Quantcast

Sunday shock: avy chubie, fox dhx, marzocchi roco??

marra

Chimp
Apr 22, 2005
Hi,
i know that this is like the million post about IH Sunday but hope that this post help some people. i have searched all this forum but there is nothing concrete of what shock is better.

My question is what shock would be better for a sunday considering the fact of the special valving that this bike needs , would the roco or the dhx come with the correct valving (consider that i live in chile and here there are no place that i can take the shock for valving it)??
is necesary the chubie($550) or a montie could do the job ($400)

thanks

Attachments

RaID

Turbo Monkey
afaik when buying any of the mass produced shocks in your case DHX or Roco the standard valving would be incorrect for the sunday, hence you would require the shop your buying it from to valve it correctly to suit the sunday

the avys on the otherhand are are customed valved to your specific needs hence ther shouldnt be anyproblems there,

personally out of that list id be going for the chubie

Thrillkil

Monkey
May 25, 2005
Isla Vista, CA
If you use the bike for one specific purpose (i.e. DH racing, or general trail use), the Avy Monotube is a fine option. Otherwise, the the piggyback shock would probably be the better option. If you are going to get the piggyback shock, it might be a good idea to wait until the high/low speed compression adjuster is integrated into the shock.

seismic

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2003
South East Asia
Thrillkil said:
If you use the bike for one specific purpose (i.e. DH racing, or general trail use), the Avy Monotube is a fine option. Otherwise, the the piggyback shock would probably be the better option. If you are going to get the piggyback shock, it might be a good idea to wait until the high/low speed compression adjuster is integrated into the shock.
Yeah...the hi/lo comp adjuster is quite interesting, but I wonder what it will mean to the price of a new DHS......:)

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
And dont forget the Cane Creek Ohlins shock.

I'm trying to decide what to put on my bike with my tax return.

I'd considering;

Marzocchi Rocco
Cane Creek Ohlins
Avalanche (the one with the bladder resevior)
Pushing the DHX-C

I'm leaning towards the Ohlins at this point.

seismic

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2003
South East Asia
....I am not saying that the Ohlins is not good, but I would recommend the Avy......but is also depends on the bike...what do you ride ?

TurnerDHRider

Monkey
Jul 5, 2004
Sydney, Australia
Hey hey...i recently got an avy chubie on my sunday...and all i can say is WOW....i couldnt tell you much yet...becasue i am having some problems with my bike at the moment...but...DEFINITELY get it...srsly...its soooo smooothh...takes everything you shove in its path...its really really plush....i thought Craig at Avy valved it too light when i was sitting on it...but when i took it to the trails....the shocked ramped up at the end of its stroke to prevent bottomming...its GREAT...sorry cant give you detailed review...hopefully soon..but check out the pics from the thread i started a few weeks ago

http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=140925

have fun
KC

marra

Chimp
Apr 22, 2005
thanks guy!

how much time do you think that is taking to have the hi/low compresion?? the price is gonna be the same??

thanks again

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
seismic said:
....I am not saying that the Ohlins is not good, but I would recommend the Avy......but is also depends on the bike...what do you ride ?
Can you read a post before saying Avy - the thread is called Sunday Shock :rolleyes:

Anyway few people has ridden the Sunday with anything but the 5th Element and what shock to ride depends on what you like to ride, how much you like to adjust your shock, how much you need to change your settings, how you ride, what fork you run etc.

gangstamaxx

Monkey
Sep 12, 2005
CT
Dhx would be my first choice...i have one on my whip and absolutely love it...as long as getting it valved wouldnt be a problem for you then get it. If that would be a problem, I guess you could always join the avy cult....

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
gangstamaxx said:
Dhx would be my first choice...i have one on my whip and absolutely love it...as long as getting it valved wouldnt be a problem for you then get it. If that would be a problem, I guess you could always join the avy cult....
Fox are good shocks we all need something to hold down the papers on our desks. :D
Pull the spring off and you have a pen holder. :D
Fox dhx's are great shocks not my choice but I have buddies that ride them and love them. (they can't afford an avy right now)

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
i would say dont go for the dhx coz its has a platform, even when the propedal is at the min setting, you can still feel it blowing off. and i am stiil not sure about the durability of a roco, coz romour has it that gracia was running a dhx for most of the time he was on the judge. prolly best to go with the custom tuned avy.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Untrue regarding Gracia not riding the Roco - big post about the recently.

The two times I have felt spun around on a Sunday with a DHX I did not feel any platform and this was on pavement with a more lively feel than the 5th Element (both shock were correctly tuned for the Sunday).

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
dhkid said:
i would say dont go for the dhx coz its has a platform, even when the propedal is at the min setting, you can still feel it blowing off. and i am stiil not sure about the durability of a roco, coz romour has it that gracia was running a dhx for most of the time he was on the judge. prolly best to go with the custom tuned avy.
The DHX and the 5th Element shocks can actually be tuned so there is basically no "platform". This is part of the tuning when Fox & Progressive tune the shocks for Sundays. The "platform" is used for bottom out control.

