Quantcast

Team G-Cross Honda is No More..............FINISHED

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
This will not happen until downhill gets reinvented as something totally other than what it is right now. DH is not a spectator-friendly sport. One person against the clock down a course that cannot be mostly seen from one point. It is too akin to downhill skiing, which at least has the interest-factor of being an Olympic sport.
Not to mention Ski hills and courses are generally devoid of trees and other such camera-blocking annoyances. Its hard to film DH due to many of the trails being so enclosed.

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
Skiers also have sponsors like:
Mercedez
Rolex
Bulova
Cartier
Gucci
Diesel
Porsche
Motorola
True, because they work at getting them. MTB racing doesn't seem to have marketing skills many other sports seem too. I think a lot of the guys running other types of racing are much more hungry for success.

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
Forgive my ignorance, but are trade teams ranked by the UCI? I couldn't find a list. I was just going by WC series and championship wins (in my head). Doesn't seem like they would be tops, but I may very well be wrong.
Ranking the trade teams doesn't carry the weight it used too......makes for good PR blabber for 23 Degrees though.

Back when they were multiple huge factory teams it meant alot.....

Ozzer

Monkey
Dec 21, 2003
Life Ends at 619
It would seem that as time goes on this would get easier to do since TV cameras are getting smaller and lighter, would be easier to get them up in the woods.

I think the recent release of the MTB Flick -Illusionary LInes - really showed a cool potential for a future race coverage. Some clips showed the racer from the start gate and almost all the way to the finish with split times and all.

Imagine a WC Live coverage televised from top to bottom and Steve Hobbs as the commentator. :p

yeah...uhm

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
I think the recent release of the MTB Flick -Illusionary LInes - really showed a cool potential for a future race coverage. Some clips showed the racer from the start gate and almost all the way to the finish with split times and all.

Imagine a WC Live coverage televised from top to bottom and Steve Hobbs as the commentator. :p

yeah...uhm
The chick in your avatar is my next DH bike. Gonna huck it.

MinorThreat

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
Nine Mile Falls, WA

yeah...uhm
The fact remains that no matter how many cameras you train on it, it's still just one person on the course against a clock. It appeals to us because we understand it.

Think back to the last winter Olympics - - what was more fun/interesting to watch: downhill or boarder-cross?

Downhill needs the equivalent of a J.C. Agajanian to kick it into gear as a spectator (and thus TV) draw.

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
well, one good thing that i can think of that has come from this is that dw might finally get back to working on gearboxes? he stop working on them because he said honda had loads of patent on it and he would be better focusing his efforts else where...but he is busy with orion or what ever its called now...:monkeydance:

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
well, one good thing that i can think of that has come from this is that dw might finally get back to working on gearboxes? he stop working on them because he said honda had loads of patent on it and he would be better focusing his efforts else where...but he is busy with orion or what ever its called now...:monkeydance:
Well the fact would remain that Honda would still have those patents, whether they are actively in the game or not...

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
if this was indeed true then nothing has changed: honda's patents don't magically disappear along with their racing presence.

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
Well the fact would remain that Honda would still have those patents, whether they are actively in the game or not...
true, but the fact that they are not going to be in the game anymore or be producing any bike products could be enough of a reason for dw to do something? i am sure dw didn't continue with his work on gearboxes because he was thinking that one day honda would be selling them and offer a good product, even by dw's standards?

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
true, but the fact that they are not going to be in the game anymore or be producing any bike products could be enough of a reason for dw to do something? i am sure dw didn't continue with his work on gearboxes because he was thinking that one day honda would be selling them and offer a good product, even by dw's standards?
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't it the opposite? I thought DW mentioned something to the effect of possibly working WITH Honda on something?

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
he didn't name the company, but he is right now working with big brand bike company on his orion suspension, the dw link tuned for bikes.

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
Well, let's quit bitching and simply GET DH RACING INTO THE OLYMPICS!

If XC, BMX and Skateboarding are all Olympic sports, getting DH in as well is completely feasible.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Well, let's quit bitching and simply GET DH RACING INTO THE OLYMPICS!

If XC, BMX and Skateboarding are all Olympic sports, getting DH in as well is completely feasible.
Which other summer games sports need a venue limiting mountain nearby? Also, to add another cycling event they need to drop one. Each sport is limited to the amount of disciplines it can have. They have already had to dump a ton of road and track based events to get in XC and BMX and the roadies are up in arms.

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
Which other summer games sports need a venue limiting mountain nearby? Also, to add another cycling event they need to drop one. Each sport is limited to the amount of disciplines it can have. They have already had to dump a ton of road and track based events to get in XC and BMX and the roadies are up in arms.
Yep, personally i don't think they should cut anymore road or track events.

Ozzer

Monkey
Dec 21, 2003
Life Ends at 619
Speaking of BMX in the Olympics, there shld be some e-spuculations on whether the world will see BMXers and groms with low rider pants and chain wallets on TV. Oh wait, the world has seen it...the Xgames. :p

Like Kendall said, quit bitchin. Why not put Slopestyle in the Olympics while we're at it?

This whole who's riding for who kinda thingie reminds me of basketball players (and this was my first sport) yapping and moaning about player trades and free agents. In reality, all these transactions do not have anything to do with their lives or the way they play. Silly.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
you were an asian basketball player?! :D

i agree that this is all silly, however, even if i would have bought a honda dh bike given half a chance.

Ozzer

Monkey
Dec 21, 2003
Life Ends at 619
you were an asian basketball player?! :D

i agree that this is all silly, however, even if i would have bought a honda dh bike given half a chance.
That's an asian baller with a 42"+ vertical leap (then), sir. :p

I would have sold some body parts for a Honda frame too..but not because of who rode it and what not. It's just hawt..

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
Wurd. With chicago in the running for the summer games......Kind of nixes places like that. If you've never been to Illinois lemme tell you.....no DH here!