Quantcast

Super Clean Gearbox out of NZ

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
All the fans of the 'looks like x bike with y bikes swingarm' reply must be gutted when they see this. Nice and clean for such a modern thinking bike

troy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 3, 2008
As it has no iscg tabs I guess it is some kind of inner bashguard/chainguide that has to be attached to Your crankarm.

Or like fluider said it's to illustrate a size of chainring .

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
How are they tensioning the chain from cranks to "gearbox"?

I like!
I think the two chrome plates are slotted to allow the hub to be adjusted up and down, thereby tensioning the chain. The rear chain has a tensioner on the swingarm.

Sort of like a brooklyn, only with a slot up top rather than an eccentric on the bottom. Actually, nothing like a brooklyn.

monkeyfcuker

Monkey
May 26, 2008
UK, Carlisle
Thought as much but I just couldn't see any evidence (although I am looking on my phone....)

I like this thing a lot but I think the lack of a floater would put me right off :( I've always been and always will be a brake dragger!

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I thought the same thing about the floater, and I still do, but in an email he described brake function as being misconstrued and that the bike will actually brake very well/comfortable without the floater.

I'm not sure I buy it, especially because I loved the floater on my brooklyn so much, but I found it interesting that it was not an oversight but rather designed into the bike. Depending on the hub required, a call to brake therapy might be in order....

thad

Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
The bike will squat under braking. I think this is a good trait. Your fork dives when braking, having the rear end squat keeps geo constant, and lowers the bb, making everything feel stable. Yeah, the suspension works slightly worse with brakes on, but I think it's negligable when you consider how much worse wheels roll over things with brakes on. Roll your bike over a curb. Now try to roll it over with the brake on....

Last edited:

w00dy

In heaven there is no beer
Jun 18, 2004
that's why we drink it here
I thought the same thing about the floater, and I still do, but in an email he described brake function as being misconstrued and that the bike will actually brake very well/comfortable without the floater.

I'm not sure I buy it, especially because I loved the floater on my brooklyn so much, but I found it interesting that it was not an oversight but rather designed into the bike. Depending on the hub required, a call to brake therapy might be in order....
Your suspension on the brooklyn was active under braking because you had hopes and there was no braking.

Vrock

Linkage Design Blog
Aug 13, 2005
Spain
Very nice frame, but now that they are so close to start the production they should do a Website.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Your suspension on the brooklyn was active under braking because you had hopes and there was no braking.
rofltacos...they had an advanced rotor cooling system whereby they sprayed dot fluid on the rotors. kept them from overheating.... :( figures its british.

Whoops

Turbo Monkey
Jul 9, 2006
New Zealand
Very nice frame, but now that they are so close to start the production they should do a Website.
They seem to want to do things properly and without hype, so I get the impression they'll only start to market/sell when the product is good to go - unlike some other companies.

...and word of mouth seems to be doing ok for them at the moment. I can't imagine they'll have any problems shifting stock.

w00dy

In heaven there is no beer
Jun 18, 2004
that's why we drink it here

Hi Guys,

Just got back from the studio after taking some great shots of a built up Production Zerode. There is a little work to be done tidying up the pics but I did manage to take a few sneaky shots on my phone.

She went together very nicely, very respectable weight and damn she looks fine...

There is a bunch more frames at the painter.... not long now!

Rob
Hot damn.

Whoops

Turbo Monkey
Jul 9, 2006
New Zealand
And those big, cookie cutter company's will be furiously leaning on their designers...

warning, rampant e-speculation below;

I have a gut feeling that if this bike goes to the WC, with a competitive rider on board AND it's as fast a bike as I have a feeling it will be (yeah yeah), unless the other co's have a matching improvement, there will be a change in regulations.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I'll bite...

I don't think this bike will see the WC for a few years, and even then it won't be as competitive. Other teams will have significantly more money, better riders (because they can pay them) and dedicated tuning/mechanic teams. I do foresee the gearbox having an impact on what other manufacturers bring to the table, especially if many people buy these bikes, and I think they will. Eventually THAT may have an impact on WC regulations, but I don't think we'll see that for a few years.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
I'll bite...

I don't think this bike will see the WC for a few years, and even then it won't be as competitive. Other teams will have significantly more money, better riders (because they can pay them) and dedicated tuning/mechanic teams. I do foresee the gearbox having an impact on what other manufacturers bring to the table, especially if many people buy these bikes, and I think they will. Eventually THAT may have an impact on WC regulations, but I don't think we'll see that for a few years.
It all depends. If they are able to pick up a promising junior rider than there are chances. Though the main problem small mfg's from outside europe face is lack of nearby world cups so team costs are higher if you want them to do the WC tour.

Whoops

Turbo Monkey
Jul 9, 2006
New Zealand
It all depends. If they are able to pick up a promising junior rider than there are chances. Though the main problem small mfg's from outside europe face is lack of nearby world cups so team costs are higher if you want them to do the WC tour.
Yes the travel is an issue, but there are kiwi riders who've spent seasons in Europe on $4.65/month. Travel budgets are an issue, but money (above a certain functional minimum) ain't everything.

That said, the big factory teams don't often lose to the privateers and small trade teams...

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Yes the travel is an issue, but there are kiwi riders who've spent seasons in Europe on $4.65/month. Travel budgets are an issue, but money (above a certain functional minimum) ain't everything.

That said, the big factory teams don't often lose to the privateers and small trade teams...
Wait - what? 5$ a month in mainland yurp? Even if that doesn't include race/lift passes that is crazy! I can't imagine how it would be possible here where it's cheaper than in western yurp so how? Do they eat grass?

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
And those big, cookie cutter company's will be furiously leaning on their designers...

warning, rampant e-speculation below;

I have a gut feeling that if this bike goes to the WC, with a competitive rider on board AND it's as fast a bike as I have a feeling it will be (yeah yeah), unless the other co's have a matching improvement, there will be a change in regulations.
Like Honda's :rolleyes:

Demomonkey

Monkey
Apr 27, 2005
Auckland New Zealand
I see a review in DIRT UK with a certain anonymous WC top 10 rider stating such things as "she does great cutties mate..." and "yeah, its a bonza bike mate......time for a VB"

But, time for some serious e-speculation: rumours of current kiwi WC riders heading back for the new season on top of these things have been circulating.

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
cam cole winning jr worlds on the lahar was pretty rad. perhaps we'll see a similar scenario here. one can hope - love the underdogs. esp when they're pushing the state of the art.

Whoops

Turbo Monkey
Jul 9, 2006
New Zealand
drivetrain lobbyists are sh!tting their pants right now..
I wouldn't go quite that far

Wait - what? 5$ a month in mainland yurp? Even if that doesn't include race/lift passes that is crazy! I can't imagine how it would be possible here where it's cheaper than in western yurp so how? Do they eat grass?

Did you hear, the word gullible has been removed from the dictionary! I was exaggerating for effect. The actual figure is $7.83, but that's for the fella's who like to live the high life...

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
I wouldn't go quite that far

Did you hear, the word gullible has been removed from the dictionary! I was exaggerating for effect. The actual figure is $7.83, but that's for the fella's who like to live the high life...
I've been accused of that. Quite often actually. Though even if you given me any other number I'd be suprised as the apline countries are a bit expensive. It's doable but still hard. Well unless you want to eat cheap french food and be the first person to get scurvy in so far from the see. Though even that was quite expensive to my suprise when I was at alpe d huez this year. I think the NZ idea of Low cost trip and Polish idea of low cost trip may be a bit different ;)

Though if it's possible or you think it's possible do it. I just don't see the alpes as a place for cheap turism.

Back on topic - I know they don't want to build hype yet but have the Zerode guys thought about distribution outside of NZ? Because as much as I'd like to visit it's quite far.

Last edited: