stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Why drive around a bus if you cannot put bikes in the back? :confused:
There is more than enough roof for a rack. Just saying.

That bus has more room for bikes than my buddies ZR2 truck with that awful Baja tire mount bullshit it came with in the bed. :rofl:

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I *would* wager that the flags on the shirt would be one 'Murican and one Confederate. :D
That's more brodozer than old man sports car. But you will offten find a lot of red white and blue around.

I have pictures of a C4 from Beaches that had a gaudy stars and stripes paint job. Classic white with red interior.

<edit> now if you are talking Camaros, right @Jm_ :rofl:

FB_IMG_1699307321987.jpg

Last edited:

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
Hey All. My Son bought a 1996 Toyota T-100 SR5 Truck. Straight 6,4 wheel drive Stick.. Clean as Fuck. The Body,Interior,and engine. 200k and he is having a problem with smog. Yes I am aware of the Seller being responisble. He is not having any luck finding a catalic conveter[sp?}. Probally going tobe 1500 dollars,but I thoght I would ask you guys for help,cant hurt. They are giving him mixed thoughts on how to go about getting it to pass. Like driving x amount of miles so it can warm up? As we know you only get one shot so he is checking all the boxes.

Option B is he could drop 400 and get the smog without resolving the problem. He does not want to do that. Thank You.

Avy

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Can they register it as a historic vehicle with those plates and get around it?

Not sure how insurance would be affected - I know folks up here who used to do that had to sign a waiver that they were only driving the vehicle for pleasure use (to car shows for example).

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
Can they register it as a historic vehicle with those plates and get around it?

Not sure how insurance would be affected - I know folks up here who used to do that had to sign a waiver that they were only driving the vehicle for pleasure use (to car shows for example).
Forgot something else,sorry. The current plates are OR. That is a good thought.I will tell my son,Thanks.

Avy

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
Pretty sure '96 isn't old enough for "classic" plates in most states... but maybe?
Yeah I was thinking 1979 was to cut off to not have to get a Smog?

I guess this is "The" Truck to have for Toyota's Lovers. Son says it was the Last year it was made in Japan? Also,the truck was not sold in Japan. The truck had 1 owner and the Son was selling it after his Parent's passed. The Old Man must have kept her in the Garage and truly Loved it,all those miles he put on it,and you could eat off it. Some guy was ready to jump on a Jet from Washington,another guy wanted to send him thousands on Venmo app. Seller said,first one with Cash gets it. 9 grand.

The seller is working with my Son,but he has been on this for 3 days now and is very upset. He took it to a couple of muffler shops for Info on the Cat and they all took one look and said,I can not get that one. So,he is trying to figure it out but everything goes back to the Cat and that is why I was asking about it. We have a great Mechanic,but this is a tricky one.

Avy

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
You should be able to get a non CARB compliant catalytic converter for it. You will have to drive to a non carb complaint state to get it.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Pretty sure '96 isn't old enough for "classic" plates in most states... but maybe?
Oregon is 25 years. And if you live in a shit hole like mine, there are zero smog requirements so you can straight pipe that bitch here. :rofl:
It appears that California has "historic" plates for vehicles manufactured after 1922, but older than 25 years.

'96 puts it at 27 years old. :busted:

But no clue if that gets around the carb crap or whatever or if you can even argue the historical significance of it.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
It’s not a limited use show car. He just should buck up and buy the proper cat for it.

Pneuma

Chimp
Nov 5, 2021
Toyota does list that CAT as discontinued with no superseding part. Which, is wild.

Avy the part you need is 17420-62180

Google search shows a few hits of folks saying they have them.

It’s a v6 btw:thumb:

Last edited:

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
Toyota does list that CAT as discontinued with no superseding part. Which, is wild.

Avy the part you need is 17420-62180

Google search shows a few hits of folks saying they have them.

It’s a v6 btw:thumb:
Thank You Guy’s,my Son also said to say Thank You Guys.

First,Pneuma,you are correct with the V6,I swear he told me Straight,he was so Geeked up at the time he might have mis spoke,as Avy would have no idea? I sent him All this Info just now and he yelled at me saying I told you a V6,how could you say a Straight? He is very Hopeful.

Buck,funny thing you put that link up. I told him there is a Forum for people like us. Find it I said. He was too busy,he got an alarm today for her. He is going with a Kill switch next. In case they get pass the alarm. He was so happy with all the help. He is a wrench with cars,I could go on forever about his Dam Honda.He said Pa? Who are these people? I said they are my Mnt.Bike buddies. Why did you ask them? That is Mnt.Bike shit? True,but they are my age and have a lifetime of experience that could not hurt us for asking.

Last,the Muffler guy told him to contact the “CA Smog Dept”(not the correct name). He calls them up and they say it could be 14 days for them to get back to you. 3 hrs later he gets a call back. The guy on the phone wants The same Truck? He said he knows all about it and is going to try and give him a pass on buying a different Cat model that is common to fix this problem? Is that Crazy or what? This Dept. I have never heard of? It is there to help with matters such as this. All thoughts are still welcome cause tome he is not out of the water.

Next,boog. I understand now what you were saying after talking to my Son. I think it would pass fine in OR,it’s just CA has much tougher rules. He said he thought of that already,but does not really want to go that route. Would have to have a P.O Box in OR to go that route,amoung other things?

Avy

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Thank You Guy’s,my Son also said to say Thank You Guys.

First,Pneuma,you are correct with the V6,I swear he told me Straight,he was so Geeked up at the time he might have mis spoke,as Avy would have no idea? I sent him All this Info just now and he yelled at me saying I told you a V6,how could you say a Straight? He is very Hopeful.

Buck,funny thing you put that link up. I told him there is a Forum for people like us. Find it I said. He was too busy,he got an alarm today for her. He is going with a Kill switch next. In case they get pass the alarm. He was so happy with all the help. He is a wrench with cars,I could go on forever about his Dam Honda.He said Pa? Who are these people? I said they are my Mnt.Bike buddies. Why did you ask them? That is Mnt.Bike shit? True,but they are my age and have a lifetime of experience that could not hurt us for asking.

Last,the Muffler guy told him to contact the “CA Smog Dept”(not the correct name). He calls them up and they say it could be 14 days for them to get back to you. 3 hrs later he gets a call back. The guy on the phone wants The same Truck? He said he knows all about it and is going to try and give him a pass on buying a different Cat model that is common to fix this problem? Is that Crazy or what? This Dept. I have never heard of? It is there to help with matters such as this. All thoughts are still welcome cause tome he is not out of the water.

Next,boog. I understand now what you were saying after talking to my Son. I think it would pass fine in OR,it’s just CA has much tougher rules. He said he thought of that already,but does not really want to go that route. Would have to have a P.O Box in OR to go that route,amoung other things?

Avy
Really, a cat can just be welded into whatever piping, so as long as it can fit, you should be able to get it welded in and there you go.

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO

Avy
It would a pricey gamble in CA with your smog tests. Here in New York we are also CARB complaint but non CARB vehicles also pass our tests.

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
It would a pricey gamble in CA with your smog tests. Here in New York we are also CARB complaint but non CARB vehicles also pass our tests.
Yeah for sure. We can run a test without it being final. Which is how he got where he is. All matters go to the Cat, so I think he is getting a new one? Then go for final test. I'll let you know. Now I am wondering how much the Seller is responsible?

Avy

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
Really, a cat can just be welded into whatever piping, so as long as it can fit, you should be able to get it welded in and there you go.
What are saying Brother? Find a Cat that fits and he is good togo? Cant be that simple?

Avy