Quantcast

Team G-Cross Honda is No More..............FINISHED

Akula_7

Monkey
Nov 15, 2004
Where Minnaar and Fairclough are gonna go is a big ???

http://www.dirtmag.co.uk/news/category/press release/team-g-cross-honda-finished/dirt-123686.html

Read on.

Following an announcement by Honda at the end of the final JCF race series in Japan at the weekend, it can be confirmed that Team G Cross Honda will not be continuing. 23 Degrees Sports Management, the company hired by the Honda Racing Corporation to manage the international mountain bike race activities for the company, confirms today that the program will have no future beyond 2007. According to the statement released by Honda Racing Corporation:

"First of all, we want to express our gratitude to Team Director Martin Whiteley, riders Greg Minnaar, Matti Lehikoinen, Brendan Fairclough, and Cyrille Kurtz, and the talented technical staff of 23 Degrees for their complete understanding and cooperation to the challenge; realising a completely new and world class race category for Honda.

As a motorcycle manufacturer, we had achieved the approach of this challenge by applying our technology which has been cultivated by our motorcycle development, and getting some feedback to our motorcycle technology is one of the purposes of our entry into the downhill mountain bike racing activity. The original "RN01" technology for example, frame and suspension, was designed utilizing off road motorcycle technology, including a very special centrally mounted gearbox that is able to change shift at any time; these were improved repeatedly, and were completed as we expected and hoped it would when we started this project back in 2000.

The correctness of direction, and our approach, has been validated by the fact that we have been the number one international team for the past 2 years, and proven by the race results including acquisition of the NORBA title (2004) and UCI World Cup title (2005). Again, we wish to express our gratitude to all team members and persons related to this project, and want all members of the team to continue aiming at success in all the challenges that lay before them. We deeply appreciate the cooperation and warm guidance we received as a company from both the race scene and the bicycle industry, allowing us to learn a lot over these years, and of course, we greatly appreciate and respect the warm and sincere appreciation of our efforts by the fans of Team G Cross Honda, which was obvious at every race we attended.

" Statement from 23 Degrees Sports Management CEO Martin Whiteley: "Team G Cross Honda has been a very important part of the international race scene over the past 4 years, and the successes have been well documented. However, I think the greatest success of the project has been the way in which it has asked the participants (riders, fans, media, sponsors) to look at our sport in a different light, and to think outside the box when it comes to race technology and the approach to racing.

As a company we are indeed indebted to the Honda Racing Corporation for having the confidence in our abilities to carry out their objectives, but we are also extremely appreciative of the co-sponsors that joined in with our efforts, namely Alpinestars, Maxxis, Showa, Formula, Mavic, Funn, SDG, SRAM, Motorex, Sapim, PowerBar, Chris King and ODI. I also want to pay a particular tribute to the talented riders and staff who have formed part of the World Team since 2004, namely riders Greg Minnaar, Matti Lehikoinen, Brendan Fairclough and Cyrille Kurtz, as well as mechanics Mike Van Zyl, Mark Maurissen and Adam Bonney, Road Manager Paul Schlitz and Photographer Gary Perkin. Their contributions have been invaluable."

lockstock

Monkey
Mar 6, 2007
^^ yeah i reckon that may have had an influence, as well as Stoner(and ducati/b'stone) slaying the MotoGP field.

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
Man, that really sucks for the team. I do think DH racing will go on with out Honda and thier cool bikes and be ok. But, it really sucks for the ones that made that team what it is. I hope someone grabs up the talent fast and gives them a great ride for 08.

LukeD

Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
Massachusetts
wow. to be honest I kind of saw it coming when Honda announced that they would not be making and selling the RN01. once that announcement was made...what would be the point of continuing in the future..

rumor starter...
Minnaar to Intense. haha just kiddin

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
It's a bummer our sport is losing such a high profile team. I wonder what kind of shift this will bring with teams as more talented riders are looking for teams? Will some of the lower level pro riders be out of luck when it comes to sponsorship (not like there was much money to begin with)?

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
I think if you're a top 50 World rider, even top 20 US rider, you should have a sports agent to negotiate your contract for you.

No way any of the pros are getting their true "value" to the brand they represent. Heck, Specialized and Trek are the two biggest MTB brands there are and it would be very interesting to see what they pay their top riders compared to someone like Santa Cruz or Intense, who don't do near the sales volume?

SPINTECK

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2005
abc
That's a big hit for the sport. Of course Honda and it's pro's didn't really do much to grow the sport at the lower levels.

I also think the US economy and lack of extra funds by the average consumer to buy $4000 bikes hurts the future of the market. But some hunters will always refinace their house for a 4 wheeler, which is fine, but it sucks americans don't have the same priorities/extra cash for bikes.

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
I think if you're a top 50 World rider, even top 20 US rider, you should have a sports agent to negotiate your contract for you.

No way any of the pros are getting their true "value" to the brand they represent. Heck, Specialized and Trek are the two biggest MTB brands there are and it would be very interesting to see what they pay their top riders compared to someone like Santa Cruz or Intense, who don't do near the sales volume?
So true...................

Very interesting article about Chris Horner on the road side and him possible looking for a new team and market worth.

http://www.velonews.com/news/fea/13514.0.html

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
So true...................

