Quantcast

Suspension tuning for changing wheel weight?

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
I just changed my tire/wheel combo and noticed that my suspension feels different. I though I was having an off day, or that my new tires might not be set up at the right pressure yet, or that my new wheels might be flexy. Then, my bud who had been following me said that my rear wheel was bouncing and bucking all over the trail, which I would assume to be related suspension set up. I did managed to drop 3-4 pounds with my wheel and tire change (Outlaws and Minnon combo to custom wheels and single ply Schwalbe Muddy Mary and Wicked Will). The suspension felt dialed prior to the wheel and tire change. I wasn't assuming that dropping a 1-2lbs per wheel would change things that much. The front wheel felt funny too, so perhaps the wheel change is an issue with suspension interaction. Thoughts?

Edit - I'm thinking of unsprung weight / moment of inertia types of issues here.

Last edited:

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
So you went lighter with the wheels, right? Add a click of rebound at each end to start with.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Theoretically you'd let out a sliver of LSC too. This is assuming you would have had more LSC before to stop the upward momentum of the wheel after it leaves the crest of a hit. Now it would need less to slow that motion.