Quantcast

Sugar Mtn Pics

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
Since i had to leave earlier than expected, i guess i'll go ahead and post the pics i got on friday. a few from pro quals and some from the am's finals.

btw, major props to juan and chuck for the Ds course. i had to bow out of racing this year due to my shoulder injury but my son had a blast on the course. he was stoked to be the youngest racer on the mountain by over 4 years. the crowd was great as usual and there seemed to be a much larger DS turnout than DH...but then again, i really wasn't paying attention to the DH this time around.
the Cycletherapy crew put up a good show for our first year with a team member on the podium in just about every category.
the kid that won the 14 and under class was the epitome of what racing is all about. he was 13, i think, and WAAAAY bigger than noah but he kept it slow and hung back during his run w/ noah so that it didn't look like such a blowout. then, during awards, noah was in the 4th place spot on the ground and the same kid put him up on the first place box w/ him and it totally made noah's day :thumb: i'll get his name from the results later and remember it for sure.

anyway, onto pics. (as you'll see, i'm not a pro photog like highrevs...just a dabbler with a low camera budget ;) )

my favorite of what i have. one of the morewood boys smokin' the soft berm

noah following me down, trying to figure out the whole flag business

coolest racer on the mountain...Andy Devault way ahead of the competition, railing the berm

noah off the log drop thingy

noah at the gate against a super cool 13 yr old

motomike (check the chick in the green shirt behind him checking out his...uh...style ;) )

herndon

Random Riders (mostly from pro quals)

the after DS party at the Cycletherapy tent. a grip of cool points to Mike Cobler (mikedsx) for living the dream, opening his own shop and supporting the locals :thumb:

noah..."And What?!!!

back of jersey

the crib

Andy Devault admiring his rad wife :thumb: (mike cobler and mrs. manimal cut off in the left side of pic)

on the podium

old man pete

pre-race entertainment

noah's traveling cheerleaders and the reason i didn't stay on saturday...these girls are a handful on the mountain!

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
thats great to see your kid out there doing it.

but man, that looks more like a local than a nat,

where have all the big classic nats gone.

Peete

Turbo Monkey
May 5, 2002
just south of the ATL
Brandon, Chuck Pitts is racing for Profile and has the tan lid.
Big props to Juan and Chuck for the course. It took a beating and held up well.
The kids race was fantastic. It's a shame more kids didn't come out and ride it. Adam got the bug to get back on his bike and start racing again. We'll see ya'll at Hobby and possibly Wolf Laurel.

Your daughters are too cute to be yours. Have you found their father yet to thank him?:banana:

It was good to see everyone again. I went by the Psycho Therepy tent saturday on our way out and Mike wasn't around. Sorry I missed ya.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
thats great to see your kid out there doing it.

but man, that looks more like a local than a nat,

where have all the big classic nats gone.

Yeah, overall turnout was kinda weak but i actually prefer the old local sugar race to the overpriced nat. used to be about $50 for two days of lift practice, two race runs and sometimes even a buffet afterward. now it's $55 just to race plus the lift ticket and less ride time. go figure.

yeah, ryan mcgibony...that's it. a bunch of cool points his way :thumb:

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
That's awesome. The shot of him at the gate is priceless.

To think that in a couple more years, the 13 year olds will be getting smoked by a 9 year old.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Your daughters are too cute to be yours. Have you found their father yet to thank him?:banana:
Oh they're his. He didn't post a pic of the two girls diggin' in the dirt like badgers!:D

Peete said:
That's because you weren't there.
Yeah...let's see what locals didn't race.
JeffD
Brady
McCoy - protesting in his special way
Braswell
Doug
Jeremy - in Vegas
Matt - in purgatory
Harley & Kevin Addair and Ben Shaner (all 3 present)
Brian Quillen
All of the Windrock guys
Tons and tons of guys from Asheville, Morganton, Hickory, Winston and on down the state.
Anyone from Snowshoe except Trevyn (who did good!).

