Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
anyone know anything about snow chains? I had to get my kid to push us out of the parking lot of his ski club yesterday as there was about 12" of fresh slushy snow. I have winter tires (Conti Vikings) on a front-wheel drive (manual) CX-5. I think they're on their 4th winter, not dead yet, but no longer optimal. I don't think we'll be keeping the car for more than two more winters so I don't want to invest in a new set of tires. Was thinking chains might be a good, economical option for these types of situations... Is that dreaming?

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
anyone know anything about snow chains? I had to get my kid to push us out of the parking lot of his ski club yesterday as there was about 12" of fresh slushy snow. I have winter tires (Conti Vikings) on a front-wheel drive (manual) CX-5. I think they're on their 4th winter, not dead yet, but no longer optimal. I don't think we'll be keeping the car for more than two more winters so I don't want to invest in a new set of tires. Was thinking chains might be a good, economical option for these types of situations... Is that dreaming?
Depending on the wheel size, good tire chains can cost just as much if not more than snow tires. The magic is all in the tensioning mechanism; the cheaper you go, the more of a PITA they are to take on/off. If it's very occassional use maybe that's NBD, but if you expect to need them regularly it's something to consider carefully.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Depending on the wheel size, good tire chains can cost just as much if not more than snow tires. The magic is all in the tensioning mechanism; the cheaper you go, the more of a PITA they are to take on/off. If it's very occassional use maybe that's NBD, but if you expect to need them regularly it's something to consider carefully.
this would be for very occasional use. and for very short distances on non-paved roads. Mostly to get me out of a parking lot during deep snow events. once we're back on the roads, it's fine. If the roads aren't drivable, then I won't go anywhere...

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
this would be for very occasional use. and for very short distances on non-paved roads. Mostly to get me out of a parking lot during deep snow events. once we're back on the roads, it's fine. If the roads aren't drivable, then I won't go anywhere...
They're a PITA to put on and you need to put them on before you're in deep snow and stuck ,as you need to lay them out and drive onto them.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Gotcha. Cheaper chains would suffice for that. They are usually speed rated so keep that in mind if you ever envision any real on road travel.

You looked into traction mats? Those can bs a decent solution for short stints.

Best solution is probably a shovel and some microspikes for the children. :D

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
resident cheapskate here...I'd buy a second set of tires, drive them for another two seasons, then pull them off when you go to sell the car and sell them separately. Sometimes you can get great snow tires for cheap (general altimax). New tires have made a world of difference on my grandpa genesis.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
resident cheapskate here...I'd buy a second set of tires, drive them for another two seasons, then pull them off when you go to sell the car and sell them separately. Sometimes you can get great snow tires for cheap (general altimax). New tires have made a world of difference on my grandpa genesis.
yeah, my second choice is to keep trolling the marketplace ads for used tires... third choice would be to buy new and sell them once we're done with them.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
They’re legally equivalent

that's a wonderful story

come out here and try to get through chain controls with those things

You're posting bullshit that exists to get you to BUY them

they don't even let cables over passes here

there's a chain control check 1/4 mile from my house that exists between me and my office. You can either listen to me where every bay area dumbfuck has been buying those things for the last 20 years or you can buy bullshit that will be turned around at a real chain control check

I don't really know how to convey this any more clearly but there is no dumb idea you have in denver to get up 70 that hasn't been tried by some silicon valley dumbass to move through tahoe, which legitimately gets way more difficult to travel on snow.

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I don't really know how to convey this any more clearly but there is no dumb idea you have in denver to get up 70 that hasn't been tried by some silicon valley dumbass to move through tahoe, which legitimately gets way more difficult to travel on snow slush
That was always the problem for traction, It's 31.999 degrees and potato chip flakes that are turning into a peanutbutter milkshake on the ground. I don't miss chains for one second.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
That was always the problem for traction, It's 31.999 degrees and potato chip flakes that are turning into a peanutbutter milkshake on the ground. I don't miss chains for one second.
but have you tried tire panty hose?

It always astounds me how much easier to drive on snow it is in way colder locales. You dont even really need snow tires in zero degrees if sustained.

east coast ice storms are about the only exception. That shit is either studs or stay home

gonefirefightin

free wieners
I made good money slinging iron for the truckers in meyers below echo summit back in the day as a kid, now you have to have training, license, bonded and insured as well as be inspected by state police.

@slyfink even a cheap set of cable chains from Canadian tire will do the trick it’s just slow going while driving and you can don and doff those in less than 5 min a corner with some practice

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
but have you tried tire panty hose?

It always astounds me how much easier to drive on snow it is in way colder locales. You dont even really need snow tires in zero degrees if sustained.

east coast ice storms are about the only exception. That shit is either studs or stay home

Where I went to school it was so damn cold that they would leave a few inches of packed snow on all the roads in town. Traction was great until that first thaw cycle and everything turned into ice. It was also a lot of fun to slowly drift around every corner in my shitbox RWD car.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I made good money slinging iron for the truckers in meyers below echo summit back in the day as a kid, now you have to have training, license, bonded and insured as well as be inspected by state police.

@slyfink even a cheap set of cable chains from Canadian tire will do the trick it’s just slow going while driving and you can don and doff those in less than 5 min a corner with some practice
So you were a Monkey?

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
The term was actually “throwing iron” if you were a driver, “slingers” were the installers. Trucker talk has always been a second vernacular for myself
you should come back

there's a business opportunity here

you sling heavy steel things and I'll split the profits 50/50

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I'm not sure how it gets its roadworthy cert, you aren't allowed an exhaust that exits on the footpath side. I assume it has a proper exhaust for the inspection then the one that won't make it over a speedhump for the day after.

But for a 2500HP engine bay it is close to a sleeper, there wasn't much height in those engine bays..

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I'm not sure how it gets its roadworthy cert, you aren't allowed an exhaust that exits on the footpath side. I assume it has a proper exhaust for the inspection then the one that won't make it over a speedhump for the day after.

But for a 2500HP engine bay it is close to a sleeper, there wasn't much height in those engine bays..
I think it's more a fact it's a 4 door sedan that has factory paint. I'm sure it sounds incredible, but if it's parked at the Piggly Wiggly you would not guess 2500hp.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
welp, I had a closer look at my tires (Conti Viking Contact 7). turns out they're bald. :rofl: no wonder I couldn't get anywhere with them. found my receipt, and I had them installed in Nov 2019, so I got 4 full seasons and a bit out of them. oddly, they were still great on pavement. I suppose that's what soft rubber does. When I installed them back in early December, they were no where near that bald... i guess this spell of warm weather really did a number on them.

Have an appointment to have new Blizzak's installed tomorrow. If I decide to get rid of the car within the next 4 years, I'm hoping the brand name recognition will allow them to be sold used. will try and keep track of exactly how many km I put on them now.

Last edited:

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I have to say driving around last night in the wife's car ('22 CRV) with the Blizzak's, they do really well. Her old car rolled studs and I think these are way better.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I'll take this one if you're offering. I looked at a 964 Celebration (same as the Jubilee) forever ago in the UK that was the same colour as the link below. But could barely afford it and the insurance wasn't going to happen. Would be nice to have it given the amount it looks like they're worth now.

Last edited: