Quantcast

The big fat movie thread

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
dunkirk....seen....needs subtitles

atomic blonde....PFA....pretty fucking awesome

finally....my favorite alcoholic cop is on the big screen....

although why they are starting off with book five in the series is strange.

and i think daniel craig would have been a better alcoholic.

i would rather they do a tv series on hbo/showtime/skinomax/hulu/netflix etc..etc..etc..

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
dunkirk....seen....needs subtitles

atomic blonde....PFA....pretty fucking awesome

finally....my favorite alcoholic cop is on the big screen....

although why they are starting off with book five in the series is strange.

and i think daniel craig would have been a better alcoholic.

i would rather they do a tv series on hbo/showtime/skinomax/hulu/netflix etc..etc..etc..
Dunkirk is a movie you either see in Imax or not see at all. Overall I think Imax is the best cinematic experience one can have. I'm so happy they are dropping 3D in all of their cinemas. 2D Imax > any other cinema including stereocopic 3d bs.

As for Atomic Blonde - My company is selling this and I'm a bit dissapointed. The hype in our company was beyond the limit and despite loving berlin, 80s, the music and all the actors I feel underwhelmed. No reason to care for what is happening because the story is a bit shit plus it tries waaay to hard to be cool, like a kid with acne who got inspired by vanilla ice. Some scenes work but I'd watch John Wick 2 or The Raid 1 and 2 any number of times over this.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Dunkirk is a movie you either see in Imax or not see at all. Overall I think Imax is the best cinematic experience one can have. I'm so happy they are dropping 3D in all of their cinemas. 2D Imax > any other cinema including stereocopic 3d bs.

As for Atomic Blonde - My company is selling this and I'm a bit dissapointed. The hype in our company was beyond the limit and despite loving berlin, 80s, the music and all the actors I feel underwhelmed. No reason to care for what is happening because the story is a bit shit plus it tries waaay to hard to be cool, like a kid with acne who got inspired by vanilla ice. Some scenes work but I'd watch John Wick 2 or The Raid 1 and 2 any number of times over this.
i saw dunkirk in imax....my hearing is just shit for british accents

no thoughts on the snowman?

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
i saw dunkirk in imax....my hearing is just shit for british accents

no thoughts on the snowman?
I'm excited for the snowman. I really liked another movie based on a Jo Nesbo novel - Headhunters. I also like the director and the cast. The trailer looked a bit too much like "Girl on the train" but that's just shitty marketing.

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
I'm excited for the snowman. I really liked another movie based on a Jo Nesbo novel - Headhunters. I also like the director and the cast. The trailer looked a bit too much like "Girl on the train" but that's just shitty marketing.
Headhunters was such an unpretentious, twisty little thriller and just good entertainment all around. Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy is one of my favorites of the last decade, so i also have high hopes for The Snowman.

I have now seen Free Fire four times in two weeks, guess i like it. Other than maybe A Field in England, Ben Wheatly can do no wrong.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Headhunters was such an unpretentious, twisty little thriller and just good entertainment all around. Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy is one of my favorites of the last decade, so i also have high hopes for The Snowman.

I have now seen Free Fire four times in two weeks, guess i like it. Other than maybe A Field in England, Ben Wheatly can do no wrong.
I'm mixed on Wheatly. I really like kill list but that movie about a pair of british psychos is strange and I'm not sure what to think about it. As for Free Fire - I watched it the 2nd time only to show it to my friend from south africa and poke fun at her. Coopley is great here. I really like the movie even though I knew what was going to happen since that's still one of the cons of my job.

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
I'm mixed on Wheatly. I really like kill list but that movie about a pair of british psychos is strange and I'm not sure what to think about it. As for Free Fire - I watched it the 2nd time only to show it to my friend from south africa and poke fun at her. Coopley is great here. I really like the movie even though I knew what was going to happen since that's still one of the cons of my job.
Even if i didn't "enjoy" it as much as Kill List (one of the most uncomfortable films i've seen), i liked Sightseers just for the aspect of the "ginger-faced man and the angry woman" working through their relationship issues by means of murder.

The poster pretty much gives away what's going to happen in Free Fire and i was loathe to see it since i cannot stand shoot outs, but i just found it so well written and subtly funny - and it gets better with every viewing. I also thought Cillian Murphy was great, Brie Larson looks fantastic in her 70's get up and Armie Hammer is just one charming f*cker. Then there's the sound: i haven't heard guns sound this good since Heat, and there is great weapon variety.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Even if i didn't "enjoy" it as much as Kill List (one of the most uncomfortable films i've seen), i liked Sightseers just for the aspect of the "ginger-faced man and the angry woman" working through their relationship issues by means of murder.

The poster pretty much gives away what's going to happen in Free Fire and i was loathe to see it since i cannot stand shoot outs, but i just found it so well written and subtly funny - and it gets better with every viewing. I also thought Cillian Murphy was great, Brie Larson looks fantastic in her 70's get up and Armie Hammer is just one charming f*cker. Then there's the sound: i haven't heard guns sound this good since Heat, and there is great weapon variety.
The script was very fun to read. It surprised me since Wheatley didn't use stylish and funny dialogue before.

As for the guns yeah that was interesting. Overall it felt very real and palpable. Something Baby Driver and Atomic Blonde lacked for me. Though if we talk action movies overall not guns alone Raid 1 and 2 are still benchmarks for me.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
even though they set up the snowman for a sequel....doubt it will happen given how poorly it did....

doing press for this movie is going to be fun....every scene kevin spacey is in is being re shot whith christopher plummer as getty....

your thoughts on hollywoods rape problems?

