Quantcast

Sunjay's Cruiser Jump

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
Originally posted by OGRipper
Anyway, hope Smitty gets well quick, that was pretty scary. I was up on the hill and couldn't see the actual impact, but it looked like he augered in face first from about 15 feet up.
Yeah, who was that? I saw the impact from about 20 feet away, and it was really scary. He basically went OTB and his face was the first part of his body to hit the ground, which caused his neck to snap back really hard. The worst part was watching him writhe around on the ground for 15 minutes before they got him in an ambulance. Super-scary; never fun to watch somebody get seriously hurt.

mtnbikfrut

Chimp
Nov 13, 2001
Santa Barbara
Yeah, Rosie roll's with the best of em,

Rosie (my Roommates friends cruiser which I kind of inherited) is still rolling. Sanjay stood on the front wheel after the race to make it "true" again and then I beat it against the ground to boot! (He later true'd up the wheel and she runs pretty straight now) She is approx 2" longer now and barely fits into my truck bed, and now has a wheelbase longer than any DH rig I have ever had in there (including a lg Foes). I think it was his third jump (complete with a little whip action) that claimed the bend in the steerer.

So I'm in the market for a new front rim and fork. Anyone have any old deemax rims they wanna donate for the cause? Any forks worthy of Rosie?

I have a fronj photo story in the works. Final project for stock footage due thurs evening. I should have the story up after that. I'll put it in the dh forum so nobody misses this spectacle.

I also have fronj mtn-x helmet cam footage, interested?

-garrett

Attachments

roee

Chimp
Mar 13, 2004
LOL LOL LOL FARKING LOL!!!!

That's the most hilarious MTB stuff I've ever seen, especially the last one (the darkened pic). Looks like a MTB parody or something.

I still can't believe someone is this sick. Way to go Sanjay, you're my hero!!! :D :D :D

Damn True

Monkey Pimp
Sep 10, 2001
Between a rock and a hard place.
The more I look at that last pic the more I f'n LOVE IT.

Think about it.
This sport started a little more than 150 miles North of the spot that photo was taken.
The OG's rode bikes very much like what Fronj is riding.
From that point, the sport has grown and morphed for the better, and sometimes worse into what it is today.
DH courses that back then nobody could imagine walking, much less riding. DS and 4x tracks that look like they were built by some BMX mad scientist crossbred with a roman gladiator.
XC courses.......well, lets not talk about the current state of XC.
....and the bikes....oh my god the bikes....
8-10 inches of spv travel are you kidding me?
Shocks that lock and unlock themselves ar just the right time.
Titanium, carbon fiber, scandium, and too many exotic blends of aluminium to count.
Hard tails, soft-tails, DH, DS, DJ bikes oh my!

.....and here....25-30 years later is a guy who wasn't born when the sport started doing stuff that pushes the current paradigm of what this sport is.........and doing it on a machine that could very well have been on Mt. Tam way back then.

how bitchin is this?

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
Originally posted by Damn True
The more I look at that last pic the more I f'n LOVE IT.

Think about it.
This sport started a little more than 150 miles North of the spot that photo was taken.

.....and here....25-30 years later is a guy who wasn't born when the sport started doing stuff that pushes the current paradigm of what this sport is.........and doing it on a machine that could very well have been on Mt. Tam way back then.

how bitchin is this?
And the event has dumba$$ judges too stupid to get any of that..... As much as things change they stay the same.

Damn True

Monkey Pimp
Sep 10, 2001
Between a rock and a hard place.
Originally posted by DRB
And the event has dumba$$ judges too stupid to get any of that..... As much as things change they stay the same.
Judges are for figure skating.

That pic takes the whole deal full circle.

We aren't riding DS, DH, 4x, XC, Short track, erbon, jibbing, park, trials, Marathon XC, BMX, flatland, vert, DJ crit, fat-boy crit, stage races, single day classics, centuries.

We are riding bikes, and it's fun.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
You could argue that Sanjay's jump had a deeper meaning in that it showed how far the sport of mountain biking has come.

Same way Watson's Tour jump showed how far the sport of cycling in general has come, and how many different areas of specialization have and continue to be carved. I sure loved the contrast of seeing new school freeride bro launching over the old school roadie torch-bearers.

Yeah, you could argue that, but unless we hear from Sanjay that he intended it as a big statement, let's not read too much into it, it was just rad...

Metal

President of FRONJ
Oct 17, 2001
Orange County, CA
Originally posted by OGRipper

Yeah, you could argue that, but unless we hear from Sanjay that he intended it as a big statement, let's not read too much into it, it was just rad...
The reason why I decided to do the dirt jump on a beach cruiser was to clown the state of dirt jump comps for mountain bikes. Way too many contests have been won by a guy doing only sketchy backflips. Timo won the Freezeride doing 2 backflips. I am not sure who won the Sea Otter jump contest 2 years ago, but he also won buy doing 2 backflips. Same happened at this years comp.
While I really could have used the $1000 and was pretty pissed that I didn't win, and so was the small group at the awards ceremony, I kinds knew that that was going to happen. Am I going to have to do the jump next year on a road bike or a tandem to win. I stuck the jump on a pixie bike for crying out loud.
It seems like style and technicality have nothing to do with the judging.
I really hope that by my jumping on a cruiser and a pixie bike, I might have stirred things up a bit.
Blah blah blah FRONJ blah blah LBR blah

bomberz1qr20

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Originally posted by Metal

It seems like style and technicality have nothing to do with the judging.
Everyone in the crowd knew the judges had their heads firmly shoved in their asses. Boos all around.

What were their qualifications?

Sir, that was some of the most ghetto fabulous bike handling ever. I salute you.

:D :thumb: :thumb: :D

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Way too many contests have been won by a guy doing only sketchy backflips. Timo won the Freezeride doing 2 backflips. I am not sure who won the Sea Otter jump contest 2 years ago, but he also won buy doing 2 backflips. Same happened at this years comp.
The funny thing is that a lot of BMXers who were doing backflips a couple years ago don't even bother with them anymore, they say it's an easy trick that any moron with access to a foam pit can learn.

Yet still these Sea Otter judges seem to think it's the pinnacle of jumping skill :rolleyes:

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Originally posted by Rip
Metal, secretly work on perfecting the front flip, then blow them away next year by doing the front flip on that very same cruiser.
Heh, you need a front brake to do a front flip :p

dromond

Monkey
Aug 20, 2002
Northampton, MA
Ahahahaha that backlit one is the funniets thing I've seen all day!

TANDEM dirtjump bikes are the future, I see. Nay, I think Metal's going to have to tailwhip a tandem next year. You have you work cut out for you :D

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
Originally posted by Echo
The funny thing is that a lot of BMXers who were doing backflips a couple years ago don't even bother with them anymore, they say it's an easy trick that any moron with access to a foam pit can learn.

Yet still these Sea Otter judges seem to think it's the pinnacle of jumping skill :rolleyes:

exactly....they just need judges who actually know what tricks they're looking at and the difficulty level....a backflip is considered pretty easy considering the level of tricks now days...D

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
Originally posted by bomberz1qr20
Everyone in the crowd knew the judges had their heads firmly shoved in their asses. Boos all around.

What were their qualifications?
One of the funniest moments of the contest was when the judges only gave out 7s and 8s for Sanjay's 2nd cruiser jump, and a guy in the audience responded to the judges scores by yelling "Let's see you do it then!"

That made me laugh, but it was all too true.

Scrub

Turbo Monkey
Feb 4, 2003
NOR CAL, Sac/CoCo County
Sanjay's jump on the cruiser was the icing on the cake for an awesome weekend. I too thought he was gonna win the comp at the awards. And the judges just wanted to see carnage and they awarded accordingly.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Am I going to have to do the jump next year on a road bike or a tandem to win.
Jumping a tandem by yourself would rock :p

I'm ignorant of how they select judges for events like this. How does it work? It seems to me like the judges must have little to no actual riding or dirt jumping experience and therefore see the most visually impressive tricks (like it or not, a backflip is a very impressive thing to watch even if it's not as technical as a lot of other tricks) and judge accordingly. Sticking it on a cruiser & pixie bike rocks, and people with experience know that's a difficult thing, but a non-rider is going to laugh and simply assume that sticking the jump on those bikes is as easy as any other 2 wheeled machine.

So, how ARE judges selected?

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
I really hope that by my jumping on a cruiser and a pixie bike, I might have stirred things up a bit.
Blah blah blah FRONJ blah blah LBR blah
Yeah you stirred things up....... YOU HIT THAT JUMP ON A FREAKIN' BEACH CRUISER.

I'll I got to say is :monkey: .

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Originally posted by Damn True
Judges are for figure skating.

That pic takes the whole deal full circle.

We aren't riding DS, DH, 4x, XC, Short track, erbon, jibbing, park, trials, Marathon XC, BMX, flatland, vert, DJ crit, fat-boy crit, stage races, single day classics, centuries.

We are riding bikes, and it's fun.
Damn True(r) words have never been spoken. :monkey:

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Originally posted by draco
this, my x-dreams visiting friend, is not true. I offer to show otherwise next time you ride there.:D
Well it's not like I ever actually tried one, that's just what Nyquist told me :p

draco

Monkey
Mar 5, 2003
Roche-STAR
Originally posted by Echo
Well it's not like I ever actually tried one, that's just what Nyquist told me :p
ryan nyquist is a dirty liar. a really, good, smooth, 720 the box sorta dirty liar.

but gettin down to it matt beringer's been throwin em out w/o ft brake..