Quantcast

sunday, sunday...

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
updog said:
The 40 is the best.

The tape is coming off once I get clear tape. And yes, the shock is tuned perfect. No propedal, minimum air, and hardly any rebound. You don't need a platform shock on the bike. I tried the stock 5th, that is supposedly valved for it, and it took almost 2 seconds to rebound back on full fast.

Right now the bike is around 38 pounds, and it will be getting lighter once I get some new wheels :nuts:
Sounds like you got a incorrectly tuned 5th I think a few were? Mine works great and I have no complaints and it matches the Boxxer perfectly.

38 pounds? Acadians was 41 1/2 with very similar parts. I see you have a ti spring but what else can give the weight saving. Acadians also has the US frame kit which is claimed to be lighter than the Tawian frame on the WC.

sama1ter

Monkey
Apr 29, 2004
The OC
CBJ said:
38 pounds? Acadians was 41 1/2 with very similar parts. I see you have a ti spring but what else can give the weight saving. Acadians also has the US frame kit which is claimed to be lighter than the Tawian frame on the WC.

his build isnt even remotely close?

1. boxxer
2. cranks
3. chainguide(whatever taht gamat setup is?)
4. juicy7's
5. wheelset
6. seat
7. other stuff i cant see

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
sama1ter said:
his build isnt even remotely close?

1. boxxer
2. cranks
3. chainguide(whatever taht gamat setup is?)
4. juicy7's
5. wheelset
6. seat
7. other stuff i cant see
I was not thinking that specific part but more weight wise in general to give 3 1/2 pounds difference. The Boxxer is the around the same weight as the 40, their wheelset close to the same, same seat and seat post combo etc. I am sure Updog can give us Sundays owners so good tips of what he has done. I do remember something about the DHX is lighter than the 5th so with the ti that should give a good saving there.

E.T.

Monkey
Feb 23, 2004
NorCal
dw said:
I can tell you with 100% certainty that your chinaguide arrangement will not work for long, or well. The bashguard that you have on there is too small in diameter, and also to too flexible laterally to be used with the SRS and be reliable. We strongly recommend against this setup.
:nope: What!!! How would you know if Jeremy's chainguide with a Gamut polycarbonate bashring would be "too flexible laterally"! This is the lamest thing I've heard from anyone in a long time. It ranks right up there with the twist between the knees fork stiffness test.

So, do you have his bike in front of you...NO. Have you tried this set-up...NO... The ONLY reason why it's not a full on Gamut P-40 is because you changed the international standard for chainguides and convieniently put the new standard on the Sunday.

And DUH!!! Of course YOU strongly recommend against this set-up, because it is the competition.

Anyway, see you at the U.S. Open. Jeremy and I will both be there running Gamut P-40 chainguides (half of one for Jeremy) and then you can watch and determine if it is too flexible laterally, or maybe you can just twist them between your knees... :)

The Kadvang

I rule
Apr 13, 2004
six five oh
E.T. said:
:
So, do you have his bike in front of you...NO. Have you tried this set-up...NO... The ONLY reason why it's not a full on Gamut P-40 is because you changed the international standard for chainguides and convieniently put the new standard on the Sunday.
Awwwww FVCK! So my ICSG Gamut G45 won't work on the sunday? FVCK

E.T.

Monkey
Feb 23, 2004
NorCal
CBJ said:
I don't know what Jeremy's bike weighs but I do know that my Demo-8 is right at 38.18 without a Ti spring and with some 980-1000g tires. His bike FELT a little bit heavier than my bike which could put it right around or below 39. Compared to stock, he has a DHX + Ti spring which is about 3/4 of a pound lighter. His seatpost is trimmed 40g, he is running a Gamut P-40 bashring which is about 1/3 of a pound lighter, his tires are about 1.4 Lbs lighter, his stem is lighter by about 40grams, he's running Magura Louise FR brakes (i think they are lighter) and Lock-on Ruffians which are 20g lighter than the stock grips, also alloy chainring bolts which are 30g lighter than the longer E.13 type + washers. That comes out to about 2.76 Lbs lighter than the STOCK bike.

Your guess is as good as mine as to the actual weight of his bike. If we stop by the local bike shop sometime soon we'll weigh it up on the digital scale to see what it REALLY weighs.

E.T.

Monkey
Feb 23, 2004
NorCal
The Kadvang said:
Awwwww FVCK! So my ICSG Gamut G45 won't work on the sunday? FVCK
All hope is not lost...