-ska todd

Sep 10, 2001
dhkid said:
Cedric was on the ROCO for most of the last season.. On his 4x bike he rode a Fox because he wanted to keep it light weight with an air shock on the back and we didn't have anything, yet... Check the news section on the Marzocchi site for an update on Cedric's new bike..

As for the ROCO on a Sunday, we haven't had to revalve the shock yet for any of the bikes we have tested on... I don't think a Sunday is on the list of test bikes yet... Hey Todd, want to send me a bike for testing? LOL

Brian

seismic

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2003
South East Asia
CBJ said:
Can you read a post before saying Avy - the thread is called Sunday Shock :rolleyes:

Anyway few people has ridden the Sunday with anything but the 5th Element and what shock to ride depends on what you like to ride, how much you like to adjust your shock, how much you need to change your settings, how you ride, what fork you run etc.

Well....it was in reply to jm's post and I dont know if he rides a Sunday..... Otherwise...I think (IMO) it is quite few bikes that would ride worse with an Avy.I know some people prefer the DHX or 5th because they want the adjustments, but I still think (in general) that the Avy is a nicer shock. I know, it is all about personal opinions......

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
RaID said:
afaik when buying any of the mass produced shocks in your case DHX or Roco the standard valving would be incorrect for the sunday, hence you would require the shop your buying it from to valve it correctly to suit the sunday

the avys on the otherhand are are customed valved to your specific needs hence ther shouldnt be anyproblems there,

personally out of that list id be going for the chubie
Well, the rocco does have very light compression damping, as compared to many shocks these days that sacrifice shock absorption for a little bit better pedaling performance (more low speed compression damping).

In addition, something like a DHX can be tuned by Push, so the stock settings are not a problem in that case.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
CBJ said:
Don't you know there is a now a RM consensus that the 5th Element is not a good shock.
Well, it doesn't suspend as well as others. That doesn't mean that it's a bad shock, but it does mean that it doesn't suspend as well (absorb bumps, etc)...

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
I will run the DHX on my Sunday this year after a 2004 on a 222 with a 5th and 2005 on a Sunday with a 5th. It will be interesting to see the difference on the same bike.

gangstamaxx

Monkey
Sep 12, 2005
CT
bullcrew said:
Fox are good shocks we all need something to hold down the papers on our desks. :D
Pull the spring off and you have a pen holder. :D
Fox dhx's are great shocks not my choice but I have buddies that ride them and love them. (they can't afford an avy right now)
I don't know, I like my fox alot. I could get an avy if I wanted to, but i dont feel the need to...a DHX 5.0 is a pretty sufficient shock for a 16 year old expert class racer in my opinion...

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
Brian Peterson said:
As for the ROCO on a Sunday, we haven't had to revalve the shock yet for any of the bikes we have tested on... I don't think a Sunday is on the list of test bikes yet... Hey Todd, want to send me a bike for testing? LOL
We rcvd one from Rogers but the head has to be filed down some for it to clear the shock shuttle.

-ska todd

MOTODH

Turbo Monkey
Mar 28, 2005
CT
I am very interested in the roco shock, possibly my first pick when involving price as well, love the simple adjustments and lack of platform

Sep 10, 2001
ska todd said:
We rcvd one from Rogers but the head has to be filed down some for it to clear the shock shuttle.

-ska todd
Dammit Tom...LOL

Interested in how it works.... Bryson was liking the feel of his Hollowpoint with a ROCO on there...

Brian

manwithgun

Monkey
Nov 4, 2004
CBJ said:
This is very true, and one of the reasons the dhx works so well with the Sunday. I've been running mine for the past six months or so after being unable to come to terms with the 5th. To begin with, I ran the fox at 90psi, 1 turn BO, no PP; cadillac style. Great for the long epic Garbonzo runs, a bit lazy on corner exits and pumps. Currently, I'm running 200psi, full BO, full PP, and liking that beast as well. You're feeling all of the edges but you can ride much more agressively through the rough stuff. I won't say that the fox is any better than the others, just that it enables you more options to suit your mood or style

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
Brian Peterson said:
Cedric was on the ROCO for most of the last season.. On his 4x bike he rode a Fox because he wanted to keep it light weight with an air shock on the back and we didn't have anything, yet... Check the news section on the Marzocchi site for an update on Cedric's new bike..
sorry about that, in that case the roco should be perfect for the sunday coz it doesn't have a platform? no need to send it for any revalving...

Sep 10, 2001
I won't say it will be perfect because I haven't heard anything yet... But since IH has a ROCO for testing, I am sure we will hear about it soon enough...

Brian

MOTODH

Turbo Monkey
Mar 28, 2005
CT
dhkid said:
sorry about that, in that case the roco should be perfect for the sunday coz it doesn't have a platform? no need to send it for any revalving...

I would assume it still needs a revalve because the platform is not the only internal change, I too am anxious for the review

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
Thrillkil said:
has anyone heard performance reports about that new silly-expensive manitou shock?
The Revox does not come close to fitting on the Sunday, even w/ the DHX link on.

-ska todd