ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
I actually like it, I've always thought BMW had cool looking bikes

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
Interesting bike, i'd love to ride a brooklyn sometime, but that build really is ugly, rims, stem and seatpost are hideous and the roco air could also be used as christmas tree decoration.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I think the top tube should be at the same angle as the swing arm or closer aside of that I think its pretty cool!
It looks like a smaller vs of the racelink!
No, that was the mini-link, but it was 24" rear wheel only. This has a totally different suspension and no jackshaft. They claim the idler here is just as effective, but you still get chaingrowth (versus no chain growth with a jackshaft).

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Interesting bike, i'd love to ride a brooklyn sometime, but that build really is ugly, rims, stem and seatpost are hideous and the roco air could also be used as christmas tree decoration.
Just thought it was cool! Im a canfield guy but out of curiousity would love to ride a race link or a slope ranger. Not too add to the stable but rock one for a day.
Edited: OK I looked at the stem, post and rims and yes they are FUGLY! :D the roco is good looking !PERIOD!

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Just thought it was cool! Im a canfield guy but out of curiousity would love to ride a race link or a slope ranger. Not too add to the stable but rock one for a day.
Edited: OK I looked at the stem, post and rims and yes they are FUGLY! :D the roco is good looking !PERIOD!
The racelink is still the best bike I've ever ridden. Even with outdated geometry and mondo weight, all the other characteristics outshine this shortcoming.

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
Didn't mean to hate on the bike, just thought that frame deserved better. I can't really tell from the picture, is the geometry laid out mainly for slopestyle or could this also be used as a mini dh rig? A not-too-bulky brooklyn with ~7" of travel would be really cool.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Didn't mean to hate on the bike, just thought that frame deserved better. I can't really tell from the picture, is the geometry laid out mainly for slopestyle or could this also be used as a mini dh rig? A not-too-bulky brooklyn with ~7" of travel would be really cool.
friend-o-mine/w00dy has a minilink/fq and it's tits. bike is tiny, nimble, quick, and relatively lightweight, I think it came in at 40lbs and with his upgrades it should be in the 36s. OMG is that bike neat. Tiny, quick, and the racelink style suspension is just tops, even with 6". Doccers should have polished that bike up with 26" wheels and modern geometry...the only thing hindering it is small wheels and steep angles/short TTs, but that's fixed with a 26 front.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
my big complaint has more to do with the shock placement. the original link series did a nice job of tucking away the shock and all the gear right down as low as it could go. I'm wondering what advantage if any is gained by going to the non jackshaft high shock placement setup.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
my big complaint has more to do with the shock placement. the original link series did a nice job of tucking away the shock and all the gear right down as low as it could go. I'm wondering what advantage if any is gained by going to the non jackshaft high shock placement setup.
by moving the shock from where it was behind the BB to in the middle of the front triangle really shifts the CG of the bike.

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
i imagine the main reason for going with the current layout is to accommodate standard part spec. ie, the rl / mini's had proprietary stuff going on (custom avy shock, eccentric bb & lhd profile cranks), whereas the new bike uses all standard stuff. cheaper to build & an easier sell; makes sense from a marketing perspective. that said, i still think the old bikes are some of the sexiest designs ever. i still drool over the rl, and lament not picking one up...

Jimmy_Pop

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2002
Phoenix, Az USA
the reason for the change is cause the creater of all that magic left bmw. therefore, with the new bmw stuff, you'll see swd type tubing / construction methods. that swing arm of the slope ranger is just buttaSs ugly. The racelink and mini-link looked like it took effort and giving a **** to make it look like that. not hating, just saying. there is NO comparison between Doc's construction and the new stuff. i hate to admit it but its true. but having said that, i love the bmw gangsta track bike. that thing is soo hot looking.

sikocycles

Turbo Monkey
Feb 14, 2002
CT
Will be building my refirbed RL this weekend.
Just got the fork back from Craig and waiting on brakes.

Jimmy_Pop

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2002
Phoenix, Az USA
i want a Superco DH (no paint), Avy Montie w/ Ti spring, no floater, 150mm rear end, grey or black I9 wheels, 823's, tree chainwheel, Ti spindle, profile 170mm arms, codes, RSWC, 888WC or 40RC2.

that will be tits!