I'll have to double check but, a BB mounted G-45 or P-40 might work. We just need to swap out the boomerang with Gamut and give it a try. If it fits up correctly that will be a total savings of a half a pound over the E.13! We'll let you know how it goes...

SPrider

Monkey
Feb 18, 2005
Well said Evan, well said, DW is just trying to make the Gamut look bad, even though thats not possible. The Gamut is half the weight of an e13, and just as strong, and a lot easier to set up. Check it www.gamutusa.com

Let the flaming begin... sigh

Please, lets try and keep this civil. We all know board this is 90% e.thirteen fanboys.

SPrider said:
Well said Evan, well said, DW is just trying to make the Gamut look bad
Now when did he say that? He said the bashgaurd wouldn't work with the E.13, he never said a gamut system would not work.

E.T. said:
Have you tried this set-up...NO...
Now who's making asumptions :nope:

SPrider

Monkey
Feb 18, 2005
DW said it would be "too flexible laterally". Jestere all i'm saying is it isn't flexible laterally at all, its made of polycarbonate also, and is 10mm thick. Gamut is the competion so I guess he will say stuff like that with out riding a gamut. :thumb:

E.T.

Monkey
Feb 23, 2004
NorCal
Jestere said:
Now who's making asumptions :nope:
Do you really think that Dave has ran his chainguide on a Sunday with a Gamut P-40 bashring? I didn't think so. If he has I'd like to know... Anyway I just called Jeremy and he was pretty pissed about what Dave said about his set-up too. I can say with 100% certainty that I did not in anyway mean to make any assumptions.

I'm going riding...

Have fun on the internet... :thumb:

SPrider said:
DW said it would be "too flexible laterally". Jestere all i'm saying is it isn't flexible laterally at all, its made of polycarbonate also, and is 10mm thick. Gamut is the competion so I guess he will say stuff like that with out riding a gamut. :thumb:
I would just think DW is the kind of guy that would test something like this out before saying he is "100% sure".He might be just saying this from experiance from other similar bashguards I guess. I'm sure Jeremy will tell us how is works out. And anyways we all the that DW is acually a cyborg.

The Kadvang

I rule
Apr 13, 2004
six five oh
E.T. said:
All hope is not lost...

I'll have to double check but, a BB mounted G-45 or P-40 might work. We just need to swap out the boomerang with Gamut and give it a try. If it fits up correctly that will be a total savings of a half a pound over the E.13! We'll let you know how it goes...
Keep me posted man... I really wanna run a gamut.

E.T. said:
I'm going riding...

Trust me, if I had a bike and didn't have a midterm essay due tomorrow I would be out riding instead of E-bickering. I miss riding UCSC soooo much. Anywho, perhaps you guys are getting just alittle bent out of shape by this one. It wasn't a personal attack and I think dw was just trying to help.

updog

Chimp
Jan 8, 2005
So, I just weighed my bike and my house scale was wrong by about a pound. Its 39.1, and in a couple days it will be about a half pound lighter. Also on the IH website it says it comes with double butted spokes and I don't think it did, so once I get new wheels it should be around another half pound off the bike.

Oh yeah, I did the "between the legs test" on the Gamut and its pretty solid :thumb:

Monkey
Feb 28, 2002
Vail CO
FYI: if you see Jeremy's bike don't touch the downtube... it's got human crap on it (Evan thought it would be fun to do cutties in an RV waist dump)

By the way... the gamut bash gaurd isn't flexy at all.

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
E.T. said:
I don't know what Jeremy's bike weighs but I do know that my Demo-8 is right at 38.18 without a Ti spring and with some 980-1000g tires. .
:think: who ever mentioned Specialized? I thought this thread was about updog's Iron Horse Sunday - which is why people were comparing the weight of Sunday's, not Demo's :rolleyes:

this thread just turned into a "my sponsor is better than yours" and it's going downhill fast...

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
E.T. said:
:nope: What!!! How would you know if Jeremy's chainguide with a Gamut polycarbonate bashring would be "too flexible laterally"! This is the lamest thing I've heard from anyone in a long time. It ranks right up there with the twist between the knees fork stiffness test.
Becuase I have a Gamut P 40 right in front of me that I recieved from a rider for testing. In addition, over the last 5 years, I have built and tested almost every variation of the polycarbonate bashring that I could come up with. This includes thinner bashguards, and bashguards with holes in them. It also includes thinner basguards with holes in them.

The combination of the holes and the thinner material allow the outer edge of the bashguard to flex out laterally when the chain is jammed hard against it. Withte e.thirteen setup, this bashguard flex can let the chain come between the top slider and the bashguard. The stiff supercharger bashguard has a true function for the SRS.

E.T. said:
wow. holy incorrect speculation Evan!

yes, I obviously have a Sunday here. The ISCG05 has been available to the public for months and months. It is the future for all DH bikes, with almost every major manufacturer making the change for 2006. Somebody had to be the guinea pig, and Iron Horse volunteered.

YOu are obviously sponsored by Gamut and thats totally cool. I am down. Have your boys get in touch if they ahave any ISCG05 questions at all. We are here to help and to make bikes better for everyone.

E.T. said:
And DUH!!! Of course YOU strongly recommend against this set-up, because it is the competition.
I strongly recommend against it because it wont work and I dont want to see someone:
a) have a failure.
b) get hurt.

E.T. said:
Anyway, see you at the U.S. Open. Jeremy and I will both be there running Gamut P-40 chainguides (half of one for Jeremy) and then you can watch and determine if it is too flexible laterally, or maybe you can just twist them between your knees... :)
Please come and find me Evan. I will be at the e.thirteen truck and on the hill all weekend. I am really looking forward to meeting you both in person. You dont need to hate and speculate just because you dont run e.thirteen. I dont care as long as you are out there having fun and keeping positive.

Dave

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
E.T. said:
Do you really think that Dave has ran his chainguide on a Sunday with a Gamut P-40 bashring? I didn't think so. If he has I'd like to know... Anyway I just called Jeremy and he was pretty pissed about what Dave said about his set-up too. I can say with 100% certainty that I did not in anyway mean to make any assumptions.

I'm going riding...

Yes, as I stated before, and for the record, I have P-40 here. I also have a few MRP System 3's and some blackspires. Any questions about those?

Why would Jeremy be pissed about someone trying to help him get his bike dialed? That doesn't sound right, does it?

Definitely go out riding. good idea.

See you at the open!

Dave

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
beaverbiker said:
since when does a bashguard on a race bike need to be stiff laterally anyway?
When you run a chain retention SYSTEM that is designed to use one.

The SRS isnt just a bunch of random pieces thrown together. It was engineered from the ground up to serve a very specific function. All of the pieces work together in harmony to keep your chian on, shed mud, take ridiculous impacts, and be very light doing it. The best part about the SRS is that it actually does all of these things.

See you in a few Evan

Dave

E.T.

Monkey
Feb 23, 2004
NorCal
dw said:

The SRS isnt just a bunch of random pieces thrown together. It was engineered from the ground up to serve a very specific function. All of the pieces work together in harmony to keep your chian on, shed mud, take ridiculous impacts, and be very light doing it. The best part about the SRS is that it actually does all of these things.

See you in a few Evan

Dave
First off I'm not here to hate on E.13. In 2003, at the Sandpoint, Idaho National, I completely destroyed the stock chainguide on my Giant Team DH (chainring cased a rock and I crashed hard). I went through the pits and E.13 was the only one offering chainguides. I payed $130 cash for a guide and they installed it for me also. It was lightyears better than what I had before.

I've never gone on to this forum or any other and said that your chainguides were bad or that they weren't engineered correctly. The Gamut is just considerably lighter (about half of the weight of your guide). For people who race, pedal uphill, or just don't want any excess weight this is very important.

I have been running Gamut chainguides for almost two-years now and I have yet to have a mechanical. This is why I was unhappy to hear that you considered that gamut to be too flexy. Whatever stiffness it may be it works flawlessly on a Gamut chainguide. We will be setting up a full on BB mounted Gamut P-40 this week as long as it fits and then you won't have to worry about it.

We'll see you at the open hopefully you will not have to bring your boxing gloves... :)

-Evan

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
E.T. said:
We'll see you at the open hopefully you will not have to bring your boxing gloves... :)
-Evan
I realize this was said as a joke, and so are my comments here, but if you were to even think about laying a fist on to DW's hornrims, you would have
an army from both coasts and at least 5 continents to deal with.
Plus of course, the robot army he has assembled for the end times. :blah:
For you people who have not met Dave, it is not that people like him and look up to him because he knows alot.
They like and respect him because he is goofily passionate about bikes, and he is really fun to talk to.
If he says something will not work with his guide, then I know him well enough to know he is not a hater, and is just looking out for a fellow rider.

