Quantcast

The 2007 Turner DHR

dhrace507

Monkey
Apr 2, 2004
Mountains
Yes, it exists, here are a few quick numbers on it, I unfortunately don't have an angle finder, but it is definitely slacker than the last one. It's dope. Off to Sea Otter!

Medium Frame- 10.7 pounds with steel spring on a DHX with paint, seat collar, axle and hanger. About 10.2 with the Ti spring

13.6 bb (with 2.1 semi slick dh tire for the Otter), a regular 2.5 will make it 14 even.
21 inch top tube center to center across the frame
17.4 chainstays
27.5 standover by the seatmast
Production color will be a metallic grey

37.5 pounds as it sits.

Attachments

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
me to me to.....:poster_oops:

wow love it, super low, has a lower bb than the sunday should rail berms, how hevey is the frame with an air?
BB is about the same or slightly higher than the Sunday

13.6 bb (with 2.1 semi slick dh tire for the Otter), a regular 2.5 will make it 14 even.
Weight with DHX air

coma13

Turbo Monkey
Feb 14, 2006
looks SO awesome.... i'm glad i resisted the urge to pull the trigger on a SOCOM...

julian_dh

Monkey
Jan 10, 2005
wow i cant belive i DON'T like it, i must be crazy or somethin', the colour however is sick.

coma13

Turbo Monkey
Feb 14, 2006
wow i cant belive i DON'T like it, i must be crazy or somethin', the colour however is sick.
To be honest, I don't think it looks that great in that picture either... In person, however, it's a whole different animal. It looks FAST!

dhrace507

Monkey
Apr 2, 2004
Mountains
So, the initial ride report:
This is only in comparison to the Turner DHR's of the last couple years, and only from the Sea Otter DH course, with a couple flat corners, some berms and jumps. The course even had a bit of higher speed sections this year too.
Fit: The bike has a much more rearward weight bias, the chainstays are shorter for one, but I think this is also due to the headtube difference. I asked DT what the head angle was and he said the headtube is 65. The bike is also really low, not just bottom brackett, but just general standover. I don't notice contact on the top tube as much as the previous DHR. Shorter reach to the stem (even with a 50mm stem this year compared to a 40mm last).
Suspension: The suspension feels the same as before, but I've got a ti spring now compared to a steel from last year, and ti feels way better. Maybe it's mental, maybe it is really better.
Stiffness: The back end feels a bit more solid on this model, and with a wider stance, the whole bike feels more solid. (83mm shell with 150 rear end compared to 73 and 135 from years past)
Little stuff: I'm happy to say the new derailler hanger is SUPER beefy. The axle threads into it, and there are no more small M4 bolts to bend. Huge improvement. I also like the ability to run a King headset (or any normal headset for that matter).

Cave Dweller

Monkey
May 6, 2003
Do you have anymore pics?? Yours is still the only built one i have seen. Wouldn't mind a direct side on shot to see the angles.

And can you confirm what the bb height is with a normal tire? Turner quote 14.4 and you said 14. Thanks

dhrace507

Monkey
Apr 2, 2004
Mountains
Here are some more pictures of the bike, as requested in full DH setup. With 2.5 dh tires front and rear, it is 38.3 pounds. It could definitely be built lighter, but with no carbon bars, no integrated crown/stem, DT competition (instead of ti, supercomp, or revolution) spokes with 823 rims and Holzfeller cranks this should be a realistic race weight for the bike. I know the initial claimed bb height was 14.4, but right now it is just a hair under 14. I have my fork set at 7.5 inches of travel, so an 8 inch fork will make like a 14.2 bb given the same headset and fork level in the crowns.

Attachments