the lifetime as well? Seems like if you have any issues you can send them in. I never used them for my turbines, but I've heard pretty good things about the warranty returns.

Personally I would go with the Saints. Lighter and better bearings and super strong..

frznnomad

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
a-town biatches
im pretty sure that the diablous does have a lifetime warrenty for them and the good thing is that also includes the bb as well. so you trash anything on those cranks then no questions asked replacement.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
blue said:
The V-Drives suck, but how did you kill the Gravitys? They're the size of my arm. In any case, the 4130s are going to be even beefier than the aluminum ones...
High speed crash into some rocks and the pedal pointed upwards with the pedal insert bend and broken.

.Pit Steelers.

Nostradumbass
Jun 18, 2006
Hawaii
frznnomad said:
im pretty sure that the diablous does have a lifetime warrenty for them and the good thing is that also includes the bb as well. so you trash anything on those cranks then no questions asked replacement.

The bb has a 1 year warranty not life time, unless your taking about the spindle.....but that's pretty much part of the crank scince it is pressed in.

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
Well I really like the RF cranks. I have been smacking my evolves into stuff for a few months now with no issues. They are heavy as hell but if they don't break then I don't mind.

Zoso

Monkey
Jan 31, 2003
Seattle
06 holzfellers, 83mm howitzer bb. Super stiff, not overly heavy, very clean look. Available as short as 165's for Sunday's/low bb bikes. We've been putting them on Rotec's/M3's/other 83 mm shell bikes and they are some of the stiffest cranks I've seen. I like the fact that the arms press on individually, instead of having a pressed in spindle. If you were to some how bend/break a spindle, you only have to replace the bb, not the arm as well.

J

J5ive

I don't dig mine. I believe they actually weigh more than the saints, the BB is crazy heavy. I think I'm also starting to have interface problems, just 3 months in- and yes, always tight. warrenty seems the goods though.

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
motomike said:
According to Shimano, Saint cranks are 100% stronger than their XTR cranks...random fact of the day.
mathematically that means that they are twice the strenght of the xtrs. (pls correct me if i am wrong)
according to the test run by sram, the diablos was the strongest crank between the new truvativ crank, saint and diablos. but by just a little. so since the saints are lil lighter and basically the same strenght, i would hit them. wait, i already use them.:sneaky:

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
sayndesyn said:
Yeah, I'd say they are in the running... Congrats on the result Brian. Don't get those Rotec's nabbed in Whistler eh.
i dunno sam, but i m thinning out the crap to make way for a new trail bike... i m going to sell my 165 profiles at some stage...i have a 6 7/8" axel as well that would need to be trimmed down somewhat (i assume) for the 83 mm bb... i ran it with my 100mm bb shell... maybe trim off 17mm and re tap ???... lemme know if ya slightly interested before i advertise em...

later

Superdeft

Monkey
Dec 4, 2003
East Coast
I have read from one of those SRAM camp writeups that the new OCT holz cranks are stronger than both Saint and Diablous. All of these, however, are probably not as strong as profile SS cranks. Those things are nuts, but very heavy.

w00dy

In heaven there is no beer
Jun 18, 2004
that's why we drink it here
I run nothing but profile cranks on my bmx and mountain bikes. I'm a 200 lb masher, and over the past 8 years since I started riding them I've busted 3 profile arms. 2 of them had significant damage from grinding prior to going. The other just took too many drops to flat when I was just begining. All of them were warranteed. For the money you won't find anything stronger.

Pick up a used set for about $70, throw in a ti spindle for about that much and you have a bomb-proof setup that is half the price and a half pound lighter than the saints.

SXtrailrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 27, 2005
J5ive said:
I don't dig mine. I believe they actually weigh more than the saints, the BB is crazy heavy. I think I'm also starting to have interface problems, just 3 months in- and yes, always tight. warrenty seems the goods though.
What cranks are you tallking about?

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
SteezyWeezy said:
no, i think he was talking about the hone's, i asked about them.
If you had read it you would realize the he was talking about holzfellers. Read the way he describes the BB.

Anyways hones are just re-badged LX's. Saints are far stronger.

SteezyWeezy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2006
portland, oregon
Dogboy said:
Are you serious? Is your reading comprehension that bad?
:stosh:
you guys dont have to be douche bags, sorry i misunderstood the guy, i dont know that much about cranks, thats why im here, im building my first bike, and i just wanted help, not flaming...

Monkeybidnezz

Turbo Monkey
Dec 16, 2003
Pac NW
w00dy said:
I
Pick up a used set for about $70, throw in a ti spindle for about that much and you have a bomb-proof setup that is half the price and a half pound lighter than the saints.
Sorry if this is a noob question, but I'm not familiar with the Profiles. Can they be set up with 2 rings? I use my DH bike as a light ride trail bike too, so I need two rings to make it work.

Thanks.