And those who came back out:
Terry Hinton (recovered from Sugar last yr)
Chuck Pitts (1st Semi-Pro DH action in ages)
FENNEL - instead of rockin' a pink t-shirt he simply rocked a women's bike and Jammed! :thumb:

JeffD

Monkey
Mar 23, 2002
Macon, GA
Brady and I had to choose between Sugar and next week's SS race - you can figger which one won out (can't speak for Brady but the final dealbreaker was the Super D starting late Sunday afternoon).

Brian's in France for work.

Oct 26, 2001
God Hole NC
Harley & Kevin Addair and Ben Shaner (all 3 present)
Harley did race and won his class ;) Kevin does not have a bike but they are both hoping to get out again next year. Ben said he just has been too busy to be out on the bike.

Also not racing were many of the normal Raleigh racers...you know who you are!!:brows:

adevault

Chimp
Sep 29, 2004
tubby--thanks for being there and taking the pics--noah rocked it!!! he is definitely a crowd favorite--heal up soon so you can get back out there---CYCLETHERAPY BABY!!!!!!

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Oh they're his. He didn't post a pic of the two girls diggin' in the dirt like badgers!:D
yeah, we gave up trying to keep them even remotely clean after about 10 minutes. they discovered about every mudhole between the tent and the DS course. well, that and chasing after our two chi-waaa-waaa's didn't help either.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Harley did race and won his class ;) Kevin does not have a bike but they are both hoping to get out again next year. Ben said he just has been too busy to be out on the bike.
Really? I saw Harley & Keving from inside the lodge, went out and they were gone. Never saw them again.

Oh...my race story. 1 hour before Semi-Pro, I ask Mike Cobler to help me change my tires out. He helps. And spots my derailleur hanger is tweeked and straightens it. Then he says..."you're cable's frayed" and I thought..so what. He says'No...bad!" and goes ripping my stuff apart. Well, my cable is coiled up from 1 end all the way to the other. Worst part..it's been shredding itself inside the shifter. There were like 30 pieces inside and he disassembled the whole thing and had me running just in time.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Really? I saw Harley & Keving from inside the lodge, went out and they were gone. Never saw them again.

Oh...my race story. 1 hour before Semi-Pro, I ask Mike Cobler to help me change my tires out. He helps. And spots my derailleur hanger is tweeked and straightens it. Then he says..."you're cable's frayed" and I thought..so what. He says'No...bad!" and goes ripping my stuff apart. Well, my cable is coiled up from 1 end all the way to the other. Worst part..it's been shredding itself inside the shifter. There were like 30 pieces inside and he disassembled the whole thing and had me running just in time.
straight skippy! mike's the man :thumb:

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Sweet shots from the race, man! Them 13 year olds are definitely gonna have to watch out for Noah in a couple of years!

I agree with BDC... where HAVE all the big Nats gone? Crankworx was at the same time, kind of a drag but that's how it goes I suppose.

Chucky Pitts... that guy is quality. Met him last season when he road-tripped out to CO to race one of the MSC races, great guy and super fast. Stoked to hear he's still out there gettin' it.

tmx

aka chromegoddess
Mar 16, 2003
Portland
i'm in search of some shots of the ulmers from this race. yeah, both of them, i hear the old man pinned it too.

btw, did anyone cover sugar for litter?

EDIT: i meant to include that those are really cool shots manimal and i'm a lurking fan enjoying your sons progress through your postings on this site. cheers! :)

highrevs

Monkey
Oct 13, 2005
NC
highrevs...please tell me you got a pic of 321? :D
Nah, sorry dude… I kept an eye out for the Butch jersey, but wrong place wrong time kinda thing. I mainly chased the pro DS and DH this past weekend.

I was sort of on a mission playing with lighting techniques and really only trying to come up with just a handful of quality shots. Plus the weather was a bit of a deterrent during Saturday’s DH….

On Sunday as I was wandering down to the dungeon for the pro DH and grabbed a few shots of the semi-pro DH, but only 3-4. I’ll have see what I have later tonight.

I must say, some of my best bike photos happened this past weekend. :brows:

highrevs

Monkey
Oct 13, 2005
NC
I wanna see what your slalom pics came out like, with that crazy light you were using..
I prettymuch used the same setup in the woods on sunday. There are few hot ones for sure, although some of them will not be released immediately for public viewing. :thumb: