Quantcast

Super Clean Gearbox out of NZ

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
I was said (today) Rob is on CAD for shock protection, even if to this day they've had ZERO problemo with it !
i kind of find that hard to believe. i know what my downtubes look like in the exact location the shock is. hell i put a dent on the downtube of my M9 exactly where that shock is.
and if it wasnt a problem, he wouldnt be making something to protect the shock. youd think they would have done that from the beginning, not when the bike is complete.

DhDork

Monkey
Mar 30, 2007
Hell, AZ
i kind of find that hard to believe. i know what my downtubes look like in the exact location the shock is. hell i put a dent on the downtube of my M9 exactly where that shock is.
and if it wasnt a problem, he wouldnt be making something to protect the shock. youd think they would have done that from the beginning, not when the bike is complete.
:stupid: I have a dent in my Demo and Pitch in that exact place, and my BigHit before that, all from man size rocks. At least build a cheap replaceable plastic cover like the Glory had.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I have similar dents in my downtubes on my bikes...but yeah, I doubt we'll see a plastic molded guard anytime soon. [tongue-in-cheek] maybe somebody in the area well versed in carbon forming could make them one [/tongue-in-cheek].

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
the bike is gorgeous as far as industrial design goes. youd think they would have thought of something like that since the Lapierre and Giant all have guards around their shocks that pierce the DT. it can be even more of a PITA since theres no bash guard

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
you could just flip the shock. (blah blah lower unsprung weight / cg blah).

any pricing rumors yet?

anybody ridden an alfine (ie, on a city bike) that can attest to the shifting performance / trigger feel?

Last edited:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I was told $4500 NZD.
me too....3400 makes it competitive with other top level frames....but you don't have to buy a drivetrain.

Don't know what it comes with though...now that I see it doesn't require a custom hub, you probably have to provide your own...so you'll save cash on cassette, derailleur, shifter, and chainguide....not a cheap bike.

wachtourak

Chimp
Apr 26, 2008
Wellington, NZ
you could just flip the shock. (blah blah lower unsprung weight / cg blah).

any pricing rumors yet?

anybody ridden an alfine (ie, on a city bike) that can attest to the shifting performance / trigger feel?
We have one on a commuter bike at our shop (but it's an 8 speed one, not the 11 speed that the Zerode apparently comes with), the shift lever feels kinda average, like a Deore or something I guess, but the shifts themselves are quick and smooth. Dunno if the 11sp one feels different, yet to ride one.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Don't know what it comes with though...now that I see it doesn't require a custom hub, you probably have to provide your own...so you'll save cash on cassette, derailleur, shifter, and chainguide....not a cheap bike.
is the shifter proprietary to the Alfine hub?
taking all the other parts out of the equation to buy, puts it inline with all the other top frames out there

Banga

Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Wellington, New Zealand
Probably making it to appease the e-engineers.

I would tend to beleive Rob and Dodzy, the majority of testing of the steel prototype has been in NZ with a small stint in Whistler.

Most of the trails here are dirt so we don't have too many downtube threatening rock projectiles. Dodzy isn't a muppet rider so it wouldn't have been 50/50d too often.

Website is due the 10th I believe.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
I'm so stoked to (almost) see a privateer bike make it to market *a nice 1 at that* rather than the annual spesh/trek/jamis. Its nice to see an underdog do well, and i see it doing very well should it not break. Its nice to see the process and time put in, rather than, hey engineer, here is 20k, make a better demo.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
yeah, alfine shifter goes to alfine hub. I imagine it'll ship with one...he said to me "nifty extras" come with it.

The frame without it would cost $4gs in total with it, limiting market to only the really dedicated, and their buddies who get bro deals.

I was actually looking into the 11spd alfine for another project today, and supposedly it's totally different from the 8spd, oil based internals like the rohloff, shifter operates like a normal derailleur shifter, and it's a touch lighter too. 11spd is a bit much for a DH bike, but you can't argue with lighter weight, lower maintenance, and possibly more strength.

UiUiUiUi

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2003
Berlin, Germany
that sounds interesting but the outer parts are the same?

maybe its possible to upgrade the zerode to the 11 spd alfine?
can't find some detailed info about the 11 speed alfine though :/

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
i'm not sure whether outer specs are the same or not, but I think they're pretty similar. The 11spd alfine is pretty new. You can pop over to MTBR and check out the IG hub forum.