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
even though they set up the snowman for a sequel....doubt it will happen given how poorly it did....

doing press for this movie is going to be fun....every scene kevin spacey is in is being re shot whith christopher plummer as getty....

your thoughts on hollywoods rape problems?
Doing press for this movie will be fun since I'm working on this movie...

Given that my country is a backwoods shithole when it comes to sexism half of my company is outraged they did that because "are we going to burn all art now?". Of course they were to lazy to realize it's 14 acusers now including people who have nothing to gain from him. Also many of whom are underage with one count of rape. So yeah, "what's all the fuss about".

I think it's good the days when publicists hid all your scandal and allowed you to be a galactic asshole are ending. I think it would be only possible now not only because people are a bit more aware and less forgiving of such behaviour but also because names in the movie business matter less.

Overall I don't think they thrown out Spacey for moral reasons but because they had no choice. It's a smart move. It's a movie that will get a platform release with big cities seeing it first and with Spacey it would get annihilated. Plus Scott wants an Oscar and with Spacey it's impossible. I'm really curious if academy members will vote for Plummer just as a fuck you to Spacey.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
It will only get addressed if it costs them a lot of money.
Or when it's safe to do so - as in Weinstein was in financial trouble anyway, Spacey is a pedophile so they had to axe him. I'm sure Warner Bros is thanking Jesus for Spacey shit spilling out since a few days earlier some of Bret Ratners slimey behaviour came out and he's no longer just a director, now he is one of their biggest financiers so they'd have a choice to look like they support the hollywood toxic male shitbags or loose 400mil in funding.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
@Pesqueeb....not a movie....netflix series....may be of vital interest to you...

I'm worried. I hope it's good but netflix seems to be buying a lot of stuff at random. Well not really since people actually watch their random not so good stuff but yeah a lot of what they buy seems good only on paper (looking at you War Machine). Though I should be nice since I really want to be part of their aquisitions team :P

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
I know it's not movies but has anyone seen Jean Claude Van Johnson? I have heard amazing things

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
@Pesqueeb.....amazons turn......

This intrigues me. Minority Report is one of my favorite movies. The thing about a Dick story is that they are old enough they can't just be "put into movie form". For instance, if you read the original story it talks about how Anderton has to put punch cards into a computer, where in the movie tom cruise just does the fancy swiping in the air stuff, so a lot is open to how someone wants to visualize something that even Phillip K Dick couldn't have imagined at the time.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
This intrigues me. Minority Report is one of my favorite movies. The thing about a Dick story is that they are old enough they can't just be "put into movie form". For instance, if you read the original story it talks about how Anderton has to put punch cards into a computer, where in the movie tom cruise just does the fancy swiping in the air stuff, so a lot is open to how someone wants to visualize something that even Phillip K Dick couldn't have imagined at the time.
I've heard bad things about this one. I'm worried.

On an unrelated topic after seeing most of the oscar season movies and "Call me by your name" and "3 billboards outside ebbing missouri". Jesus both of them are good though some of you which dislike atmospheric movies about young summer flings might not like it as much. My GF dragged me to see it and I was surprised how much I liked it. Probably the best if not one of the best movies of the year.

As for 3 billboard - it's basically internet the movie so I'm sure monkeys will like it

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
From this past weekend
Geostorm - horrifically bad
Darkest Hour - very good

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
I watched "Get Out" the other day. I thought it was decent but I really don't get all the hype and the fact that it is a best picture nominee. Seems like I am in the minority (no pun intended) on this. At the risk of posting spoilers, I'll just say the cell phone flash and the teacup are two things I found dumb.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
I watched "Get Out" the other day. I thought it was decent but I really don't get all the hype and the fact that it is a best picture nominee. Seems like I am in the minority (no pun intended) on this. At the risk of posting spoilers, I'll just say the cell phone flash and the teacup are two things I found dumb.
You were not meant to to take it literally and found the movie realistic. Remember the twilight zone? It's like them. Part fantasy, part horror alegoric story. Yeah if you want to pretend this is happening in the real world then yeah the movie is bad but using that logic so are many good movies.

Also I do agree with the film that rich white people living in forest mansions on the east coast are creepy as shit.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
it is on netflix now....watching episode one...

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
It was weird. I wanted to like it, but it seemed pretty cheesy. Best part was the last 30 seconds.
The first act made no sense. People were angry at each other but since we didn't know who they are and what happened we didn't know why. They also switched between very intense emotions and calm between scenes. Like one moment it's armagedon and the other it's an opium den. Later it was like lost so a ton of ideas that make no sense but they are ideas so if we have enough of them it will be entertaining.

I was not bored by the movie but it was a bad movie. It's just an interesting catastrophe.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Discovered a Terminator film last night I'd somehow missed, Terminator Genisys. Not the greatest film ever made but it entertained us for a couple of hours.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Also this will be good

I'm quoting myself only because I finally got a chance to see it. This is good and shit your pants scary. Toni Collette should get an Oscar for a great role. To quote one review "Toni Collette does at least 3 things in Hereditary that will fuck you up for life". No jump scares but the movie is probably the scariest thing in the last 30-40 years. This will be a future classic.

June in Cinemas I think

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
In light of The Death of Stalin being released, i just want to remind you all of the eternal greatness of In the Loop.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
In light of The Death of Stalin being released, i just want to remind you all of the eternal greatness of In the Loop.

Holy Mountain
I support both of those messages. Different movies but both sooo good.

btw. Had the chance to meet the creator of The Death of Stalin (well as part of a group during a pitch) and he's a really cool guy. Down to earth and really wants to connect with people.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
I support both of those messages. Different movies but both sooo good.

btw. Had the chance to meet the creator of The Death of Stalin (well as part of a group during a pitch) and he's a really cool guy. Down to earth and really wants to connect with people.
Love Jodorowsky