Quantcast

***sunday's GMT***

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Gotta clean my shithole of a house today before the Thanksgiving intruders arrive Thursday. I'm about to head to the grocery store. 9 AM the Sunday before Thanksgiving...how bad can it be? :monkey:

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Here. House cleanup before family gets here.

1sec/lap fastest lap yet, on worn tires and I haven't changed the oil in 4 days out (need to before we can go out again). She also got out in her new race suit which almost perfectly matches her kart. She was very adamant that this was the suit that she wanted. She's picked out her next helmet, but it's a bit rich. She's going to need to find a lighter helmet that she likes that is in budget...
PXL_20231118_213638145-EDIT.jpg

And for anybody with kids riding DH, if you need or are thinking about getting a Leatt collar, let me know. We got Haley one to replace her foam collar and it's too low in the back. I am getting her a different one, but have an effectively brand new Leatt 5.5 Jr for sale.

gonefirefightin

free wieners
Hopefully there are enough geeks in here to satisfy my networking itch.

looking at doing a full on smart home, rack mounts, switches, led drivers, low voltage exteriors, cat6 everywhere, PoE lighting etc. the whole enchilada

any tips or hints from the nerd herd collective to quench this insatiable thirst for automation?

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Le work for an hour or two, installing new firewalls for our factory floor. w00t.

Then maybe a movie or something?

It is snowing ever so lightly here.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
Why is it that just because they got up all motivated and ready to go women feel the need to wake you the hell up to share in the joy of the extensive honey do list for you that they set up to take the entire day then they add "Oh and you should go for a ride....like you gave me all of 30 seconds to fit that sucker in :banghead: :banghead:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Hopefully there are enough geeks in here to satisfy my networking itch.

looking at doing a full on smart home, rack mounts, switches, led drivers, low voltage exteriors, cat6 everywhere, PoE lighting etc. the whole enchilada

any tips or hints from the nerd herd collective to quench this insatiable thirst for automation?
What are you hoping to get out of it, functionally? I'm happy enough with my not very smart home: Ethernet drops to almost all the rooms (ok, this is key), wired power/wireless connectivity cameras here and there, a few standalone LED/solar light setups where I need more light, and a smattering of WiFi smart outlets and appliances (patio lights, patio heated mats, garage heat pump, hot tub heater).

/me is hairless today. it became time to become freshly shorn, so it was done. shall get some moonlighting and lifting in today as well.

gonefirefightin

free wieners
What are you hoping to get out of it, functionally? I'm happy enough with my not very smart home: Ethernet drops to almost all the rooms (ok, this is key), wired power/wireless connectivity cameras here and there, a few standalone LED/solar light setups where I need more light, and a smattering of WiFi smart outlets and appliances (patio lights, patio heated mats, garage heat pump, hot tub heater).

/me is hairless today. it became time to become freshly shorn, so it was done. shall get some moonlighting and lifting in today as well.
if you could build a whole house system from scratch during a new construction what would you do

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
if you could build a whole house system from scratch during a new construction what would you do
Ethernet drops with PoE to each side of the house you want a camera and a light on, so a nice big 32 port or whatever switch with PoE. Might as well go 10 Gbps if you're building new. Ethernet drops to all of the rooms. Smart front door lock and WiFi connected garage door opener, the latter with battery backup. Other than that going piecemeal for individual outlets/appliances seems just fine.

gonefirefightin

free wieners
Ethernet drops with PoE to each side of the house you want a camera and a light on, so a nice big 32 port or whatever switch with PoE. Might as well go 10 Gbps if you're building new. Ethernet drops to all of the rooms. Smart front door lock and WiFi connected garage door opener, the latter with battery backup. Other than that going piecemeal for individual outlets/appliances seems just fine.
yeah,

I find your lack of technology disturbing

Thus far.....

I am looking at a smart breaker panel to make all the 110/220v smart but still running cat6 to all those boxes, as well as having the expandability for solar and battery, will be running 4-24 port PoE rack mounts at 100 watts per port for all the low voltage lighting in the house as well as USB outlets, cameras, control surfaces, exterior lighting appliance networking and climate control.

As far as components and software go I am sure the low voltage will be Rasberry Pi integration and access nodes everywhere along with a pretty robust OS suite of apps to jive with each other.

Don't get me started on fixtures and switches, thats a whole other level of a rabbit hole I am going down.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
seriously. what a waste of time and resources. and for what?

last thing i want in my home is anything linked to anything outside of it other than my wifi inbound. and i barely even want that.

Last edited:

gonefirefightin

free wieners
seriously. what a waste of time and resources. and for what?

last thing i want in my home is anything linked to anything outside of it other than my wifi inbound. and i barely even want that.
I thought the same as well but considering I am building this place myself I found that the low voltage side of the tech is not only fractions of the cost to install but also a fraction of the cost in components and results in a huge amount of electricity savings especially when using solar and battery backup. The automation is just geekdom

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
There is a house up the street that is damn near perfect. It has a 3 car garage with a den with fireplace off the side and it's own entrance. I love the idea of a sweet den off the garage. The living room has its own fireplace.

PXL_20231119_210120151~2.jpg

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
Finally caught the feral cat thats been trying to kill our cat and already caused a vet bill for our poor little kitty. Good riddance.

A half buried concrete bunker attached to a dug out solar greenhouse sounds about right to me. Thats the definition of SMRT living!

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I found that the low voltage side of the tech is not only fractions of the cost to install but also a fraction of the cost in components and results in a huge amount of electricity savings especially when using solar and battery backup
wat/Watt? More reading material pls

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
there are granite boulders on the ground here

they're free, I can hold them together with dried snot

not my fault your brain goes to smooth polished bullshit

I wasn't thinking about countertops, but well known easily constructed countermeasures.

1700432519142.png

What you really want is low profile bunkers with properly calculated crossfire positions.