Sherpa

Basking in fail.
Jan 28, 2004
Arkansaw
E.T. said:
First off I'm not here to hate on E.13. In 2003, at the Sandpoint, Idaho National, I completely destroyed the stock chainguide on my Giant Team DH (chainring cased a rock and I crashed hard). I went through the pits and E.13 was the only one offering chainguides. I payed $130 cash for a guide and they installed it for me also. It was lightyears better than what I had before.

I've never gone on to this forum or any other and said that your chainguides were bad or that they weren't engineered correctly. The Gamut is just considerably lighter (about half of the weight of your guide). For people who race, pedal uphill, or just don't want any excess weight this is very important.

I have been running Gamut chainguides for almost two-years now and I have yet to have a mechanical. This is why I was unhappy to hear that you considered that gamut to be too flexy. Whatever stiffness it may be it works flawlessly on a Gamut chainguide. We will be setting up a full on BB mounted Gamut P-40 this week as long as it fits and then you won't have to worry about it.

-Evan
I though DW was stating to not use the Gamut bashguard with the SRS backplate?

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
Sherpa said:
I though DW was stating to not use the Gamut bashguard with the SRS backplate?
Exactly. Thats all.

If it worked together it wouldnt be an issue. But they don't. Thats the bottom line.

Dave

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
dw said:
Exactly. Thats all.

If it worked together it wouldnt be an issue. But they don't. Thats the bottom line.

Dave

So what you're saying is, if I understand you correctly, is that anyone using using a Gamut chaing guide is a big sissy gay-boy whose mother is a big fat whore?

beaverbiker

Monkey
Feb 5, 2003
Santa Clara
dw said:

See you in a few Evan

Dave
i agree. but compare it as a heavy solid bashguard that doesn't flex at all v.s. a lightweight bashguard that flexes a small amount. if you have your spacing dialed in, a small deflection in the bashguard will not result in a dropped chain as the bashguard will still remain under the top guide. it's trade offs. gamut just realized that not everyone with a chainguide is a super free chucker and needs their bashguard to stand up to stacking a 90ft step-up triple onto a leprechaun.

Pip3r

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2001
Foxboro MA
beaverbiker said:
i agree. but compare it as a heavy solid bashguard that doesn't flex at all v.s. a lightweight bashguard that flexes a small amount. if you have your spacing dialed in, a small deflection in the bashguard will not result in a dropped chain as the bashguard will still remain under the top guide. it's trade offs. gamut just realized that not everyone with a chainguide is a super free chucker and needs their bashguard to stand up to stacking a 90ft step-up triple onto a leprechaun.
I somewhat agree, but in this case with it being on a sunday i personally wouldnt risk it, those BB's are so damn low (which i love). I was following heikki the other day when just off a little like 2 ft drop he kicked up a huge rock and made a super loud noise when he landed on his bashguard and it took it like nothing.

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Pip3r said:
I somewhat agree, but in this case with it being on a sunday i personally wouldnt risk it, those BB's are so damn low (which i love). I was following heikki the other day when just off a little like 2 ft drop he kicked up a huge rock and made a super loud noise when he landed on his bashguard and it took it like nothing.
Yeah, but that was just a rock. It would have been much worse if he landed on a leprechaun :p

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
beaverbiker said:
I think you still might be misinterpreting what I'm saying here Curtis. Nobody is talking about the Gamut guide. We are talkingabout someone using a gamut bashguard on an SRS. The stiffness issue combined with the diameter makes them incompatible. Thats all.

I do have to say though, calling a supercharger "heavy" is kind of a joke. The supercharger is lighter than two 3mm mrp plates, so its pretty damn light. I cant count the number of times that riders like Rennie, Cedric, Joe Weekend etc... who have come up after a race run to tell stories of how they blasted some rock that they just didnt see and how their race run would have been over with any other guide. That speaks volumes to me. I've been there myself, I just haven't tagged any leprechauns! The SRS is Light, just not TOO light in my opinion.

Don't think we dont value the need for light weight. LG1 testing has been flawless.

Dave

beaverbiker

Monkey
Feb 5, 2003
Santa Clara
yea, i can see that. it isn't heavy, but it isn't light. i have seen those take a beating. leprechauns are still harder than a rock. the Brinell hardness factor of a leprechaun is through the roof.

Lefty

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Megan calls me a babe.
It's a really nice bike if only they would come in other colours then this radioactive green. Yuck.. do you get free sunglasses with that. I def would give it a paintjob. Rootbeer would be even better. :p Or battleship grey orso, translucent bleu. :rolleyes: