Quantcast

talk me out of a 951.

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
These look like a sturdy option for those worrying about the tin can factor:
I love all the people who jump on the "OMG, it's going to break!!" bandwagon after 1 or 2 pictures show up of a light DH frame that broke. Never mind that the cause of the breakage was some sort of crazy freak accident.

Cam McCaul stacks hard on the redbull rampage 60 ft. gap... Later on doesn't even remember the interview he gave because he knocked himself silly and everyone goes "OMG!!!! He dented the frame!! It's like a tin can!"

Some dude racing his 951 in Australia nose cases/lawn darts while wide open ON THE WRONG SIDE OF THE LANDING and busts his head tube off. Dude gets a new front triangle in the mail from intense and doesn't complain, mainly because he's happy to be alive, but everyone on the internet goes "OMG!! Broken frame! They must be too light!!!"

Any frame out there has a breaking point, and there's lots of people in the world who are good at finding them. Shoot, I cracked the headtube/top tube weld on my 06 Izimu, but I haven't cracked my 951 yet... does that mean Izimu's must have thinner wall tubing than a 951?? :rolleyes:

Slater

Monkey
Oct 10, 2007
All Im saying is he is comparing 2 completely different bikes with 2 differnt suspension designs. Some people like the VP, some like 4 bar.
I'm saying the general populous would be amazed with how similar the two actually are kinematically, and the "huge difference between vpp/horst/SP/Unicorns" is not really that huge.

Marketing is the difference.

Banshee Rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
I'm saying the general populous would be amazed with how similar the two actually are kinematically, and the "huge difference between vpp/horst/SP/Unicorns" is not really that huge.

Marketing is the difference.
I agree with this for long travel bikes, but there are differences to be felt on short travel bikes by those who actually log saddle time.

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
SWEET!!

How many do you need again for a degree?
Not sure. I never passed. I kept getting confused on the "Compare and contrast Giant's Maestro, DW-Link, VPP and the Cove Shocker" part of the test.

I also got marked down for improper use of the word "Anti-squat"

AzN_devil

Monkey
Jun 18, 2009
Hong Kong
reasons not to get the 951
a - all the bearings on the left side of my bike are stuck down after a few months
i grease them every ride through the zerk fitting and disassemble every part on the rear every 3 months to clean it

b - there is a rubbing mark on my bottom vpp linkage for some reason..maybe this is because my bearings are dead and the frame decides to rub itself against the linkage piece

c - the quality control seems to be sh!t...on some frames..the rear end is either slanted to the left or to the right..its very noticeable as well if you look at the whole frame from the top or rear...some = 4/6 of the frames i saw at a bike store

but then there are good points to the 951 as well...
it rides nicely..soaks up 80% of the stuff you throw at it...corners nice

do i regret buying a 951? sort of...
i dont really know how long this frame will last...i was hoping it'd last 1 year at least but from what im seeing this might not happen

Tedman

Monkey
Oct 27, 2009
Lebanon, PA
reasons not to get the 951
a - all the bearings on the left side of my bike are stuck down after a few months
i grease them every ride through the zerk fitting and disassemble every part on the rear every 3 months to clean it
What do you mean by "stuck down"??