Very interesting article about Chris Horner on the road side and him possible looking for a new team and market worth.

http://www.velonews.com/news/fea/13514.0.html
Here is a perfect example from that article:
Since the Mercury fiasco of 2001, when team riders were not paid for a substantial part of the season, Horner has worked with agent Michael Rutherford, who has also represented Floyd Landis, Nathan O'Neill and Ryder Hesjedal. Industry estimates put Horner's market value at between $200,000 and $300,000. Horner said there are "seven or eight" teams he would like to ride for in 2008.
He actually knows what his paycheck SHOULD be. And he can prove it. Ask a top 20 guy in Worlds what their 'VALUE" is and see what answer you get. Ask a top 20 guy in the US what their "VALUE" is.
Wow....to think, I might be willing to bet that the top 5 might even know that answer!

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
The writing has been on the wall for the past few weeks. This just confirms what everyone was pretty sure was coming. At least they did it early enough to allow the riders to find new contracts.

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
Road teams got money, even during this lull.

Gravity mtb teams got jack.
Any outside money coming in will be sporadic and random (see Honda).

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
It does seem to me, like most of the XC/Road/Triathlon elite tend to look at racing as more of a job, and like any job no matter how much you like it, you still want to get paid.

I think the DH set tend to look at it more as a hobby/lifestyle and as long as some one is footing part of the bill they're happy.

Some guys have figured it out EC and BL come to mind.

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA

That's because we let it happen, people are ok with the status quo. Before LeMond one his second tour roadies got paid jack. He came in the next year and said listen i bust my ass i help sell bikes I want to be paid fairly. He walked away with a 1+ million dollar contract.

That was by far the largest contract ever given to any rider, and now it's nothing special.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Wow.

That's insane. Honda and HRC brought so much to the international DH scene in the way of new tech, amazing rider support, etc...

HRC really believed that the RN01 wouldn't be a viable product? Even in a yearly limited production run basis?

That sucks - especially for Fairclough being the new guy on the team so to speak.

Man, the end of this season has been nuts.

Minaar goes to Haro... Intense to build a re-issue Haro Werx DHR for 08'... FRO version.

:biggrin:

TGR

Monkey
Jan 9, 2006
Wow.

That's insane. Honda and HRC brought so much to the international DH scene in the way of new tech, amazing rider support, etc...

HRC really believed that the RN01 wouldn't be a viable product? Even in a yearly limited production run basis?

That sucks - especially for Fairclough being the new guy on the team so to speak.

Man, the end of this season has been nuts.

Minaar goes to Haro... Intense to build a re-issue Haro Werx DHR for 08'... FRO version.
:biggrin:

well they'll probably just take a socom and slap some haro stickers on it(like they did with the m-1/werkx dhr something)... :D

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
If DH bikes sold in the same manner as road bikes (both in overall numbers and at full retail) you'd see DHers making the same salaries. Get more mountains opened up, get more people involved in the sport, etc. Remember, road biking has a 100 year head start on DH...

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
Road also has considerably more attraction to a wider range of people. Not many 35+ doctors want to get out on a hill after a golf game and fly down a mountain. Road is much more peaceful. That helps it appeal to a much wider buying base, so, it makes more sense to advertise there.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
If DH bikes sold in the same manner as road bikes (both in overall numbers and at full retail) you'd see DHers making the same salaries. Get more mountains opened up, get more people involved in the sport, etc. Remember, road biking has a 100 year head start on DH...
road biking also has the advantage of not requiring riders to go many hours out of their ways (on average, my guess) to find even quasi-legal riding spots.

i sold my dh bike when i realized that driving from seattle to vancouver or whistler each weekend was ridiculous.

John P.

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Golden, CO
road biking also has the advantage of not requiring riders to go many hours out of their ways (on average, my guess) to find even quasi-legal riding spots.

i sold my dh bike when i realized that driving from seattle to vancouver or whistler each weekend was ridiculous.
You should have just moved back east! ;-)

Seriously, though, I live on the coast of Maine, and I can count at least 12 lift-serviced bike parks within a 5 hour drive of my house (inlcuding 3 within 2 hours). Guys in MA, NH, and VT have it even better.

At this point, in terms of convenience, it doesn't seem much more difficult to get into DHing than it does to get into skiing/snowboarding if you live in the right areas. I wonder whether it's just a matter of marketing or if it will really take a fundamental paradigm shift to kick the whole culture in the ass?

Anyway, sucks to see Honda gone. :( They brought a level of professionalism to the scene that was unprecedented.

--JP

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
ah, but the skiing comparison is apt, and does not play in dh's favor: there are no less than 6 ski areas within 3h of seattle (alpental, snoqualmie, white pass, stevens pass, crystal, baker). none of them offer summer lift service for biking, even though a handful of them did in past years.

i suppose the east coast's abundance of summer lift service makes up for the lack of snow that those same lifts "service" in the winter.

;)

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
ah, but the skiing comparison is apt, and does not play in dh's favor: there are no less than 6 ski areas within 3h of seattle (alpental, snoqualmie, white pass, stevens pass, crystal, baker). none of them offer summer lift service for biking, even though a handful of them did in past years.

i suppose the east coast's abundance of summer lift service makes up for the lack of snow that those same lifts "service" in the winter.

;)
doesn't it pretty much piss the rain on that whole area during the summer?

jeremyb

Monkey
Dec 3, 2004
Christchurch, New Zealand

Downhill is a fringe sport whereas road is super mainstream, you just have to look at the Tour De France, most watched sporting event in the world with like 2 billion TV viewers and 800,000 spectators on average for each stage, thats why they get the money, if DH can produce the people watching the sponsors will come :)