Quantcast

suspension guys-traction??

Whoops

Turbo Monkey
Jul 9, 2006
New Zealand
I can't see on the fly attitude control should add more than a couple of bucks. Given that both forks and rear shocks have air pressure spring boosting commonly all you need is systems designed to have simular pressure at a good pitch attitude on flat ground. And some hose connecting them both to a push button valve on the bar....
We could nick the old hydrolastic suspension out of a Morrie Minor eh? Or if we wanted some french speed would could go for the Citroen version...(americans - use Google to work out what the hell I'm talking about)

Whoops

Turbo Monkey
Jul 9, 2006
New Zealand
I've always thought the super reaction speed and 3D processing abilities of the common houseflys brain to hold enormous promise as a downhill pilot.
Australian flys are particularly tenacious, chasing you along a trail as fast as you can pedal.
Got to watch out for those corks-on-a-string though.. that'll put them right off, aye Bruce?

rule number 1, no poofters
etc etc

LaharDesign

Monkey
Jun 16, 2006
The mountain flys at mt buller were nasty. By the time you finished a swat they would have come back and landed again, probably on a pimple or the sweatiest bit of exposed skin.
I asked an Aussie how they could stand them.
He told me after you were there a while they stopped landing on you- while 6 or so crawled around his face! (thats traction)

Honus

Monkey
Jun 6, 2006
Boulder, CO
We could nick the old hydrolastic suspension out of a Morrie Minor eh? Or if we wanted some french speed would could go for the Citroen version...(americans - use Google to work out what the hell I'm talking about)
I'm an American and I know what the hell you're talking about (although I was born in England......) but I'm not sure you guys from NZ are making much sense! Fly brains controlling bikes....:crazy: lol....

Moulton bikes use hydrolastic suspension (not quite in the sense you're talking about) but that would make sense since he invented it.

Soooo.... have we efffectively answered the original question to any degree?

Lahar, I'd be curious to know your thoughts on floating BB designs- Mongoose, Maverick, etc.

LaharDesign

Monkey
Jun 16, 2006
I'm an American and I know what the hell you're talking about (although I was born in England......) but I'm not sure you guys from NZ are making much sense! Fly brains controlling bikes....:crazy: lol....

Moulton bikes use hydrolastic suspension (not quite in the sense you're talking about) but that would make sense since he invented it.

Soooo.... have we efffectively answered the original question to any degree?

Lahar, I'd be curious to know your thoughts on floating BB designs- Mongoose, Maverick, etc.
Apart from the unsprung mass considerations fl BB's can work real well. The hybrid systems with (bb on lower rocker and GTs over complex and overweight i-drive) are possibly the best way to make a susp bike with chain bb-axle. Chain extension is drasticly reduced for good antisquat, unsprung mass only affected a little and pivots can go up towards where they should be.

If we superglued our flies to microswitches on wands infront of our wheels they would react to the bumps coming towards them and the data could raise and lower the suspension accordingly. Given the short lifespan of flies you'd need a simulator to train a supply of fresh flies.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
In college I worked with a ME professor to create a computer program that attempted to solve vibration equations to find optimal damping coefficients for a 4 wheeled lunar buggy. It was a sound set of assumptions and equations and program, but basically it never reached a solution.

All that aside, its a pretty complicated subject matter lmuch ike fluid dynamics and lots and lots of assumptions have to made to reach any analytical solutions.

But I think most of the traction equation is solved by any good quality damper. The final 10-15% that makes the real difference is rider input.

Whoops

Turbo Monkey
Jul 9, 2006
New Zealand
ok - how about a transducer on the bb that looks down to the ground below. That would give a better 'read' of the ground profile than the forks.

Make it a binary system at first - if it picks up some huge spike threshold it zaps the damper to open the floodgates.... then once that works, refine in incremental stages.

LaharDesign

Monkey
Jun 16, 2006
:lighten:
ok - how about a transducer on the bb that looks down to the ground below. That would give a better 'read' of the ground profile than the forks.

Make it a binary system at first - if it picks up some huge spike threshold it zaps the damper to open the floodgates.... then once that works, refine in incremental stages.
Definately sounds doable and promising. On the fly quantum computing could instantly solve the problems that conventional linear algorithms find so difficult however. An N bit quantum computer can solve an N variable simultaneous equation in one operation.
I'm seeing bike shops competing to breed and train the best flys for local tracks. They'd be a great moneyspinner.

Honus

Monkey
Jun 6, 2006
Boulder, CO
Apart from the unsprung mass considerations fl BB's can work real well. The hybrid systems with (bb on lower rocker and GTs over complex and overweight i-drive) are possibly the best way to make a susp bike with chain bb-axle. Chain extension is drasticly reduced for good antisquat, unsprung mass only affected a little and pivots can go up towards where they should be.
That's pretty much what I've been thinking for some time now...... I might just have to weld one up. I don't think it's the greatest DH design ever but on my rides I have to pedal up the hills.

I do have a couple of DH designs but one of them is just sooooo crazy different- I still have a few things to work out on it.

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
The problem with those is that to move the suspension, it also has to move the front triangle relative to the rider mass (even if only the lower legs), which will mean either pushing the front triangle forwards, pulling the rider backwards, or a combination of the two. The rearwards-looking axle path starts to become irrelevant because it's not actually very rearwards compared to the centre of mass, and in the end that's the critical measure of just how rearwards an axle path is. In the end they're effectively much the same as a normal fixed-BB bike.

Honus

Monkey
Jun 6, 2006
Boulder, CO
The problem with those is that to move the suspension, it also has to move the front triangle relative to the rider mass (even if only the lower legs), which will mean either pushing the front triangle forwards, pulling the rider backwards, or a combination of the two. The rearwards-looking axle path starts to become irrelevant because it's not actually very rearwards compared to the centre of mass, and in the end that's the critical measure of just how rearwards an axle path is. In the end they're effectively much the same as a normal fixed-BB bike.
Thanks for your input- this is why I brought it up. I haven't ridden any of the newer floating BB designs but I have built a couple of URT frames that have the pivot about 9" directly above the BB and they work pretty well as a XC bike. Everything changes as the travel gets longer though.......