Quantcast

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
this is my old next door neighbor's car. I've worked on this thing with him over the years. It's a BLAST to drive, and a really nicely done resto.
Had an '82 for a couple years when I was in college. Super fun car for sure, even at almost legal speed.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Been thinking about an electric car to replace CR-V, just tripped across a review on Ars Technica, just a fantasy at this point. Don't need the Mercedes HP or bling...
Before we got the wife's new whip we were talking about an EV. The next one will likely be EV, might even be my e-moto to start.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Been thinking about an electric car to replace CR-V, just tripped across a review on Ars Technica, just a fantasy at this point. Don't need the Mercedes HP or bling...
John, I'd suggest looking into the Hyundai Ioniq 5 and Kia EV6. Both have hitch options iirc and are practical 2 row hatchbacks. Fast quick charging for road trips if that's relevant to you.

Blown240

Monkey
Nov 19, 2013
I got offered a free 4.3L Vortec V6 and a 4l60 trans. Im debating if I want to swap it into my sons 61 Falcon... It would be great once its done, but the work would be huge. The motor is coming out of a running truck that a buddy is putting a twin turbo 4.8 into, but its got 160k miles, so we would have to go thru it first.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I got offered a free 4.3L Vortec V6 and a 4l60 trans. Im debating if I want to swap it into my sons 61 Falcon... It would be great once its done, but the work would be huge. The motor is coming out of a running truck that a buddy is putting a twin turbo 4.8 into, but its got 160k miles, so we would have to go thru it first.
Buy a raptor.

junkyard

You might feel a little prick.
Sep 1, 2015
San Diego
I had a couple falcon rancheros that I couldn’t give away. Granted both were t-boned. But the things just arnt worth much running so I can’t see putting that much effort and it being more fun than the stock setup. Let me know if you need parts.
9E80A82E-DE06-460B-A216-F2A04A336535.jpeg

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
John, I'd suggest looking into the Hyundai Ioniq 5 and Kia EV6. Both have hitch options iirc and are practical 2 row hatchbacks. Fast quick charging for road trips if that's relevant to you.
I can't watch ioniq 5 videos because it makes me angry that I'd have to pay $60k for a $40k car. They are beautiful, practical, and clearly the path forward for EVs (in terms of normal people in normal cars)....but I have not enjoyed any of my very limited hyundai dealership experiences and I can only imagine dealer markup right now. So, I don't want to see how nice they are.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Isn't tesla notorious for playing dumb games with their sales figures? Like they will artificially deflate sales numbers one quarter so the next one they can sElL MoRE CArS ThAn ANyOnE ElSE!?!?!?! the next? Look at the chart and how their sales have dropped the same time every year, year on year. Next month we'll see an article about how tesla is blowing everybody else out of the water, when in reality they just held their cars back a month so they could deliver more than Kia this month.

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
.but I have not enjoyed any of my very limited hyundai dealership experiences and I can only imagine dealer markup right now. So, I don't want to see how nice they are.
I can't believe dealers are marking these things up for customers that live in their market, poor business practice IMO. You know the Ioniq 5 comes with 2 years complimentary 30 minute fast charging sessions fo free :pleasantry:

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Hyundai and Kia's are vaporware up here. The dealerships around me don't even have any new ones for sale and their used inventory is 95% other brands.

But you can turn around and go to a Dodge dealership and have your pick of any Ram that's been sitting there for months.

Poops McDougal

moving to australia
May 30, 2007
Central California
Hyundai and Kia's are vaporware up here. The dealerships around me don't even have any new ones for sale and their used inventory is 95% other brands.

But you can turn around and go to a Dodge dealership and have your pick of any Ram that's been sitting there for months.
Same over here. Ram trucks a-plenty, low stock of everything else new.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I can't believe dealers are marking these things up for customers that live in their market, poor business practice IMO. You know the Ioniq 5 comes with 2 years complimentary 30 minute fast charging sessions fo free :pleasantry:
MSRP is 52k on this ioniq 5. Currently on sale for 57k. Used, by the way.

It's hard to see which dealers were marking things up and weren't. I wanted to go new last round, and I wanted an EV. At least $5k markup on the stangE. I didn't wait around for the ioniq. Heck, the trucklet santa cruz was selling for 6K over MSRP.

I am anxious to see what happens to EV sales as local utility companies are just about doubling electric rates this winter. I gotta think about solar....

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
:think:

View attachment 182533

Cool, I'll grant you, but beautiful? In the eye of the beholder I guess

My neighborhood is absolutely lousy with these things, I think there's 8 just in my little area, plus maybe a dozen more in the surrounding neighborhoods.

Fair, maybe not beautiful, but really fuckin' cool looking. I love the green:

In a world of Jelly bean, tall jelly bean, short jelly bean, and squished jelly bean, do something different.

jebfour

Turbo Monkey
Jun 19, 2003
CLT, NC
This may not be a big with the EV crowd but when this thing lights off it’s like (very loud) angels singing. I wish Can-Am was still a thing.