Quantcast

Tell me about fruita

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
yeah with no suspension and side pull brakes...it was easy...
Actually I only rode Moab on my rigid bike. Porcupine Rim. Backwards. :shocked: :o:

the rocks have since gotten bigger making it much harder...:picsstfu:
Actually it's almost always erosion.... what once was smooth-ish trail becomes a cobbly, rocky mess. Until the local trail group comes in and cleans it up. :D

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
rigid? :vomit:
Well.. it *was* 1994. And we didn't know any better. We camped right at the Porc trail outlet, saw the sign... said "Hey - I heard about this trail. It's supposed to be pretty good." And proceeded to climb and climb and climb and climb. Ran out of water... climbed some more. Buddy ran out. Climbed some more. Rode down the "proper" uphill section and dumped out on Sandflats. We commented on how it wasn't such a great trail. And we were too knackered to contemplate riding it back down. :D

rode it last year on my bullit. wayyyyy too much bike. especially on the climb.
Yeah - I've ridden it a bunch on FS XC bikes and that has always seemed more than sufficient.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
rigid? :vomit:

rode it last year on my bullit. wayyyyy too much bike. especially on the climb.
porky? forward or backward?

That climb is weak...if you are riding it forward, the bullit would be fun on the way down...I rode it once on an asx another on an evil soviergn...

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
so someone was telling me that there is a way to shuttle porcy and skip the climb? any word on that? I think we will be doing plenty of pedaling the other days...

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
Shuttle from Chilli Pepper bike shop at 10am each day.

$10 per rider drops you at the trailhead. There you can watch the driver's wacky dog go nuts!

We usually park our car at the end of the Porc rim trail (There's a parking lot on you right) Ride into town to the bike shop for the shuttle.

End of the ride you have cold beer (Colorado beer) waiting for you in the ice box!

Ending the ride with the road ride to town sucks!

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
porky? forward or backward?

That climb is weak...if you are riding it forward, the bullit would be fun on the way down...I rode it once on an asx another on an evil soviergn...
fwd (canyon on left, then curl ccw along "trail" until massive overlook, where the descent begins). yes, it was fun on the bullit, but still had lotsa bike left over. no real hucking potential.
Jozz said:
i didn't expect it would so much; you are so very right.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Shuttle from Chilli Pepper bike shop at 10am each day.

$10 per rider drops you at the trailhead. There you can watch the driver's wacky dog go nuts!

We usually park our car at the end of the Porc rim trail (There's a parking lot on you right) Ride into town to the bike shop for the shuttle.

End of the ride you have cold beer (Colorado beer) waiting for you in the ice box!

You know we might do that, i know exactly what you are talking about done it a few times and it does suck with knobbies...

stinky|Dan

Monkey
Aug 3, 2002
All I can say is that i'm extremely jealous. I rode Moab for one day a few years ago and loved it so much. I'll be back.

Tmeyer

Monkey
Mar 26, 2005
SLC
In fruita, make sure to eat at the little mexican joint (Pancho's Villa I think) Cheap fast and a blessing after the incredible riding that Fruita has to offer. Bookcliffs area is superb, huge views, buff singletrack and usually pretty quiet due to the vast trail choices. I was on a FR bike and a lot of the time was wishing for a HT with semislicks, its that smooth. Have fun and just to let you know I"M SUPER JEALOUS!

Also, do the extended Porcupine Ridge descent in Moab. Much longer and well worth it. Some shops run shuttles all the way up to the extended loop for like 15 bucks, well worth it IMO.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
wow some last minute goodness...so i should definately run the larsons i brought? damnit its that smooth, i have some seen some raged stuff...so if i have 3 days what should i ride?

Tmeyer

Monkey
Mar 26, 2005
SLC
Larsons will be perfect, 3 days in fruita will allow you to hit the best spots, long day at bookcliffs and then just explore..

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
Also, do the extended Porcupine Ridge descent in Moab. Much longer and well worth it. Some shops run shuttles all the way up to the extended loop for like 15 bucks, well worth it IMO.
Please see post #57

;)

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
*delete*

Haha, just realized they left today.

Well have fun, I loved my time out there.

The Ito

P.S. Can we all gush some more about how awesome Fruita is? Cause seriously, that place is amazing.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Ok just got back into the office today, Fruita was unreal, cleaned more fun...wahoo...

Pancho Via or whatever SUCKED what is wrong with you people...

zippity doo dah...incredible.

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
Ok just got back into the office today, Fruita was unreal, cleaned more fun...wahoo...

you better have spent all night post processing your pics...

where is the ride report nOowbE

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five

Mmm, More Fun was one of my favorites. Wish I had a suspension fork for that trail. Which direction did you do it?

And ya, what about the Horse Thief entrance? Burly, no?

The Ito

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
What about the entrance to Horsethief?

We went to do it but decided to head back the next morning, never made it back...My bad, i dont know that i could have gotten it...MAYBE...God Mary's loop was crowded that day...

We had already ridden almost ever trail on that side (More Fun, Steves, Mary's and another)....

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
I think he must've done it east to west. If he cleaned it west to east, I bow *DOWN* to the master.... :D
I did it from the turn in the gravel road up the hill and down all the steep switch backs to the cow gate i believe that was east to west (judging by our view of I-70). I was kidding didnt come close to cleaning some of those uphills on a 35 lb freeride bike with a 7" fork...But on the way down i think i almost cleaned it...We pedaled our FR bikes all over the MTNS this past week, my legs were loving me.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
We went to do it but decided to head back the next morning, never made it back...My bad, i dont know that i could have gotten it...MAYBE...God Mary's loop was crowded that day...

We had already ridden almost ever trail on that side (More Fun, Steves, Mary's and another)....
Mack Ridge? Troy Built?

Did you guys get over to the Junction trails? Eagle's Wing, Holy Cross, The Ribbon?

Looking forward to the photos, man! :thumb: