Quantcast

Super T w/Air preload

WheelieMan

Monkey
Feb 6, 2003
kol-uh-RAD-oh
caputo1989 said:
After seeing the monster with an air chamber I got to thinking...What if I removed the springs and some oil from the Jr.T side and put on a air valve? Or do they already make a kit for that?
I think you're confusing two different things. Air preload is different than completely removing the spring from one side of the fork.

But yes, you can purchase an air preload top cap for the Super T. But the one I've got has a larger diameter than the stanchion, so in order to remove the top crown, you must remove the air preload top cap. So something tells me the LBS ordered the wrong part...

skatetokil

Turbo Monkey
Jan 2, 2005
DC/Bluemont VA
I have a super t set up like that. the threads on the caps of all zocchi 32mm forks are the same, so basically just go to an LBS and pick one of the air preload caps from a drop off/DJ 3. Springs slide out, cap screws on, and boom. Marz. told me not to go above like 35 psi, so you might need a stiffer spring in the other leg to make up for it. I didn't however (175 lbs, stock springs). now if you can figure out how to disable or remove the ssv cart. so that only the hcsv side provides damping, I would be much obliged. right now, i can only assume that the little bastard is in there screwing up the quality of my ride.

Cave Dweller

Monkey
May 6, 2003
skatetokil said:
now if you can figure out how to disable or remove the ssv cart. so that only the hcsv side provides damping, I would be much obliged. right now, i can only assume that the little bastard is in there screwing up the quality of my ride.
Get a drill and drill a **** load of holes in the side of the ssv cart so that is has no effect on the damping, but will still hold the lowers on.

skatetokil

Turbo Monkey
Jan 2, 2005
DC/Bluemont VA
Cave Dweller said:
Get a drill and drill a **** load of holes in the side of the ssv cart so that is has no effect on the damping, but will still hold the lowers on.
I doesnt seem like the ssv side has anything to do with holding the lowers on, but maybe i'm missing something. It looks like the c clip on the hcsv side is doing all the work (a rather scary thought) because one time i accidentally left air pressure in the ssv side while adding oil to the hcsv and it almost blew the stanchions out of the lowers. The ssv damper does plug the hole in the bottom of the leg, but it seems like I could saw the damper off close to the bottom so i still had the threads there to bolt up from the outside. might be a tricky operation though. anybody know for sure how this works?

i guess the relevant question is, does the ssv damper weigh more or less than a comparable volume of oil? I'll do the drill thing if it weighs less, but if it's turning the fork into even more of a boat anchor, i'd like to get it out of there completely.

skatetokil

Turbo Monkey
Jan 2, 2005
DC/Bluemont VA
caputo1989 said:
The ssv is held on with the bolt on the bottom and pressed on w/ a bushing and top out spring inside the stantion.
So you cant go above 35 psi in the leg?
thats what the guy said, but he might have been a putz. The final pressure in the tube under full compression depends on oil height, so if you run it lower you will be able to run more preload pressure and still not blow the seals. 35 psi seems like the "safe" answer from an employee who doesnt want to get fired after i complain about blowing my right leg up. i wouls say thats a good ballpark number if you're running it real progressive and close to the max oil height.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
Does the '03 super T come with air assist like the dirt jump forks?

What internals does the '03 some with? I thought it came with hcvs cartridges on both sides.

skatetokil

Turbo Monkey
Jan 2, 2005
DC/Bluemont VA
03 is dual hcsv, but i have an 03 junior t converted to hcsv in one leg. you cant do the air assist trick with dual hcsv carts because the damper rod goes through the top cap for rebound adjustment.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
skatetokil said:
03 is dual hcsv, but i have an 03 junior t converted to hcsv in one leg. you cant do the air assist trick with dual hcsv carts because the damper rod goes through the top cap for rebound adjustment.
Reread your statement.
Yes you can have air assist on dual hcsv.
I have a 03 Super T with dual hcsv and air assist......

Sep 10, 2001
skatetokil said:
now if you can figure out how to disable or remove the ssv cart. so that only the hcsv side provides damping, I would be much obliged. right now, i can only assume that the little bastard is in there screwing up the quality of my ride.
What makes you think that rod is actually doing much?

Brian

skatetokil

Turbo Monkey
Jan 2, 2005
DC/Bluemont VA
Kanter said:
Reread your statement.
Yes you can have air assist on dual hcsv.
I have a 03 Super T with dual hcsv and air assist......
So do they make a cap with both external rebound adjust and air assist? The one i have is just a schrader valve on top of the stanchion. If they have it, i havent seen it. it must require a special valve adapter or something?

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
skatetokil said:
So do they make a cap with both external rebound adjust and air assist? The one i have is just a schrader valve on top of the stanchion. If they have it, i havent seen it. it must require a special valve adapter or something?

Yes they do make such a cap. Its a special cap and pump. The cap was $40 from Zoke and the pump was about the same.

kicknitLivE

Monkey
Jul 12, 2004
Boulder
According to Marzocchi techs, you can run air preload in place of a spring. But when you do this, obviously you have an air spring and you suffer the all the negatives with an air spring (like increased ramp up, fork wanting to top out). Its also really hard to dial in the pressure because the chamber is small and those stupid pumps let out about 15psi.

I would only recommend it to light riders where the stock springs are still a bit strong. Also, I don't think the ssv is causing negative things to happen. The HSCV just kicks in when you need it (like going off a drop or hammering a square edge at speed).

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
I ran the air assist with springs in only one leg on my wifes bike. She only weighs 130lb. With no springs in the leg you can run up to 50psi, with springs in the leg you can only run 15 psi. With the pump and valve system I used, I never lost air when adding air. The shrader valve cap is another story.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
I have an '04 super T. There is hscv in one leg and ssvf in the other right?

I want to be able to adjust stiffness with air assist like on the dirt jumpers. Does this, then only go on one side? Does the spring have to be taken out?
Some help would be appreciated.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
If you think the current spring rate is soft or good, then add an air preload cap to one side to increase spring rate.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Its just a cap. Its super easy. Im not sure which leg it goes on for the 2004.

When my wife runs the fork, I run it without one spring and 15-20psi. If I run the fork I run both springs with about 5-10 psi.

The air assist helps with bottom out.

preppie

Monkey
Aug 30, 2002
Europe
Its just a cap. Its super easy. Im not sure which leg it goes on for the 2004.
When sitting on the bike it's the left leg.
The right leg has the rebound adjuster.

@mtnbrider
The only thing you need to do is :
- Order an aircap for a Dirtjumper 3.
- Take the original Super-T cap (that thing with the black compression knob) off.
- Install the new Air cap and ad some air with a shock pump.

You can make your 04 Super-T a little lighter :
- Remove the left leg springs and that plastic spacer and ad Air --> MAXIMUM 35psi.
- Leave some oil in the left leg for lubrication.
- Replace the springs from the right leg with X-firm springs (=depending on your weight, I'm 175lbs)

bjanga

Turbo Monkey
Dec 25, 2004
San Diego
Does this, then only go on one side? Does the spring have to be taken out?
Some help would be appreciated.
The DJ-style schraeder cap will work on the SSV side, but (Kanter's setup) you need a different air assist top cap for the HSCV side, because the HSCV cartridge connects to the top cap and the SSV just sits down there.

You can leave the spring in or out . . .
At one point I had my (VF2) Z1 Sport set up with super low oil height on the compression side and no springs, ~30PSI in each leg. It was super sticky, did not want to sag, and blew through travel but it was light :greedy:

Has anyone removed or drilled out a SSV / VF2 compression damper? I am going to investigate this, I am currently running very little oil in the compression leg so that the damper has nothing to make it spike, but I want to pop the bugger out since it is not doing anything.

noskcaj

Monkey
Oct 24, 2005
Northford, CT
I wonder if having a much greater force in one leg compared to the other would cause problems with the lowers or crowns since they were engineered to have equal forces. I know a lot of forks run one spring with out a problem and marzocchi is pretty burly, so i doubt there is a problem, but its something to think about.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
I was thinking about that. Because 2 springs divide the upward forces making it compress. With one, all the load is on that side.

I'm just going to get a DJ cap and put it on the left side. If the right side is rebound, then what is the left side? nothing?

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Ive ridden my wifes Super T with no springs in one leg and only the air assist at almost max and it felt pretty good plus it was about 6.5lbs.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
So, if I were to only run air on the left side, i would remove the springs and all, but some oil? So, that's about half a pound less right?

Does you're wife's super T still setup like that? I want know how it holds up in the long run before I try.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Remove springs and washers or they will make lots of noise.
You could remove SOME oil but you will still need some oil in that leg for lubing. The fork is about a 1/2 pound lighter. She has been running it this way for 2 years and no problem. She doesnt ride that much but it never lost 1 pound of air in 2 years. I do have the fork for sale cause she wants a 66. Its almost brand new.

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
I wonder if having a much greater force in one leg compared to the other would cause problems with the lowers or crowns since they were engineered to have equal forces. I know a lot of forks run one spring with out a problem and marzocchi is pretty burly, so i doubt there is a problem, but its something to think about.
nothing to even think about, the structure will have no problems whatsoever coping withe uneven loading occuring from a onesided spring setup, that uneven force is absolutely minor in comparison to other forces it will see, like from damping and twisting.

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
guys you have to all remember that adding air to a fork without a negative spring or air chamber, will always be equal to preloading the spring, meaning you will be removing sag and initial compliance from your fork, this can be beneficial sometimes, but in excess, it will always turn your fork into a very stiff and bouncy thing, like bjanga noted.

the air assist feature is meant for fine tuning, not really for replacing springs. then again, for some setups (4x/dj comes to mind) and circumstances, a lot of preload can be interesting, but normally not for trail/xc/riding.

for those old enough to know what a mag21 feels like, well, you get the picture.

...guys you have to all remember that adding air to a fork without a negative spring or air chamber, will always be equal to preloading the spring...
I tend to disagree. My Super is setup with air assist and springs in the left leg, and I find - with 0-15lbs of air or so - the small bump compliance to be nearly unaffected, yet the extra air pressure helps the fork ramp-up more effectively in the end stroke. Conversely, when I ran the stock setup in the left leg - springs w/standard preload cap and no air assist - cranking the spring preload would indeed lessen small bump compliance.

I like the air assist setup since it allows me to fine-tune (with low pressures) bottom-out, without noticably affecting initial stroke performance. Combine that with tweaking oil levels, and you have some pretty decent tuning options. Sure, it's not very sophisticated, but then, I'm not a very sophisticated rider. ;)

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
I tend to disagree. My Super is setup with air assist and springs in the left leg, and I find - with 0-15lbs of air or so - the small bump compliance to be nearly unaffected, yet the extra air pressure helps the fork ramp-up more effectively in the end stroke. Conversely, when I ran the stock setup in the left leg - springs w/standard preload cap and no air assist - cranking the spring preload would indeed lessen small bump compliance.

I like the air assist setup since it allows me to fine-tune (with low pressures) bottom-out, without noticably affecting initial stroke performance. Combine that with tweaking oil levels, and you have some pretty decent tuning options. Sure, it's not very sophisticated, but then, I'm not a very sophisticated rider. ;)

theres not much to agree with, its basic physics at work, 15psi equates to roughly a half inch of preload on a one sided spring fork anyhow, i mostly meant the comment for guys trying to replace the springs with air on forks without a negative chamber or spring.