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
i want a Superco DH (no paint), Avy Montie w/ Ti spring, no floater, 150mm rear end, grey or black I9 wheels, 823's, tree chainwheel, Ti spindle, profile 170mm arms, codes, RSWC, 888WC or 40RC2.

that will be tits!
why no floater? just curious. i love mine.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Your boyfriend called and said hes taking it in the back end of the line till 2010! :D
Sorry Im really bored Jon and all people are victims today, printers screwing up and putting me severly back logged!:rant:
awww I bet you're just sad face because you're not going to Germany in 3 weeks :biggrin:

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
awww I bet you're just sad face because you're not going to Germany in 3 weeks :biggrin:
Not really! Id be pushin it unprepared. I think second time around later in Summer Ill go and establish some foundation. Either way theres plenty of work here and If/when i go Im taking the wife as well. She digs traveling and its part of the reason I have not been hammered by her about taking this on.

You just want me to bring home a big german sausage for you! :D LMAO! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH! I need to bleach my brain now! Filth.

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
you can still run a normal dh rear wheel with a floater setup. just matters how the frame is designed

oiswego

Monkey
Oct 24, 2005
New Yawk
i have this to say: rl's are definitely sweet.
and to anyone who says the slope ranger is weak, take a trip to brooklyn and try out both rides.

i had the choice of an rl or a slope ranger (nearly the same price after all) and the slope ranger was definitely a cut above. the workmanship is second to none, and it definitely retains that unique brooklyn feature that only a few of us know about: despite weighing in at around 45 lbs, i can pedal this bike up a hill. that never would have happened with my old banshee scream.

the bottom line is that these bikes are progressing. the new chainline not only looks cool, it is cool. the only good reason to have a jackshaft anyways is to run a single speed dh rig. if you get a tensioner on this rig, you can to the same thing. as is, there is only about a 1 link stretch.

just because a bike is new and doesn't conform to what you think a bike company should do...doesn't make it a bad bike. typically what happens is a company will listen to what their customers want and engineer something that will fill that void.

and i can guarantee that if you took one for a spin, you'd probably start thinking of how soon you could afford to get one. it's that awesome.

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
i have this to say: rl's are definitely sweet.
and to anyone who says the slope ranger is weak, take a trip to brooklyn and try out both rides.

i had the choice of an rl or a slope ranger (nearly the same price after all) and the slope ranger was definitely a cut above. the workmanship is second to none, and it definitely retains that unique brooklyn feature that only a few of us know about: despite weighing in at around 45 lbs, i can pedal this bike up a hill. that never would have happened with my old banshee scream.

the bottom line is that these bikes are progressing. the new chainline not only looks cool, it is cool. the only good reason to have a jackshaft anyways is to run a single speed dh rig. if you get a tensioner on this rig, you can to the same thing. as is, there is only about a 1 link stretch.

just because a bike is new and doesn't conform to what you think a bike company should do...doesn't make it a bad bike. typically what happens is a company will listen to what their customers want and engineer something that will fill that void.

and i can guarantee that if you took one for a spin, you'd probably start thinking of how soon you could afford to get one. it's that awesome.

wow. who paid you to say this. the new bike is junk. no progression. they still use 4130. that tech is 10 years old. get some real steel in there to lighten it up.
using the the same tech of the swing arm with the SR is just stupid, without the drive from the left-to-the right. it gives the SR chain growth. it is not like a idler.

I can't believe its even close to the same price as the RL. its not even close to the same workmanship.

i'm sorry sir but you've been raped of your money.

edit, i have ridden both bikes. i felt quite dirty after riding the SR. no thanks. what a waste.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
the only good reason to have a jackshaft anyways is to run a single speed dh rig.
what about zero chain growth? What about better clearance from being able to put a smaller sprocket on your cranks? Oh and not needing a chainguide?

To me, those are all much better reasons than being able to run SS.

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
what about zero chain growth?
to be fair a concentric idler pulley performs identically to a jackshaft, though i agree with your other statements. though it doesn't look quite as neat, i liked the single sided jackshaft that doc tried on on his mini; same benefits, but allows the use of conventional cranks