The Alfine11 uses the same sprockets as the Alfine8 and the Nexus hub...so baring a huge increase in hub diameter, I can't see it not working.

DhDork

Monkey
Mar 30, 2007
Hell, AZ
The area around the shock is WAY overbuilt which was diplomatically mentioned by Whoops in his last post as perhaps not being an example of function over form.
How is that overbuilt?? With a shock mount, pivot, AND Alfine hub all in that area, I would think that you would need to have it that 'overbuilt'. The Sundays were that built up around the shock, and I don't think you can say that was "overbuilt".

Demomonkey

Monkey
Apr 27, 2005
Auckland New Zealand
How is that overbuilt?? With a shock mount, pivot, AND Alfine hub all in that area, I would think that you would need to have it that 'overbuilt'. The Sundays were that built up around the shock, and I don't think you can say that was "overbuilt".
Having seen the bike, first hand and up close I am quite confident to say its overbuilt.

Tetreault

Monkey
Nov 23, 2005
SoMeWhErE NoWhErE
Having seen the bike, first hand and up close I am quite confident to say its overbuilt.
ooookkayyy?

but for the 95% of us on here that haven't seen it would you care to explain in more detail as to how it is?

For a bike with a frame mounted 11speed hub it looks quite sleek to me.

It always blew my mind why a design similar to this was never implemented when the gear box hype train was at its highest. super simple concept that is going to work, and work well. hopefully some more people will start to give this some thought and more examples will come out in the next couple years.

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
It always blew my mind why a design similar to this was never implemented when the gear box hype train was at its highest. super simple concept that is going to work, and work well. hopefully some more people will start to give this some thought and more examples will come out in the next couple years.
There's been a handful of bikes of similer design. GT IT, Lahar MK9, Nicolai had one with a Rohloff, May have only been a proto, and a sprinkling of smaller companies.

ED75

Monkey
Dec 3, 2003
France
I totally agree with you, I only report what I was told !
See my last bikes ... I made a custom carbon/kevlar protect.
http://ed91.pinkbike.com/album/Custom-made-Carbon-parts/

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
ED75, is it possible I've met you during Mega last summer? You had a little booth in the trade show area...?

ED75

Monkey
Dec 3, 2003
France
ED75, is it possible I've met you during Mega last summer? You had a little booth in the trade show area...?
Hey !
Sorry I had no booth my self ... but I was there for the Sprint Avalanche cup, 2 days before the mega.
Camping around withe my son next to 2 Americans Guys, you ?

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
No, we were in apartment in town.
I've met a French guy showing some nice CF protectors for fork lowers and frames. He just had it on a table between tents.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
ooookkayyy?
my guess is that he's talking about the wishbone that surrounds the lower shock mount...

if that's so, my concern is not with the frame, but the exposed reservoir and knobs. too many rocks kicked right up into that area....but maybe it could be solved by a remote reservoir shock or a guard...but all in due time.

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
That's it, ED75
So it's not you? ;)
I am thinking about some protection for my Glory, but black carbon kinda doesn't fit well... :|

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Any info on when the site is going to be up with all the info? Wasn't the date I've seen on RM today?

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Nor, in all reality, the IT-1. Layout obviously revised, but GT was arguably the first to do it like this in production...bcd and nicolai and a few others in fits and starts, but they follow a similar gameplan.

zerode is the best execution yet, imo...

Demomonkey

Monkey
Apr 27, 2005
Auckland New Zealand
my guess is that he's talking about the wishbone that surrounds the lower shock mount...

if that's so, my concern is not with the frame, but the exposed reservoir and knobs. too many rocks kicked right up into that area....but maybe it could be solved by a remote reservoir shock or a guard...but all in due time.
You are correct - I was referring to the wishbone. The wishbone appears to be solid and is reasonably thick in width. As Whoops mentioned, it is perhaps the most 'agricultural' aspect of the entire frame and does appear slightly out of sorts compared to the sleek TT and ST.

I suspect a glory hole guard for the reservoir is currently being designed if memory serves me right.

Last edited: